[Guide] How to setup MSI Afterburner On Screen Display using RTSS

AlTech

A fair few people have asked me how to setup MSI Afterburner On Screen Display (OSD).

I checked this subforum and to my surprise there was no guide on how to do it. So I figured I'd make a guide for everybody out there struggling.

1. Downloading and Installing

You will need to download a few things before we continue.

Also, the obligatory disclosure that this will only work on Windows.

If you don't have RTSS installed then make sure to download and install it.

If you don't have MSI Afterburner installed then make sure to download and install it.

Generally the MSI Afterburner installer will have the option to also install RTSS. If that's the case then no need to download the RTSS installer separately.

Download Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Standalone - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

Download MSI Afterburner (make sure it's not the Beta version) - https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

2.  Setup MSI Afterburner

First, get into the settings.

For this example I'm using an RX 480 8GB.

You don't need voltage control to be unlocked.

image.png.798df42f97ccb272488ce57e20707b4e.png

You may want to allow MSI Afterburner to run at startup and open minimized.

Next we move onto the Monitoring tab in Settings.

image.png.12ec6b732c2d9a642283a63250b8a2b3.png

Tick all the properties you want in your OSD and also tick the "Show In On-Screen Display" checkbox for each item you want shown.

You can choose to setup hotkeys to enable or disable the OSD.

I personally also have system time shown on my OSD but you can disable this.

image.png.032da8bb9f9ddb067d4a03bbfd725d92.png

3. Setting up RTSS

Now we're onto setting up RTSS.

If RTSS isn't running already, open it.

image.png.53114d3f304ef06ba9d1cea38ddaa4a4.png

If it is already running, you can open it from the task tray by clicking on the RTSS icon.

image.png.940b81954fdb964690c1f2d101844fad.png

The first changes you'll probably want to make are to enable it to start with windows and minimize on startup.

image.png.b69ee0aa97bef0482c234b8578c3c497.png

You may also wish to change the rendering mode from the default Vector 2D to Raster 3D.

You can also change the font and font-size by clicking on the dropdown arrow on Raster 3D.

image.png.66b49e14342e97e847ceb1fe30ba1c4a.png

You can also change the colour of the OSD by clicking on the OSD palette circle.

image.png.936c6ed1b5051f4c98d1cc53502dc70f.png

You can also change the position of the OSD by clicking on any of the 4 corner buttons in the bottom right hand square or by clicking on the arrows to adjust the vertical or horizontal height of the OSD.

4. Finishing up

You will probably have to restart Windows for this to take effect.

Once you've restarted, if you open up a game you should see the OSD in action.

meme_truck_simulator.thumb.png.99fed38e57fb84e680d7213c7dbc4792.png

Thanks for reading and if you know somebody struggling with this then please share this guide.

Thanks.

- AluminiumTech ?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Ok a bit off topic, but wth is going on in the euro truck 2 screenshot?

What kind of curve is that? To me it seems like you were driving on the wrong side of the road...??‍♂️

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Ok a bit off topic, but wth is going on in the euro truck 2 screenshot?

What kind of curve is that? To me it seems like you were driving on the wrong side of the road...??‍♂️

I missed the ramp I was supposed to get off at :D.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I missed the ramp I was supposed to get off at :D.

No excuses. Mister, your licence is now expired. Exit the vehicle immediately! ?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I will try out your guide tomorrow sometime, but thanks for the help, really informative! 

EDIT: I have had no experience with RTSS or MSI afterburner at all.

you can actually get it to use a lot less screen estate, if you use classic layout (MSI Afterburner options, Monitoring, "..." button) image.png.1712591af0e52109d40e6ea5a7ce5af0.png

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

• 2 months later...

Hello! Thanks for this guide.

I'm trying this settings too, but I see you have three different colours for gpu, cpu and framerate.

I'm only getting the colour I choose from rivatuner settings.

What could be? I'll post my screen when I will on the PC.

Should probably mention how to do group those parameters and display it in the way you want.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting. But I have a question that I never see answered anywhere...

How do you turn on 1% low and 0.1% low, FPS, OSD or logging... ?

It just never shows anything for me.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:51 AM, d3adc3II said:

Should probably mention how to do group those parameters and display it in the way you want.

This also - I never use the overlay because it's a big fucking ugly mess.

Also I hate that you cannot remove the letters "FPS" when showing the FPS... I know it's FPS I don't need it to show me that, it's just cluttering up my screen... Hence I almost exclusively use the Nvidia GFE overlay

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Thanks for posting. But I have a question that I never see answered anywhere...

It just never shows anything for me

This also - I never use the overlay because it's a big fucking ugly mess.

Also I hate that you cannot remove the letters "FPS" when showing the FPS... I know it's FPS I don't need it to show me that, it's just cluttering up my screen... Hence I almost exclusively use the Nvidia GFE overlay

for the 1st part: I can't figure out how to get the 1% and 0.1% lows working. it shows up in the OSD for me but the numbers are just stuck at 0 or 1.

for the 2nd part: I am considering making a 2020 edition of this thread and another thread. if I do that then I'll try to incorporate this feedback.

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2020 at 4:41 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Those options will appear once benchmark mode is started. Navigate to MSI Afterburner settings (screenshot below) and set your key binds for Recording and then you will have your 1% and 0.1% values.

spacer.png

Still curious how to turn off the "FPS" for the fps lol... I know its possible, I did it in the past but completely forgot how. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity