Heaven Society - Week 73 Anime Poll

Week 73 Anime Club Polling  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Series Should The Club Watch This Week?

• Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    • Little Busters!
    • AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day
    • Battle Programmer Shirase
    • King of Thorn

vfAXr6z.png
It's time to pick week 73's series! Polling will be up for 24 - 48 hours.

Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Current 

This series was recommended by @TheGFXNovice saying "I cannot stop recommending this anime ... The 2011 version is still ongoing but it's currently one of my favorite animes of all time. It's a really dark but it presents lots of very deep arguments and ideas, and for people like me   You'll love it! (I recommend watching the 2011 version, it's better paced in the couple of first arcs)"

Synopsis

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is set in a world where Hunters exist to perform all manner of dangerous tasks like capturing criminals and bravely searching for lost treasures in uncharted territories. Twelve-year-old Gon Freecss is determined to become the best Hunter possible in hopes of finding his father, who was a Hunter himself and had long ago abandoned his young son. However, Gon soon realizes the path to achieving his goals is far more challenging than he could have ever imagined.

Along the way to becoming an official Hunter, Gon befriends the lively doctor-in-training Leorio, vengeful Kurapika, and rebellious ex-assassin Killua. To attain their own goals and desires, together the four of them take the Hunter Exam, notorious for its low success rate and high probability of death. Throughout their journey, Gon and his friends embark on an adventure that puts them through many hardships and struggles. They will meet a plethora of monsters, creatures, and characters—all while learning what being a Hunter truly means.

Read more at MAL

15df7bc2e44c5b7d6dbb577b4af4e2d913427256

Little Busters!
Recent 

This series was recommended by @eelnico09  & @azurezeed saying "Fun slice of life, relaxing, it's about a group of friends that decide to make a baseball team with the group, main character with a weird desiese (narcolepsy). The comedy is great." & "Another Key anime, the comedy here is great, but the way the anime ends... you wouldn't expect that but then if you go back everything makes sense, key really know how to make some unexpected developments."

Synopsis

When tragedy struck Riki Naoe as a child, he was rescued from grief over his parents' deaths when four other kids "recruited" him for their group—the "Little Busters." Now in high school, Riki and the other Busters are still fast friends, and though their vision of being heroes for justice may have faded, they'd still do anything for each other. Which is why Riki is now on TWO special missions. The not so secret one: recruiting new members so the Busters can form a baseball team. Preferably FEMALE recruits, as the current dude/babe ratio is an inconvenient 4 to 1. The OTHER mission, though... That's the strange one. Because Riki and Rin, the group's singular girl, are receiving odd messages, delivered by cats, concerning the existence of a "secret world" and assigning them tasks they have to complete. Were their youthful dreams of being crusaders not so fanciful after all? Or is there something even more vital at stake? Between steeling his courage to talk to girls, dealing with his own narcolepsy and facing his feelings concerning Rin, Riki may just need the strength of a superhero to solve the ultimate mystery of the Little Busters!

Read more at MAL

XwNefeY.jpg

AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Post-2007

This series was recommended by @RainColt saying "This series is so good that just the song can bring me to tears."

Synopsis

After a tragic accident during their childhood, Jinta and his group of friends split apart and live separate lives. Now in high school, the group is drawn together once more by an unknown force. Ano Hana, short for Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (We Still Don’t Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day), is a drama and slice of life anime series following the lives of these students and the friendship they once had, as they re-discover guilt, anger, friendship, happiness, and so much more.

Will Jinta Yadomi, Tetsudou Hisakawa, Naruko Anjou, Matsuyuki Atsumu and Chiriko Tsurumi find the strength to repair broken bonds?

Read more at MAL

rAXrIMo.jpg

Battle Programmer Shirase
Pre-2007

This series was recommended by @TheProfosist saying ""Supralegal Measures.""

Synopsis

Battle Programmer Shirase, also known as BPS, is a free programmer with super hacking abilities who doesn't work for money. What he does work for is certainly something that only people like him would appreciate. But, his demeanor certainly doesn't suit the jobs he is hired for. With the evil King of America causing trouble via the internet, Shirase is nothing but busy as each new adventure brings even more interesting people into the picture.

Read more at MAL

uRltOpc.jpg

King of Thorn
Random

This series was recommended by @Vitalius saying "The CGI in this movie is absolutely terrible. I'm getting that out of the way now. However, I really did enjoy watching it. The mystery/reverse "who dun it" story was pretty awesome. The end has a great twist (M. Night Shyamalan level), and it was pretty good overall. The CGI is like poison to me though. I want to rank it higher, but I can't because of that."

Synopsis

"Medusa," a deadly virus becomes a worldwide epidemic. In order to escape from this deadly virus, a handful of people are chosen to be put into a cold sleep, laying in a capsule hoping for the future cure. Kasumi, a teenage girl is one of the 160 chosen for this procedure, and is guided to a Cold Sleep Capsule Center (CSCC) inside an ancient castle. Understanding that it is hardly possible, Kasumi goes to sleep still anticipating for a reunion with her twin sister Shizuku, who also is infected with the virus. As Kasumi and the others awake, they notice that the CSCC is not as they remembered. Just like the story of "Sleeping Beauty," the castle is covered with thorn, and the awaken are attacked by unknown creatures and monsters! How long were they asleep? Where did the monsters come from? What has happened to the world?

Abandoned in the midst of an enigma, the escapade of the seven survivors begins...

Read more at MAL

V87M3Sm.jpg?1

Member Tags

@Luclocke @MyInnerFred @RainColt @TheProfosist @Rockmandash12 @CatCloud @Charger @iSaeko=(@Oshino Shinobu) @Jaybird @Cryptonite @DarkCrow @EChondo @killers993 @Epitome @GokuLy @lutewan @Izaya Orihara @squirrl @oc0110 @Legion @Laforet @Admire @yurihellsing @EmotionalSloth @Katsu-K1L @TetraSky @Ivyk @Typho @TheGFXNovice @Fruits Punch Samurai G @frustratedrocka @Purple Spy @Sky Daddy@Adamu @Smiles1946 @GloriousPain @gastew15 @Vitalius @Le Lion de Barreras @Kagami Tsukino @DigitalHermit @Unbr34k4bl3 @Noire @Randomacts @Rashy @ThyFeared @That Norwegian Guy @wng_kingsley7@Trogdor8freebird @Rising @brownninja97 @Marvzl1357 @achillesviper @Laputacake @xnoobftw @ArkAngel_X @wolfgang @Daegun @DudeWazap @eelnico09 @Jerakl @Tr3vor @Belgarionbg @Pugs501 @Silver Knight@MageofFaith @KRImSIN @cae @Ploooopp @Phorlorn @BurgerBum @Kukielka @Mujteba @Ruostunut kokis @tobben @Delusional Phil @Laederem @GrimNeo @Kizer0918 @Maheshvara @PercySavageEG@SHAD0WxF1R3 @Opask @soaringchicken @JoeyDM @Tokuninashi @Pomfinator @zappian @Xaring @KingCry @JuztBe @ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen @Brainless906 @azurezeed @Jacona @BashZeStampeedo@thorbrantly101 @Pohernori @Xsinar @ONOTech @ManOfDisguise @ICantThinkOfAnyGoodName @Createinator @RedSphyxis @ZeroGenesis @Nater @Jack_of_all_Trades @shadowblitz3 @Oasis @dragoon20005@JarekBloodDragon @beach_boy98 @Skybane  @MoonSpot @RazerZ @TheGingerKid @_INTER_ @MeDownYou @Enferk @Oskar94a @FrenziedComet @8uhbbhu8 @Biferony @cesrai @TakaIcscp @Technicolors @Vlazzy@Nuluvius @valdyrgramr @Avericious @LazyLizard @o0Martin @themaniac @Remilia @BrandonTheCat @ElfenSky @Swindless @AyBuild @SsidError @mosin40 @Chronos5618 @Arc_Jester @NuroKnight @Zayzo @I need a better name @Pandalf @Mike_The_B0ss @NeatSquidYT @BLJohnFreeman @JessicaH @zymax_be @Crowes @PCgamer324 @NymeiaChuu

If you're interested in becoming a member please head over to the main club thread for more information.
This is a poll that is created from a list of suggested anime from the Anime Suggestion Submission Thread. If there is any anime you think the club should watch and discuss please suggest it there.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

eh. are we running out of submissions or smth? i feel like 3 of these are featured not so long ago :| 

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

AnoHana: Seen it, pretty good but maybe not as stellar as many would have it

HxH: Dropped after 3 episodes. And it has like 147?

Little Busters: I don't watch adaptations of Visual Novels I have yet to complete

The other 2: don't have suspension of disbelief for those.

Going to vote AnoHana and take the opportunity to watch the movie this time.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Man, this one is hard.

I want to say Little Busters... But the anime was boring for me, compared to the Visual Novel. I don't know why, it just didn't have the same "feel" to it.

I've watched like 2 episodes of AnoHana, it wasn't for me, dropped it. I know quite a few people who liked it a lot though. But I'm done with Dramas and tearjerkers, that ain't what I watch anime for anymore.

HunterXHunter, friend of mine watched it, he keeps pestering me to watch it because "it's so good!", I saw that it was incomplete and the manga was on an indefinite hiatus, didn't see the point to even start it. Will wait until it's done, if ever. (I'm also doing the same thing with others series.. like Game of Thrones, never even tried watching the tv series, I want to read the books, so I know literally nothing of it)

And I know nothing of the other two.

So.... .... Eeeeeeh..... Well I guess I'll go with the popular vote and say HxH. Won't be watching it though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

AnoHana or HunterxHunter, I haven't seen the first but I loved the second

Deleted code is debugged code.

Hunter x Hunter has its huge fans, but it's really uneven and long. It can be tough to slog through the blander and more boring and dumb bits to get to the best bits. Especially since the 2011 version sticks to a bland tone and flat production values compared to the '99 version, but the '99 version doesn't get to the best parts of the story (because the mangaka took so damn long to write them). I think there's a great kid's story in here that's practically lost in a sea of shiny sludge, so it's surprisingly tough to recommend it.

AnoHana isn't for everyone, but it's one of the best of its kind. It's a heartstring-puller, but at least it's honest about its motivations and surprisingly well directed compared to its contemporaries (especially for an A-1 production). The story is silly, but it's sincere enough to make it work if you don't actively fight against it.

Little Busters is precisely one of those contemporaries of AnoHana that I'm talking about. It's a Key VN adaptation, which means really silly and paper-thin characters that we're supposed to somehow take seriously when the dramabombs are dropped. If you find it hard to care about stock anime characters then it's tough to even get to that point, and Key twists are usually so goofy that it's hard to take them seriously in the first place. But they're practically a drug for people who like cheesy emotional manipulation.

I haven't watched King of Thorn, but I've heard that it's alright if you don't mind the CGI. I doubt most people will give it a chance because of the CGI, though.

Shirase is at best a guilty pleasure. It's not shy about its weirdness, doesn't make much sense, and isn't one to watch for the production values either. It's just a quirky comedy not to be taken seriously, and it contains stuff that will probably make your eyes roll. It does have its moments, but don't expect much.

5 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

I haven't watched King of Thorn, but I've heard that it's alright if you don't mind the CGI. I doubt most people will give it a chance because of the CGI, though.

seeing as i hate appleseed because of the cgi makes me assume i will not like that lol

Just now, Charger said:

seeing as i hate appleseed because of the cgi makes me assume i will not like that lol

Appleseed is renowned for its CGI sucktitude compared to stuff like King of Thorn.

2 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Appleseed is renowned for its CGI sucktitude compared to stuff like King of Thorn.

sounds about right lol

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ya, but the guy who did the art for Yu Yu Hakusho did the art for Hunter x Hunger.  So, that's why we need to watch it.

The artwork is often quite terrible in the manga, and the 2011 version has such bland direction that it wouldn't matter much. I'd recommend watching the '99 version instead if that's what you're after, and then switch over after the Yorkshin arc to the '11 version. See here if you're not sure what I mean (spoilers).

1 minute ago, Charger said:

@BashZeStampeedo I kind of think I dont really hate bad cgi as I hate anime only made of bad cgi lol. I like samurai seven and that had some bad cgi but I liked the anime overall.

Yeah, that's a pretty common sentiment. Personally I don't care, because anime tend to such at conveying emotion anyhow without relying on music or still-frame poses, so the difference is negligible in practice if the director of the CGI show is skilled enough (like with Bubuki Buranki, but that has bigger problems than its CGI).

Hey look that bus crashed. 

I voted for the Green Party...

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Hard choice, I remember seeing most of the options in others polls, not that i'm complaining

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

22 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

AnoHana isn't for everyone, but it's one of the best of its kind. It's a heartstring-puller, but at least it's honest about its motivations and surprisingly well directed compared to its contemporaries (especially for an A-1 production). The story is silly, but it's sincere enough to make it work if you don't actively fight against it.

It wasn't the best show I've watched, by far, but that sincerety made it. Voted.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

AnalHana... I already hear it again: Menma Menma Menma buhuhuhu

// programmers paradox

try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Just now, _INTER_ said:

AnalHana... I already hear it again: Menma Menma Menma buhuhuhu

Well someone clearly doesn't like tearjerkers :)

2 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Well someone clearly doesn't like tearjerkers :)

I don't like crybabies "MC" 's (looking at you Deadman Wonderland and Shingeki). That lame dude is mental through 11 episodes.

// programmers paradox

try { return true; } finally { return false; }

10 minutes ago, _INTER_ said:

I don't like crybabies "MC" 's (looking at you Deadman Wonderland and Shingeki). That lame dude is mental through 11 episodes.

All of the characters in AnoHana are "crybabies" in a sense, but well... that's the point of the series. It's about kids having to get over themselves and come to terms with a tragic event, and some of them are truly screwed up because of it. Not that it necessarily does a perfect job of it, but it clues you in pretty much right away that it's not aiming to be a dramatic masterpiece, just a tearjerker.