Heaven Society - Week 66 (Gurren Lagann)

vfAXr6z.png

This Week's Anime!

Gurren Lagann

dafHopY.jpg

Synopsis

In a faraway future, mankind lives underground in huge caves, unknowing of a world above with a sky and stars.

In the small village of Jiha, Simon, a shy boy who works as a digger discovers a strange glowing object during excavation. The enterprising Kamina, a young man with a pair of rakish sunglasses and the passion of a fiery sun, befriends Simon and forms a small band of brothers, the Gurren Brigade, to escape the village and break through the ceiling of the cave to reach the surface, which few believe exist.

The village elder won't hear of such foolishness and punishes the Brigade. However, when disaster strikes from the world above and the entire village is in jeopardy, it's up to Simon, Kamina, a girl with a big gun named Yoko, and the small yet sturdy robot, Lagann, to save the day.

The new friends journey to the world above and find that the surface is a harsh battlefield, and it's up to them to fight back against the rampaging Beastmen to turn the tide in the humans' favor! Pierce the heavens, Gurren Lagann!

Read more at MAL

Links to Watch

Crunchyroll

Hulu

Member Tags

@Luclocke @MyInnerFred @RainColt @TheProfosist @Rockmandash12 @CatCloud @Charger @iSaeko=(@Oshino Shinobu) @Jaybird @Cryptonite @DarkCrow @EChondo @killers993 @Epitome @GokuLy @lutewan @Izaya Orihara @squirrl @oc0110 @Legion @Laforet @Admire @yurihellsing @EmotionalSloth @Katsu-K1L @TetraSky @Ivyk @Typho @TheGFXNovice @Fruits Punch Samurai G @frustratedrocka @Purple Spy @Sky Daddy @Adamu @Smiles1946 @GloriousPain @gastew15 @Vitalius @Le Lion de Barreras @Kagami Tsukino @DigitalHermit @Unbr34k4bl3 @Noire @Randomacts @c3p0_ @Rashy @ThyFeared @That Norwegian Guy @ThyFeared @wng_kingsley7 @Trogdor8freebird @Rising @brownninja97 @Marvzl1357 @achillesviper @Laputacake @xnoobftw @ArkAngel_X @wolfgang @Daegun @DudeWazap @eelnico09 @Jerakl @Tr3vor @Belgarionbg @Pugs501 @Silver Knight @MageofFaith @KRImSIN @cae @Ploooopp @Phorlorn @BurgerBum @Kukielka @Mujteba @Ruostunut kokis @tobben @Delusional Phil @Laederem @GrimNeo @Makeishura/Taurus Silver @Kizer0918 @Maheshvara @PercySavageEG @SHAD0WxF1R3 @ DollarPCJunior @Opask @soaringchicken @JoeyDM @shanky887614 @Tokuninashi @ NormalJoe @Zer0r8ing @Pomfinator @zappian @Xaring @KingCry @JuztBe @ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen @Brainless906 @azurezeed @ilove64 @Jacona @BashZeStampeedo @thorbrantly101 @ultralars @Pohernori @Xsinar @ONOTech @ManOfDisguise @Tonylu1595 @ICantThinkOfAnyGoodName @Createinator @RedSphyxis @ZeroGenesis @Miqle @Nater @Jack_of_all_Trades @shadowblitz3 @Oasis @dragoon20005 @JarekBloodDragon @beach_boy98 @Gigamegabyte @dr_deconstruct @Skybane @MeMe @Oasis @dragoon20005 @MoonSpot @RazerZ @TheGingerKid @_INTER_ @MeDownYou @Enferk @Oskar94a @FrenziedComet @8uhbbhu8 @Biferony @cesrai @TakaIcscp @Technicolors @flip1012 @MechEdge @Vlazzy @Nuluvius @valdyrgramr @Avericious @LazyLizard @o0Martin @themaniac @Remilia @BrandonTheCat @ElfenSky @AbsolDestiny @Swindless @AyBuild @nomnom123qwe @SsidError @mosin40 @JerkyMcDilerino @Chronos5618 @Arc_Jester @NuroKnight @Zayzo @I need a better name @Pandalf @Mike_The_B0ss @NeatSquidYT @BLJohnFreeman @DiscoLights2001 @JessicaH

Use LinusTechTips Sponsor Crunchyroll to support LTT!

Visit http://crunchyroll.com/linus for a free 30 day trial

If you're interested in becoming a member please head over to the main club thread for more information.

This is a poll that is created from a list of suggested anime from the Anime Suggestion Submission thread. If there is any anime you think the club should watch and discuss please suggest it there.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I've never gotten into Gurren Lagann. It's one of the series I've tried again and again to watch, but can't get passed the first few episodes (just like One Piece) 

Episode one felt too over the top for me. *shrugs* maybe one day... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

We progress yet into another week!

Keep warm, don't let the cold give you a fever!

a554f3f492774b12dcdcd3d01439c1bdd3740808

I'm not sure what's going on in that scene. Nisemonogatari makes me think toothbrush. 

I'm liking the ears. 

eruruu_1.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on in that scene. Nisemonogatari makes me think toothbrush. 

I'm liking the ears. 

It's Momiji checking Cirno's temperature. Cirno is a ice fairy in Touhou, so her running a fever and needing her temperature checked is ironic. 

ffbf3b663e9527876b1420e979c697f7681df526

I hate mechas, I love guren lagan.
I'm mostly fascinated by Yuko. Usually fan service characters have nothing besides that, and they feel wrong. Thees series is exact opposite, she is treated with respect. It feels right when it's her time to kick ass, say something smart, show  titties or it's a depressing moment.
SPOILERS

Haven't seen any other anime witch kills main character in begging of series(ones who revives later does not count). I was surprised and even shocked a bit when after couple of episodes later Kamina haven't been revived by the power of friendship.

// On a side note: Dub is awesome. Like Christmas every day/10

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

This is one of the series that I couldn't hate...

Especially how they managed to fuse opera and rap effectively...

It's Momiji checking Cirno's temperature. Cirno is a ice fairy in Touhou, so her running a fever and needing her temperature checked is ironic.

looks more like her mouth is being painted on. Anyways stop fucking posting irreverent images in these threads. At least post fucking fan art related to the picked anime.

I knew this one was going to end up winning.

I probably won't be re-watching it though. This is the kind of anime you watch once just to see what it's about and never watch it again because none of it make any sense when you actually give it your full attention.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I hate mechas, I love guren lagan.

So mechas are different in Gurren Lagann or play a negligable role? I hate mechas.

// programmers paradox

try { return true; } finally { return false; }

So mechas are different in Gurren Lagann or play a negligable role? I hate mechas.

They play a huge role. Mechas are only way Guren Lagan was able to scale to that kind of sizes.

I'm sucker for good characters and their development and GL was able to provide me with that. Even if it's mechas it has really well made and animated fighting scenes. 

I still had thoughts like "More mechas, great...." 

TL;DR Mechas were bearable because other things witch are important for me were well executed

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

looks more like her mouth is being painted on. Anyways stop fucking posting irreverent images in these threads. At least post fucking fan art related to the picked anime.

You'll get half out of me at most.

sample_d0e66730f9229b30ee98257da3b1ab06d

All those memorable quotes...

GIGA DRILLLL BREAKER!!!!!!

Your drill is the drill that will pearce the heavens!

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the me who believes in you!

Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself!

ORE WO DARE DA TO OMOTTE YAGARU!!!

Row, row, fight the powah!

A true man never dies ... even when he's killed

peopledie.jpg

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I've never gotten into Gurren Lagann. It's one of the series I've tried again and again to watch, but can't get passed the first few episodes (just like One Piece) 

Episode one felt too over the top for me. *shrugs* maybe one day... 

So here's the thing about that. If episode one of TTGL was too over the top for you, it's not a series you should ever try to watch. Because it only goes further after that. 

It's Kill La Kill, but for Mechas instead of Shounen. Except TTGL is just (and I mean just) low enough in terms of "over the top-ness" to still feel somewhat like "this has a story that I actually kinda care about". Whereas, for me, for KLK, it's like "this is so ridiculous, I don't even care about the story one bit". 

IDK. I watched them at different points in my life (TTGL when I was 16, and KLK when I was 20), so that may be the entire reason right there why I feel differently about each.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So here's the thing about that. If episode one of TTGL was too over the top for you, it's not a series you should ever try to watch. Because it only goes further after that. 

It's Kill La Kill, but for Mechas instead of Shounen. Except TTGL is just (and I mean just) low enough in terms of "over the top-ness" to still feel somewhat like "this has a story that I actually kinda care about". Whereas, for me, for KLK, it's like "this is so ridiculous, I don't even care about the story one bit". 

IDK. I watched them at different points in my life (TTGL when I was 16, and KLK when I was 20), so that may be the entire reason right there why I feel differently about each.

I don't mind over the top anime when they know that they are over the top and do it well. 

I enjoyed Kill La Kill, but it was never about the story. It was about the OTT visuals and characters. 

Wait a second.... that last one doesn't belong there...

Maybe if you lay off the drinking you would remember that scene next time.

Cat is right.

f0b81746f9f406bd724ab7299e362d094997b1a2

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Maybe if you lay off the drinking you would remember that scene next time.

:)

Hey it's got nothing to do with my drinking or lack thereof! I haven't seen the show!

The last quote I was referring to was that image from the Fate/stay series.

God damn it, @MyInnerFred I love this anime I've already watched it three times. HERE COMES NUMBER FOUR!

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But.. Katanagatari...  *sighs*

Well, it's time to watch Gurren Lagann again then

*puts on sunglasses*

(Yeah, THESE sunglasses)

And failing to act, for fear of the risk, is no different than a living death. No matter what world you’re in.