BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

So here are the winners of the LTTStore discount vouchers, these need to be entered during checkout: 

@Hyuumaru @QuantumSnow @texus @etv24 @OhBoy @blab blob @Lightwreather JfromN @Your_Stalker @UnauthorisedNoodle @miker07

The winners of the Stream giftcards are:

@Storm_007 @chaozbandit @Bruntosaurus

The Winner of the drawing from @Ithanul is:

@Cory74

To claim your prize you need to DM me here on the forum before 00:00 BST, May 30th, 2023, with a screengrab of your BOINCStats statistics showing you have points in the correct projects 

image.thumb.png.2bda1b14b3b5a65676e1bf10a2afaefc.png

Congrats to All!  LTT got 3rd place overall in this year's Pent!

Welcome to the 2023 Pentathlon

Dates: 05 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 19 May 2023 00:00 UTC

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php

image.thumb.png.523fefb220e975c086f6ec9428afbf2f.png

The Pentathlon is an annual event for several BOINC teams to compete across five disciplines (five different BOINC projects) to gain points and win medals.  Several teams, but only one team comes out as the winner.  The event last for over two weeks.  If you up to the challenge, come on and join the team in competing in the pentathlon and see if your hardware can handle the heat.

image.thumb.png.d2f9475536affcd00844950276a20d66.png

Team Name: LinusTechTips_Team

Contacts: @Ithanul - Can also be contacted over on the LTT Discord

What is BOINC?: https://linustechtips.com/topic/151235-official-ltt-boinc-faq-guide/

Events:

Obstacle Run - Completed

Team placed 3rd - Won Bronze

Javelin Throw - Completed

Team placed 8th

• Project: SRBase - all subprojects except TF
  • Invite Code: pillepalle
  • Resource Usage: CPU
  • Scoring: Third best Throw is used for event ranking
  • 1st Throw: 07 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 08 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • 2nd Throw: 08 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 09 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • 3rd Throw:  10 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 11 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • 4th Throw:  11 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 12 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • 5th Throw:  13 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 14 May 2023 00:00 UTC

City Run - Completed

Team placed 2nd - Won Silver

image.png.e6864000e29e93271ce6c6227f23d19a.png

Cross Country - Completed

Team placed 5th

• Project: Einstein@Home
  • Resource Usage: GPU
  • Start: 14 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • End: 19 May 2023 00:00 UTC

Sprint - Completed

Team placed 3rd - Won Bronze

image.png.7ced90671f30a3d948889f49715bf0b5.png

Bunker Technique

An advance technique used during the Pentathlon to hold a large amount of WUs (Work Units) before a discipline start date.

Windows 7/8/10

Spoiler

How to setup multiple instances of BOINC

Advance BOINC Pent bunker technique

The following is a technique referred to as bunkering in the Pent.  The advantage of this technique is to hold many WUs that are crunch ahead of time before a discipline (BOINC project) start date occurs.  Once the discipline start date hits, the WUs are then off loaded from the client allowing a large amount of points to be gained at the start.

The technique is even used near the end of discipline dates to gain last minute advantages as well.  Usually can be seen when a team shows low output in one or two disciplines then all of a sudden a large amount of points are dumped on one project as the end date nears.  This can allow a team to take a higher spot at the end before other teams can react.

Note: this technique is not useful on projects with quorum 2.

Steps to setup another instance of BOINC for bunker technique:

Windows Method

1. First, create a new folder in C:\ProgramData
    • Example:  
      C:\ProgramData\BOINC2

2. Edit the cc_config.xml file to include the allow_multiple_clients option.
    • Example: 
      <cc_config>   
       	<options>    
        		<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>    
        		<allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>   
       	</options> 
      </cc_config>  

3. Next, creat a batch file in the new BOINC folder.
    • Example: 
      "c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2 
      exit  

Note: Default port for BOINC is 31416.  Each instance requires its own port.  This is what the --gui_rpc_port sets.

•  

4. Run the batch file.  This will start another instance of BOINC which can now be setup to download and run more WUs to bunker with.

Now, you have another instance of BOINC running.  Next is to hook this instance to the BOINC Manager.

Connecting BOINC Manager to the new instance:

1. Create a new shortcut.
    • Rename this to the instance of BOINC made.  Example: BOINC2
  2. Copy the random letters and numbers from gui_rpc_auth.cfg.  This is the password.
  3. Edit the 'Target' line of the BOINC2 Shortcut to include the new port # and new password (this the random letters and numbers).
    • Example: 
      "C:\Program Files\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /m /n 127.0.0.1 /g 31418 /p 37cf632b718387f4675342371b4055cc  

LL

• /g is for the port number you set for the new instance.  /p is for the random letters and numbers from the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file.

If requested, I will add the method for Linux.

Linux (conformed for Ubuntu and Mint) - if anyone else manage to get this to work on other Linux branches, please ping me or Ben so those can be added to the list.

Spoiler

NOTE:  Linux is case sensitive

All steps below are done within the terminal (Bash shell).  Shortcut for terminal:  Control+Shift+T

1. Create data directory for extra instances of BOINC.
    • sudo mkdir /var/lib/boinc2

For those not fully familiar with the Bash shell,  sudo - gives super user permission; mkdir - make directory (or as others refer, a folder), /var/lib/boinc2  -  path and directory name

2. Create cc_config.xml file.
    • sudo gedit /var/lib/boinc2/cc_config.xml

gedit - text editor; if you don't have this, you can use nano or vi or other text editors avaliable to Linux

3. Past text info cc_config.xml
    • <cc_config>         
       <options>                 
        <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>                 
        <allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>         
       </options> 
      </cc_config>  

This is to allow GPU usage and multiple clients to run.

4. Create a blank gui_rpc_auth.cfg
    • sudo gedit /var/lib/gui_rpc_auth.cfg

nano or vi or other text editors can be used here

5. Start BOINC Client Instance
    • sudo /usr/bin/boinc --daemon --allow_multiple_clients --gui_rpc_port 31422 --dir /var/lib/boinc2

--gui_rpc_port sets the port for the client instance.  --dir is the directory you made for the new instance in step 1.

To add to the BOINC Manager

1. Start BOINC
  2. Start your newly created BOINC instance.
  3. Go to "File" -> "Select computer..."
  4. For the hostname, enter 127.0.0.1:31422 (the number after the colon is the port number you set the new instance to)

Note: each new instance requires a different port.

BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Announcements || Stats || Daily Bulletin

Ensure to sign on forum to be entered for any prize draws for this event

https://forms.gle/M9XKNewc4GuJNMpW8

Prize draw is random for all active participants.
So, regardless of power or work done, the prizes will be announced and then must be claimed via DM on the forum

Prizes

10 x 100USD LTTStore discount codes

3 x 20USD Steam gift cards

Dragon Art Piece - provided by @Ithanul

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

What do you think for events this year? Are we going for all of them or trying some selective strategery? What do you think about a census to see what kind of hardware we all have available in order to best point our assets? Lastly, when do you think we should start bunkering?

Not getting ahead of myself here. Wanted to get in the right mindset so I didn't forget about it 😄

I'm relatively new to BOINC, but most of you know I have some hardware that I can through at this if needed. Let me know.

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

14 hours ago, Captainmarino said:

What do you think for events this year? Are we going for all of them or trying some selective strategery? What do you think about a census to see what kind of hardware we all have available in order to best point our assets? Lastly, when do you think we should start bunkering?

Not getting ahead of myself here. Wanted to get in the right mindset so I didn't forget about it 😄

I haven't seen any hints on what projects going to be selected.  Typically deal is to keep a good chunk of folks going at the Marathon part since that runs for the whole event and the ones that are more familiar doing project flipping to handle the other events.

If folks participating are not against the idea, a census of hardware could probably be done for this year.

For bunkering, going to depend on the projects.  Some are easier to bunker for as certain projects have longer time frames before expiring.  Others, not so much or have limits on how many WUs can be pull down.  Going to really depend on which projects get selected this year.  I high advise, be careful with bunkering, you don't want to wind up with a lot of fail WUs because of over hoarding them and not finishing all of the WUs before their end dates.

Also, for this year, I am thinking of having some fun streaming and reading out the daily bulletin for the pentathlon. 

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

I'll be out of town during the event. I'll be at work from the 3rd - 17th. I've got a 13900k, 13700k and a dual 2699 v4 system I could get set up to run while I'm at work. I wouldn't be able to bunker, and haven't ran BOINC before so tips would be welcome. If it's somehow helpful, there's also a Pentium G-6400 in my test bench. 

I'm under the impression that CPU is better for BOINC than GPU? I could go over to the community board for more general questions. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I was able to use my gpu's in the last pentathlon, the problem was it took around a month before I was rewarded any points, so I pretty sure l didn't contribute anything to the pentathlon. 

Even though I follow the letter on how to sign up for these projects I always run into issues, I think boinc just hates me so I will just keep on folding. 

Good luck guys. 

On 4/14/2023 at 10:49 AM, Ithanul said:

I haven't seen any hints on what projects going to be selected.  Typically deal is to keep a good chunk of folks going at the Marathon part since that runs for the whole event and the ones that are more familiar doing project flipping to handle the other events.

If folks participating are not against the idea, a census of hardware could probably be done for this year.

For bunkering, going to depend on the projects.  Some are easier to bunker for as certain projects have longer time frames before expiring.  Others, not so much or have limits on how many WUs can be pull down.  Going to really depend on which projects get selected this year.  I high advise, be careful with bunkering, you don't want to wind up with a lot of fail WUs because of over hoarding them and not finishing all of the WUs before their end dates.

Also, for this year, I am thinking of having some fun streaming and reading out the daily bulletin for the pentathlon. 

I've got a R5 3600 and 1660S to contribute. I've got a mild overclock on each.

We're in the midst of changing around the office for my wife so I don't know if I will be able to get anything else up and running.

2 thread rippers,a gen 2 6 core ryzn cpu, 2 2080s,1 2070, 2 rx 460s

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

On 4/14/2023 at 12:53 PM, IkeaGnome said:

I'll be out of town during the event. I'll be at work from the 3rd - 17th. I've got a 13900k, 13700k and a dual 2699 v4 system I could get set up to run while I'm at work. I wouldn't be able to bunker, and haven't ran BOINC before so tips would be welcome. If it's somehow helpful, there's also a Pentium G-6400 in my test bench. 

I'm under the impression that CPU is better for BOINC than GPU? I could go over to the community board for more general questions. 

In that case, if the Marathon project gets announce, then you can aim the hardware at that since it runs for the whole event time frame.

For what hardware is good for what, depends on the BOINC project as the BOINC software just acts a central control hub for joining many different scientific projects.  Typically the Marathon is a CPU as to allow everyone to throw something at it.

It is fine to ask question in here as well since there probably be other folks who are either rusty on BOINC, or other new folks that can benefit from the answers in here.

If I have time, I will try to get my guide updated with newer pictures of installing BOINC on the latest OSes.

It is looking like I will be afk for much of the event but can probably get 32 threads on the marathon, If I have time may try to set up some kind of remote desktop before I go away, any recommendations? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'll be participating but will probably not do any bunkering.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

19 hours ago, Favebook said:

I'll be participating but will probably not do any bunkering.

bunkering???

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 hours ago, dogwitch said:

bunkering???

On 4/13/2023 at 7:48 PM, Ithanul said:

Bunker Technique

An advance technique used during the Pentathlon to hold a large amount of WUs (Work Units) before a discipline start date.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

1 hour ago, Favebook said:

ah. that what that called.

So whos in? 

Let's get some numbers. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 4/14/2023 at 4:31 AM, Mxyzptlk said:

I'm relatively new to BOINC, but most of you know I have some hardware that I can through at this if needed. Let me know.

What hardware are you willing to throw at it? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'm planning to throw 32-40 x86 threads on the marathon, 

Being a folder, I have more compute in GPUs which I feel will be the case for many of us 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I can throw a couple of points in the ring.  It's not a lot, but "every little bit" right?

System 1 can run 24/7 uninterrupted with R5 1600 + RX580

System 2 may see some gaming usage for a couple hours per day, and has R7 2700x + 6700XT

I'll look into getting BOINC running... haven't done it before.

Signed up! Just wondering how the event will work. I see words like Javelin Throw, Marathon, City Run, CPU or GPU project with a quorum of 1, what are terms? Also, do you know how to get GPU working? I don't see any way to enable it.

Thanks!

Just now, AamirA said:

Signed up! Just wondering how the event will work. I see words like Javelin Throw, Marathon, City Run, CPU or GPU project with a quorum of 1, what are terms? Also, do you know how to get GPU working? I don't see any way to enable it.

Thanks!

So Boinc is made up of multiple projects that all do different tasks, and different forms of research. Each Discipline, the marathon, city run etc are different projects on BOINC. The first one will be announced within the hour. 

Not all projects support GPU processing, but most do support CPU processing. When the event is announced I will let you all know so you can start to bunker points. 

When the project is announced I'm going to make a step-by-step guide on what to do and will add it here before I go to sleep. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@GOTSpectrum - Do you have any tips on getting more projects downloaded? Best to let it run through submitting my first few WU's and then seeing if it lets me download more? I think I am capped around 110 right now.

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

47 minutes ago, etv24 said:

@GOTSpectrum - Do you have any tips on getting more projects downloaded? Best to let it run through submitting my first few WU's and then seeing if it lets me download more? I think I am capped around 110 right now.

Some projects will limit you unfortunately. The most advanced bunkering technique involves spinning up VMs and running BOINC within those, though I have never done this. @Ithanulis the person to ask about BOINC, she's the team leader, I'm still very much a novice 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Some projects will limit you unfortunately. The most advanced bunkering technique involves spinning up VMs and running BOINC within those, though I have never done this. @Ithanulis the person to ask about BOINC, she's the team leader, I'm still very much a novice 

Sounds good -- I ended up just spinning up a couple of windows VM's in Proxmox. Seems easy enough!

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

@GOTSpectrumIs there somewhere that I need to sign up? or is just being hear and on the project team enough?

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here