BOINC Pentathlon 2024

Dates: 05 May 2024 00:00 UTC - 19 May 2023 00:00 UTC

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php

image.thumb.png.523fefb220e975c086f6ec9428afbf2f.png

The Pentathlon is an annual event for several BOINC teams to compete across five disciplines (five different BOINC projects) to gain points and win medals.  Several teams, but only one team comes out as the winner.  The event last for over two weeks.  If you up to the challenge, come on and join the team in competing in the pentathlon and see if your hardware can handle the heat.

image.thumb.png.d2f9475536affcd00844950276a20d66.png

Team Name: LinusTechTips_Team

Contacts: TBA

What is BOINC?: https://linustechtips.com/topic/151235-official-ltt-boinc-faq-guide/

Events:

Marathon

• Project:  PrimeGrid: only subproject Cullen Prime Search LLR (CUL)
  • Resource Usage: CPU
  • Start:  05 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • End:  19 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • User Provided Setup Guide:  TBA

Sprint

City Run

• Project: TBA
  • Resource Usage: TBA
  • Start:  TBA
  • End:  TBA
  • User Provided Setup Guide: TBA

Steeplechase

• Project: TBA
  • Resource Usage: TBA
  • StartTBA
  • End: TBA

Javelin Throw

• Project: TBA
  • Resource Usage:  TBA
  • Start: TBA
  • End: TBA

Bunker Technique

An advance technique used during the Pentathlon to hold a large amount of WUs (Work Units) before a discipline start date.

Windows 7/8/10

Spoiler

How to setup multiple instances of BOINC

Advance BOINC Pent bunker technique

The following is a technique referred to as bunkering in the Pent.  The advantage of this technique is to hold many WUs that are crunch ahead of time before a discipline (BOINC project) start date occurs.  Once the discipline start date hits, the WUs are then off loaded from the client allowing a large amount of points to be gained at the start.

The technique is even used near the end of discipline dates to gain last minute advantages as well.  Usually can be seen when a team shows low output in one or two disciplines then all of a sudden a large amount of points are dumped on one project as the end date nears.  This can allow a team to take a higher spot at the end before other teams can react.

Note: this technique is not useful on projects with quorum 2.

Steps to setup another instance of BOINC for bunker technique:

Windows Method

1. First, create a new folder in C:\ProgramData
    • Example:  
      C:\ProgramData\BOINC2

2. Edit the cc_config.xml file to include the allow_multiple_clients option.
    • Example: 
      <cc_config>   
       	<options>    
        		<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>    
        		<allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>   
       	</options> 
      </cc_config>  

3. Next, creat a batch file in the new BOINC folder.
    • Example: 
      "c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2 
      exit  

Note: Default port for BOINC is 31416.  Each instance requires its own port.  This is what the --gui_rpc_port sets.

•  

4. Run the batch file.  This will start another instance of BOINC which can now be setup to download and run more WUs to bunker with.

Now, you have another instance of BOINC running.  Next is to hook this instance to the BOINC Manager.

Connecting BOINC Manager to the new instance:

1. Create a new shortcut.
    • Rename this to the instance of BOINC made.  Example: BOINC2
  2. Copy the random letters and numbers from gui_rpc_auth.cfg.  This is the password.
  3. Edit the 'Target' line of the BOINC2 Shortcut to include the new port # and new password (this the random letters and numbers).
    • Example: 
      "C:\Program Files\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /m /n 127.0.0.1 /g 31418 /p 37cf632b718387f4675342371b4055cc  

LL

• /g is for the port number you set for the new instance.  /p is for the random letters and numbers from the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file.

If requested, I will add the method for Linux.

Linux (conformed for Ubuntu and Mint) - if anyone else manage to get this to work on other Linux branches, please ping me or Ben so those can be added to the list.

Spoiler

NOTE:  Linux is case sensitive

All steps below are done within the terminal (Bash shell).  Shortcut for terminal:  Control+Shift+T

1. Create data directory for extra instances of BOINC.
    • sudo mkdir /var/lib/boinc2

For those not fully familiar with the Bash shell,  sudo - gives super user permission; mkdir - make directory (or as others refer, a folder), /var/lib/boinc2  -  path and directory name

2. Create cc_config.xml file.
    • sudo gedit /var/lib/boinc2/cc_config.xml

gedit - text editor; if you don't have this, you can use nano or vi or other text editors avaliable to Linux

3. Past text info cc_config.xml
    • <cc_config>         
       <options>                 
        <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>                 
        <allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>         
       </options> 
      </cc_config>  

This is to allow GPU usage and multiple clients to run.

4. Create a blank gui_rpc_auth.cfg
    • sudo gedit /var/lib/gui_rpc_auth.cfg

nano or vi or other text editors can be used here

5. Start BOINC Client Instance
    • sudo /usr/bin/boinc --daemon --allow_multiple_clients --gui_rpc_port 31422 --dir /var/lib/boinc2

--gui_rpc_port sets the port for the client instance.  --dir is the directory you made for the new instance in step 1.

To add to the BOINC Manager

1. Start BOINC
  2. Start your newly created BOINC instance.
  3. Go to "File" -> "Select computer..."
  4. For the hostname, enter 127.0.0.1:31422 (the number after the colon is the port number you set the new instance to)

Note: each new instance requires a different port.

Looks like I'll be birthday boincing

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I am down! My slow computer working BOINC can help with a couple of WUs.

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

@dogwitch

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ceecv4ymk0zujqziy91

Fine, I've updated the topic

a lead eater shout out... should i feed or not feed you lead?

we need also some prime grid!  workers.

mostly seeing its me as leader and like really 9 other normal doing any wu on said site.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

So what is this boinc Im interested but don't know what is but it sounds cool. what do I need to know?

7 minutes ago, Ag32645 said:

So what is this boinc Im interested but don't know what is but it sounds cool. what do I need to know?

It's very similar to Folding@Home, which actually start out as a BOINC project then later splitting off to it's own thing. Academics can setup 'BOINC Projects' and BOINC users and sign up to one or many projects and get issues Work Units. It's a little more complicated than Folding@Home because you have to sign up to each project either through the BOINC Client App or sometimes (rarely) on the Project Website itself.

The BOINC Pentathlon has a total of 5 different Projects over the 2 weeks that run at different times and some over lap with others, it's team focused event rather than induvial so no stress about not being able to do all the project that are active at the same time. People will say here which one we think needs to be focused on etc.

So is there  a specific software I need, minimum specs on my PC , will a gaming laptop be fine( 11th Gen i7 rtx3050)?

7 minutes ago, Ag32645 said:

So is there  a specific software I need, minimum specs on my PC , will a gaming laptop be fine( 11th Gen i7 rtx3050)?

You should be OK so long as you're comfortable running it on your laptop. I've crunched out some WUs on a Raspberry Pi 5.

Here's the link to the LTT walkthrough on how to set it up your computer for BOINC

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

13 minutes ago, HoldSquat said:

You should be OK so long as you're comfortable running it on your laptop. I've crunched out some WUs on a Raspberry Pi 5.

Here's the link to the LTT walkthrough on how to set it up your computer for BOINC

Cool thank you

Do the WU's favour CPU or GPU? I may boot some of my EPYC servers for the duration, but those are GPU-less so they'd be use-less ( 😉 ) on GPU-biased WU's :old-eyeroll:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

Do the WU's favour CPU or GPU? I may boot some of my EPYC servers for the duration, but those are GPU-less so they'd be use-less ( 😉 ) on GPU-biased WU's :old-eyeroll:

Isn't EPYC almost a GPU?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

3 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

There are 5 disciplines/events, they will either be CPU or GPU so anyone can help out even if only CPU since there will be something for you do to. Teamwork and coordination makes getting higher ranks in each work out the best. 

Marathon is basically always a CPU only project and that is a good one to throw systems at and not touch for the event if you can't switch projects and manage them much.

Let's go!!

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

@leadeater OK, I'll give it a whirl. Does require some shuffling of hardware, getting networking in place and some other stuff, but it should be manageable.

I happen to have a number of pre-Zen AMD systems (bare: just board, CPU and RAM) in working condition, I suppose they won't contribute much, especially compared to my EPYC7551P systems. I doubt I have enough PSU's to power them anyway. Worth investigating?

10 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

I happen to have a number of pre-Zen AMD systems (bare: just board, CPU and RAM) in working condition, I suppose they won't contribute much, especially compared to my EPYC7551P systems. I doubt I have enough PSU's to power them anyway. Worth investigating?

Depends what they are, if old Intel and more than 4 cores per system then can make a difference, if not then don't worry unless we get desperate lol. Even so probably best not to run anything that is costly to do so and next to worthless.

Could just get one going and run it for a few hours to get a baseline of what it would do then can math it out over 24 hours by X number of systems.

I have some AM2(+), AM3(+), FM1 and FM2 socket boards laying around. As you said, I might not even bother firing these up. Although they'll use significantly less power then the EPYC systems I have, they are 4 cores at most, run on DDR3 RAM at best but have the computing power of a potato compared to my Zen systems (EPYC and Ryzen). 🕳️

Will Einstein be one of the projects? My account there is closest to the million point threshold for the forum badge.

Could contribute a couple 6700Ks and 2nd-4th gen mobile i7s along with a Phenom II.

Listens to WAN show while doing dishes. 😊 Living in 2024 with a tech attitude stuck in 2010.

So how does this work? Just use my pc's power while its idling? Is this also how people have acquired the BOINC badge?

1 hour ago, Blasty Blosty said:

So how does this work? Just use my pc's power while its idling? Is this also how people have acquired the BOINC badge?

You can set it up such that it only does work after a fixed amount of time (that you can specify) of being idle, or you can let it run the whole time. On modern PCs, most projects don't slow down day-to-day operations by a lot. And yes, this is one of the ways you can get BOINC badges.

16 hours ago, WiscoMetro said:

Will Einstein be one of the projects? My account there is closest to the million point threshold for the forum badge.

I believe it's one million points over all projects where you're supporting LTT (i.e. where your team is set to LTT), not just over one project.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

1 minute ago, rkv_2401 said:

You can set it up such that it only does work after a fixed amount of time (that you can specify) of being idle, or you can let it run the whole time. On modern PCs, most projects don't slow down day-to-day operations by a lot. And yes, this is one of the ways you can get BOINC badges

Ah I see, so similar to Folding @ Home?