Tv + passive speakers

hconverse02
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
5 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

definitely tried that... i get no output and theres no option in tv settings to change the output from tv speakers to the passive speakers.

I tried this and it only plays from tv speakers. 

It must be in the menus somewhere.

You connected to the RCA ports in the white area, right? Not the ones in green near the HDMI ports? (I highly doubt those are outputs.)

That preamp thing isn't going to solve your problem. In your use case, it's just an extremely expensive A/B switch.

If anything, use an HDMI audio extractor between the device and your TV.

https://www.amazon.com/LinkS-Extractor-Splitter-Converter-Chromecast/dp/B00XJITK7E

Essentially I would like to play audio out from hdmi sources into my passive bookshelf speakers, as I don't have much other use for them.  The back of the tv has RCA audio on the same portion of the panel as hdmi outputs, so I am guessing that I just need a pre-amp + the amp I already have for these speakers.  It is probably around 15 years old and a vizio tv.  I can get the model if needed but here is picture of the back panel and amplifier inputs/outputs.   Not sure where to go from here.  I purchased a schitt pre-amp that can still return (it arrives tomorrow) in case my research gave me the right conclusion.  The amp is a micca origain A250.

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

You don't need the pramp because your TV will output a line level signal. Just connect the RCA "AUDIO OUT" ports on the back of your TV to the input on your amp.

That preamp thing can only lower the signal level, which you don't need since the amp has its own volume control.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

TV has RCA out?  Amp has RCA input?   Connect the two with an RCA cable. 

HDMI audio source -> TV -> RCA out -> AMP -> Speakers

Just now, ToboRobot said:

TV has RCA out?  Amp has RCA input?   Connect the two with an RCA cable. 

HDMI audio source -> TV -> RCA out -> AMP -> Speakers

definitely tried that... i get no output and theres no option in tv settings to change the output from tv speakers to the passive speakers.

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You don't need the pramp. Just connect the RCA "AUDIO OUT" ports on the back of your TV to the input on your amp.

My current rig:

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

v settings to change the output from tv speakers to the passive speakers.

Are you sure? Because with my Samsung TV and my mom's LG I had to tell the TV to use External speakers. It was buried in the audio menus, pretty much the option was use the built in speakers or use external.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

You connected to the RCA ports in the white area, right? Not the ones in green near the HDMI ports? (I highly doubt those are outputs.)

That preamp thing isn't going to solve your problem. In your use case, it's just an extremely expensive A/B switch.

https://www.amazon.com/LinkS-Extractor-Splitter-Converter-Chromecast/dp/B00XJITK7E

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Grab an audio splitter with HDMI in and RCA out to grab the audio off the HDMI?

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Are you sure? Because with my Samsung TV and my mom's LG I had to tell the TV to use External speakers. It was buried in the audio menus, pretty much the option was use the built in speakers or use external.

My older Samsung TV can also do this but oddly it never mutes the TV internal speakers so I have to keep the TV volume on zero. Strange Samsung things.

Just now, Bitter said:

My older Samsung TV can also do this but oddly it never mutes the TV internal speakers so I have to keep the TV volume on zero. Strange Samsung things.

Oh maybe  this is something I should try.  I didnt think about muting tv audio.  I will update in a few,

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

As for menus..... there are few options it is old so i can choose from like sound "profiles" and thats literally it.  I did try both rca in the white and hdmi area before, but i will give it a go.  Thanks for the update on the preamp, i will be sure to return it and save my money when it comes.

My current rig:

22 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

TV settings. 

consult the manual or google "TV model audio output" and hopefully find out how to do it. 

25 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

i found it. it was dumb as fuck though. I had to reprogram my universal remote so I could even click through the menus and under audio, there was a subsection i didnt see before. it works and im so fucking happy thank you

My current rig:

2 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

i found it. it was dumb as fuck though. I had to reprogram my universal remote so I could even click through the menus and under audio, there was a subsection i didnt see before. it works and im so fucking happy thank you

For future reference.

If you are unhappy with the audio quality, it might be due the TV's soundcard. Using the TV's RCA output means it outputting an analog signal from the TV's DAC to your amplifier, and a great, well-implemented DAC is extremely low priority in a television.

If you use the TV's optical output, you can send the digital signal to an external DAC, and then output it to a speaker amplifier. Typically these two functions are done in single units such as home theater AV receivers, or integrated amplifiers like a Loxjie A30, WiiM Amp, etc.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |