China to limit minors to 3 hours of video games per week

Message added by Skiiwee29,

Friendly reminder, Keep this on the GAMING side and ZERO politics!!

Summary

China's National Press and Publication Administration (NPPA) has issued rules restricting Chinese citizens under 18 to a maximum of 1 hour of playing a day, and only on the weekends. The move comes officially as a way to counter the "spiritual opium" of video gaming addiction, though many believe this is part of the state crackdown on the growth of large tech corporations, both internal and external to the Chinese mainland.

Quotes

[the new rules] limit under-18s to playing for one hour a day - 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. - on only Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, according to the Xinhua state news agency. They can also play for an hour, at the same time, on public holidays.

Gaming companies will be barred from providing services to minors in any form outside the stipulated hours and must ensure they have put real-name verification systems in place, said the regulator, which oversees the country's video games market.

My thoughts

It will be interesting to see how well this holds. Even in China, with all the sophisticated tracking tools, I can't imagine them tracking the cumulative playtime of a user cross-referenced over every game on any device, from PC to console to Mobile. It may be this is more a flex of the governmental muscles to remind the gaming companies that they operate at the pleasure of the state.

On a purely ethical level, I don't hate the idea of restrictions. As our own Linus Sebastian noted: we sort of expect a child's gaming to be limited -- by their parents. If the society at large is failing to do that, is it wrong for the state to try and step in? We know that modern games are making increasing use of gambling-style mechanics to both increase playtime and money spent. 3 hours a week seems a bit strict, however.

Sources

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-rolls-out-new-rules-minors-online-gaming-xinhua-2021-08-30/

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Seems very specific to not only limit the duration but specify the specific allowable window. Obviously this will have a significant impact on mobile and other online gaming, where providers are easier to detect and fine if they do not enforce the rules. Might not do anything to offline or local networked gaming, so that might shift what is played. How long before even non-online games will require a server ping to work? I think it is a thing already where single player games save metadata on server, but might become more widespread as a result of this.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If the society at large is failing to do that, is it wrong for the state to try and step in?

Yes. 

As the saying goes: give them an inch, and they'll take a mile. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, porina said:

Seems very specific to not only limit the duration but specify the specific allowable window. Obviously this will have a significant impact on mobile and other online gaming, where providers are easier to detect and fine if they do not enforce the rules. Might not do anything to offline or local networked gaming, so that might shift what is played. How long before even non-online games will require a server ping to work? I think it is a thing already where single player games save metadata on server, but might become more widespread as a result of this.

Yeah, forcing the entire cohort of multi-millions of Chinese children to all be gaming at the same hour sounds like a technical nightmare. At best, you will be paying for the server load that is maxed an hour a few days, then 50% or less of load for the rest of the week. $$$

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

2 minutes ago, Qub3d said:

Yeah, forcing the entire cohort of multi-millions of Chinese children to all be gaming at the same hour sounds like a technical nightmare. At best, you will be paying for the server load that is maxed an hour a few days, then 50% or less of load for the rest of the week. $$$

I do wonder, as a demographic, how many gamers are <18 vs older? That's the possible impact I guess. Again, I do suspect this is probably leaning more towards mobile gaming which is arguably more accessible.

I also had a further thought. If we're looking at PC gaming, most big name games these days are distributed through a launcher, either 1st party or some kinda store. They require an account and online authentication, so I think unless you limit yourself to DRM free games, even single player games could be restricted. You could use someone else's account who isn't restricted, with the obvious problems that come with that.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Does this means finally less Chinese modders in GTAO?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

... 3 hours is a bit ridiculous... that basically should kill "GAAS"? 

One can only hope lol, but still... ridiculous...

2 hours ago, porina said:

You could use someone else's account who isn't restricted, with the obvious problems that come with that.

wasnt there the other news recently that China now enforces face recognition in order to play games (for under 18 yo)? I wonder how this ties in with that - and also what happened to that rule, which seemed similarly  "ridiculous". 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

wasnt there the other news recently that China now enforces face recognition in order to play games (for under 18 yo)? I wonder how this ties in with that - and also what happened to that rule, which seemed similarly  "ridiculous". 

Must have missed that as I don't recall that one. Assuming it is a thing, again that points more towards mobile gaming where a camera is a given, which probably is not the case for PC or consoles.

25 minutes ago, porina said:

Must have missed that as I don't recall that one. Assuming it is a thing, again that points more towards mobile gaming where a camera is a given, which probably is not the case for PC or consoles.

It's basically the same story, just slightly different with additional forced face recognizing (because how would you enforce this otherwise!)

So, this isn't really new, the rules just keep changing Vader style lol... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Regardless of whether you think this is a sensible idea or not, you have to agree that 8pm to 9pm is a stupid time window to choose if (and it's a big if) you actually want them to be able to access gaming at all. Staring at a computer immediately before they are supposed to be going to sleep is the last thing they need, all it will do is wreck their sleep patterns. 4 to 5 might be more sensible.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

11 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Regardless of whether you think this is a sensible idea or not, you have to agree that 8pm to 9pm is a stupid time

There also won't be any issues at all when millions of kids try to go online/ log in *at the exact same time* 🤣

They could just as well outlaw gaming for kids altogether  (this is where this is going anyways seemingly)

Kinda sucks personally for me, vast majority i play with are Japanese or Chinese... wonder how this will affect me... Chinese definitely have more wild times when they're online,  Japanese are much more predictable, they definitely don't play during school or late evenings,  1 o'clock (their time) is end of story (the majority anyways)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Who actually wanted this?

I can't imagine companies are very happy about having to implement this system, and limit their user base.

I can't imagine minors are very happy about it either.

Some parents I'd imagine are happy about it, but at the same time I'd think that a lot of parents, especially those who trust their kids and think they behave appropriately will dislike this because they see their kids having something they like get taken away from them.

I guess some parents that dislike video games will be happy? It's pretty obvious that this isn't about gaming addiction or whatnot anyway, because the limits are way too restrictive. If spending one hour a day on the weekend on your hobby is "normal" then basically everyone who has a hobby is addicted to it. This is about enforcing control over Chinese citizens.

I wonder if this is a half-assed attempt on shutting down in-game gold farmers / sellers with a shotgun spread so wide that it affects everyone... then again, it's aimed at kids so idk how they actually know what's your age when playing a game. 

Interested in what the actual angle is here.  Were they worried that china kids were getting too westernized via video games and that threatens the party?  Everything China does is related to the party.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Interested in what the actual angle is here.  Were they worried that china kids were getting too westernized via video games and that threatens the party?  Everything China does is related to the party.

not sure of china has most of their own software down there, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue?

not to be talking about the various camps china has, from difference in people to gaming.

Various other topics around the stance china has around some of gaming, also if it goes back to different living standards and the youths want change.

Which would impact the more workaholic businesses and practices to "social rewards" that other parts have dealt with in their generation.

a set of freedom that would push some that wants be more like hong kong (how it used to be), something that goes against their current structure. and various other reasons.

48 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I wonder if this is a half-assed attempt on shutting down in-game gold farmers / sellers with a shotgun spread so wide that it affects everyone... then again, it's aimed at kids so idk how they actually know what's your age when playing a game. 

Korea has/had a system where you needed your governmental ID to access (some?) games. I only came across that as there were some I wanted to check out but couldn't, short of identity theft. I don't think it much of a stretch of the imagination that China may have a similar ID system in place. They know who you are. No disposable burner accounts.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

i think most over 18 would see it as something that doesn't affect them. I check the chinese news sites, alot of propaganda supporting this. This is the most messed up gaming news i've heard of in a long time, if ever, at least the most widespread. I'd be very careful about cheering about governments telling what citizens cannot do. If the parents suck at their job, let them suck.

The wording is targetting mobile and online games/companies, most chinese users on steam already use a vpn, be interesting to see how the kids get around this.

Possible unintended side effects, kids completely wasting themselves to cram as many hours in as possible on the weekends.

parents not letting their kids use other accounts could also become a problem

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

This makes me wonder how this will effect esports. China has been pretty dominant in league of legends but now that people can't start seriously practicing the game until they reach 18 this will hamper the growth of new talent tremendously. 

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

This is about enforcing control over Chinese citizens.

If you ask me, this is about producing a more productive next generation of work force

Though I can't really say how well it is, learning through gaming is also a thing and there are many things to learn from gaming, just not educational I suppose

8 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Regardless of whether you think this is a sensible idea or not, you have to agree that 8pm to 9pm is a stupid time window to choose if (and it's a big if) you actually want them to be able to access gaming at all. Staring at a computer immediately before they are supposed to be going to sleep is the last thing they need, all it will do is wreck their sleep patterns. 4 to 5 might be more sensible.

im not sure about china, but i used to go to school from 7am to 4pm (wake at 5:30am, arrive home around 5:30pm)
so gaming in the afternoon is no go, and i loved cycling before 7:30pm, so gaming at night seems the most sensible choice

but the most sensible choice would be options, let citizens choose what time they can best fit their schedule

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Bruh... I'd hit that just idling on the Minecraft start menu. #music

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Let me guess, boomers who find video games detrimental but spend 40 hours watching TV each week?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Do they do the same with TV or Shows and stuff?

If not, maybe this is more an effort to try to get them to watch Chinese TV/Shows/movies instead.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking