Take Two Interactive commits to putting Microtransactions in EVERY FUTURE GAME in continuation of Games As a Service.

AlTech

Take Two Interactive, your favorite corporate AAA publisher looking out for you with those juicy micro-transactions, DLC, Season Passes, Collector's Editions and let's not forget those Digital Deluxe Editions, yeah they're adding Micro-transactions to every future game they publish.

Well fuck.......

That means Red Dead Redemption 2 and any new XCOM will definitely have Micro-transactions.

10/10 How to stop consumers from purchasing your products.

Take Two only plans to release new games which feature monetization that provides recurring revenue.  EA and Sony called this the "Recurring Revenue Business" and it seems Take Two Interactive wants in on some of that "Games as a Service" bullshit Ubisoft started.

And if you thought they were only interested in corrupting your favorite multiplayer experiences, then you're in for a real surprise. They specifically mentioned in an investor call that they're also interested in recurring revenue streams from sources other than the online model (aka Single Player games). Take Two is pursuing this because it made up a lot of revenue for them during this quarter and the bean counters and all those investors want more money.

Oh and if that wasn't terrifying enough this is what they had to say in addition "This is just the beginning".

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

excellent

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Terrible ideas from r/civ when this news broke:

"Your Temple will complete in 9 turns, or spend 5 CivGems™ to complete now!"

"uh oh Rammesies is about to build the great Wall before you! Would you like to purchase a 1 time bonus boost to build it before him?

For a limited time you can also buy a great person loot box for half price!"

Oh God, please no. If this happens, I guess the last Civilization game I ever play will be Civ V. Not that that's too bad, since Civ V is a great game, but still. Goddammit publishers, why can't you just not fuck over your customers with needless bullshit? If every game they published from now on was free-to-play, I would be less pissed about it (although still very much pissed), but it's practically guaranteed that they'll still be releasing full $60 games, which basically screws over all of the franchises under Take Two. I'm just sad right now.

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Take Two Interactive, your favorite corporate AAA publisher looking out for you with those juicy micro-transactions, DLC, Season Passes, Collector's Editions and let's not forget those Digital Deluxe Editions, yeah they're adding Micro-transactions to every future game they publish.

"If there are, then it just shows how twisted this world is." :dry:

Welp, I will be saving a lot of money in the future then.  I will make sure to not buy any of their games.

3 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

Terrible ideas from r/civ when this news broke:

Oh God, please no. If this happens, I guess the last Civilization game I ever play will be Civ V. Not that that's too bad, since Civ V is a great game, but still. Goddammit publishers, why can't you just not fuck over your customers with needless bullshit? If every game they published from now on was free-to-play, I would be less pissed about it (although still very much pissed), but it's practically guaranteed that they'll still be releasing full $60 games, which basically screws over all of the franchises under Take Two. I'm just sad right now.

Ouch.  That will be bad.  Talk about ruining a strategy game.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

"If there are, then it just shows how twisted this world is." :dry:

its digusting but they don't care as long as the consumer doesn't push back and it make more money off whales than compared to the amount of people that get turned off by mirco transactions in a $60 game; though i don't have a source on that

4 minutes ago, General Winter said:

its digusting but they don't care as long as the consumer doesn't push back and it make more money off whales than compared to the amount of people that get turned off by mirco transactions in a $60 game; though i don't have a source on that

They had a poll on this a few weeks ago on WAN Show. It's pretty surprising how many people who tuned in actually falls for these and the amount of money being spent. To give a flavour, some spend more than what Linus's car is worth. Which to be honest, is not a lot in its current state, but will say 3 thousand it was stock.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

$60 purchase price for games, $200 for microtransactions boys. Jim Sterling gunna launch a fucking cracker of a video.

Micro-transactions aren't inherently a bad thing if they're, for example, cosmetic only items.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

You know how every industry turns into this once it becomes popular?I wonder if microtransactions and DLCs will show up in the movie industry.Just wait, they might get this idea soon.Music and movie industry haven't changed as much as gaming did in the last few years.

Good for them. Doesn't mean I will be buying their though.

Especially not if it's the kind of microtransaction that is "pay to skip". Since that just tell me that their game isn't worth playing in the first place.

I don't mind things like skins or other little things like that(remember when Skins used to be unlockable in game? Super Mario Odyssey remembers), but when you start making your game needlessly "grindy" just for the sake of selling items to "skip the grind", it's a bad game.

Overall, I guess Take-Two will just join the list of bad publishers that I wouldn't feel bad at all for buying keys on G2A. (Alongside EA and Ubisoft)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

And gone are the good old days when you just bought a game and down the road there was an expansion pack or two (packs with a lot new quests, charakters and intems which increased the replay value, not something that was taken out from the original game).

In total i may spend up to 100$, but I get >100 hours of good gameplay (e.g. dragon age origins, gothic 2, elex, mass effect 1 - 3...)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Just the beginning?

We've been seeing this shit for the better part of the decade.

But now it's going to be even more nasty.....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So....

Option A (Seemingly every micro transaction filled game) :

-$60 game

-Must buy DLC to get anywhere

- approx. 50 hours gameplay if that.

- DRM everywhere

Option B (The games the large publishers no longer make):

- Interesting storyline rather than some half baked idea

- No copy and paste from the previous game. Looking at you Far Cry...

- DLC actually adds more gameplay for a decent cost

- No DRM maxing out your CPU.

- Active modding community

It seems as if the more confident a studio gets the worse the games become, look at COD, Assassins Creed, etc.

Then there are the other studios such as Bethesda (maybe not FO4) whose games last for years with an active player base. Skyrim even has a complete overhaul mod which has a deeper storyline than Skyrim itself, is free and that mod has it's own DLC for free!

33 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

And gone are the good old days when you just bought a game and down the road there was an expansion pack or two (packs with a lot new quests, charakters and intems which increased the replay value, not something that was taken out from the original game).

In total i may spend up to 100$, but I get >100 hours of good gameplay (e.g. dragon age origins, gothic 2, elex, mass effect 1 - 3...)

Or back in the day when expansion packs were almost an additional game, and they'd just throw you new maps/weapons/vehicles/characters in an update.

Looking at you, battlefield 2 wake island update.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

:(

I really really hope some of the studios they own somehow manages to not do it, for example Firaxis Games, because I love Xcom and I don't want it to get destroyed by microtransaction's.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, MegaDave91 said:

Micro-transactions aren't inherently a bad thing if they're, for example, cosmetic only items.

The thing is that they are NEVER a positive thing. They could either be as innocuous as hats in TF2 to as intrusive as EA Battlefield 2 loot boxes. You will never find a serious gamer who'll say they are glad that there are micro transactions in their games.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

And thus, the Triple A gaming industry is well and truly dead to me for the most part. The only exception I can see is Metro Exodus next year or Star Citizen if you are counting that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, MyName13 said:

You know how every industry turns into this once it becomes popular?I wonder if microtransactions and DLCs will show up in the movie industry.Just wait, they might get this idea soon.Music and movie industry haven't changed as much as gaming did in the last few years.

please don't give them ideas 

They can wave goodbye to many customers then, including me. I will NOT pay for a game, then pay yet more for season passes, DLC, map packs etc... that gets very expensive for one game. I won't bother going into the whole argument about piracy, but when companies do this I am not surprised that people pirate stuff.

I don't want this to descend into yet another piracy argument thread and get locked. Won't go into that more, so no baiting me please :D

I am becoming ever more disenchanted with the whole gaming thing since micro-transactions, DLC and season passes became widespread. I find myself spending more money on hardware these days instead, plus TV and movies to fill my spare time. I love gaming, but the way the money grabbers are controlling the reigns now more than ever is getting ridiculous. I miss the days of buying a game and getting a whole game,  RIP fairness, you are missed most dearly :(

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini