[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

u crasy

in a good way

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

Your build logs get cooler and cooler, looking very much forward to all of this! 

Also; i'm not sure what "like" to give this, theres no badass option or the likes... this needs to be a thing. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

8 hours ago, Nup said:

Your build logs get cooler and cooler, looking very much forward to all of this! 

Also; i'm not sure what "like" to give this, theres no badass option or the likes... this needs to be a thing. 

I would say good point is appropriate. But yes, the old like was far easier;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

You really love some passive cooling huh ?
Ye rich bastard. LOL :D

Anyways, your full passive build log got my curiosity, now you got my attention.

Followed !

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

2 minutes ago, Ddave said:

You really love some passive cooling huh ?
Ye rich bastard. LOL :D

Anyways, your full passive build log got my curiosity, now you got my attention.

Followed !

Yes I do.

Also I'm selling the old builds, so I do get cash for the new once.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Must see this happening

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Duuuude I'm so stoked for this build!
excited-baby.gif

Also, those renderings are absolutely beautiful.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

2 minutes ago, TobiMay said:

Also, those renderings are absolutely beautiful.

Thank you.

But to be fair, I used a lot of models provided by: http://www.grabcad.com

Crazy. I like it

What will you be using it for?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

5 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

Crazy. I like it

What will you be using it for?

I had to run some simualtions lately that took over 12 hours each. For situation like this, this number crucher will be handy. Also it will be used a lot for folding at home. And gaming from time to time.

Honestly, I was doing way to much theoretical and software based stuff at work and study over the last several month. So I need a hardware project to work on. It may sound funny, but machining metal is a good work out for me. Also I really wanted to do something with mineral oil for a long time.

As a result, I sold my other rig and sooked for some affordable stuff on ebay. And here I am.

4 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

I had to run some simualtions lately that took over 12 hours each. For situation like this, this number crucher will be handy. Also it will be used a lot for folding at home. And gaming from time to time.

Honestly, I was doing way to much theoretical and software based stuff at work and study over the last several month. So I need a hardware project to work on. It may sound funny, but machining metal is a good work out for me. Also I really wanted to do something with mineral oil for a long time.

As a result, I sold my other rig and sooked for some affordable stuff on ebay. And here I am.

Seems cool, just out of curiosity, what do you do for your job? what types of simulations?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Just now, IMPERIUS said:

Seems cool, just out of curiosity, what do you do for your job? what types of simulations?

I'm in the middle of my master degree in electronic engineering. But I only study half time and the other half I'm working for a company that develops electronic equipment for other companies.

There I developt an algorithm that can detect an acoustic alarm even if it's so noisy a human ear can't heat it. As people die when the system fails, we had to do very rigid and excessive testing (simulation).

This build is going to be awesome and it will be super powerful and have a pretty good price/performance. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

I am excited to see where this build will go! By your calculations, how much surface area on a black anodized aluminum heatsink with heat pipes (if the PC has all fins vertical, for optimal passive airflow) would I need to keep a 3930k and 390x cool at 75 degrees? I want to get two large heatsinks and put the GPU on one and the motherboard on the other. Yes, I have plans on how to do this ;) I just want to know if it would be at all feasible. I want a nice compact PC, but watercooling is surprisingly bulky.

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I am excited to see where this build will go! By your calculations, how much surface area on a black anodized aluminum heatsink with heat pipes (if the PC has all fins vertical, for optimal passive airflow) would I need to keep a 3930k and 390x cool at 75 degrees? I want to get two large heatsinks and put the GPU on one and the motherboard on the other. Yes, I have plans on how to do this ;) I just want to know if it would be at all feasible. I want a nice compact PC, but watercooling is surprisingly bulky.

You are looking at 400-450 watts without OC. You need about two 400mm long chunks of the heat sink i used. This equals to about 3m^2.

KX300.png.8c9a7069158984202400c7ca342f96

Also the base plat is so thik it can distrubute the heat over the whole heat sink without heat pipes. but you probably need some to tranport the heat from the CPU / GPU to the heat sink. Also I recommend using a copper plate for the GPU like I did in the Silent cube. Heat pipes are difficult to handle and expensive.

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

You are looking at 400-450 watts without OC. You need about two 400mm long chunks of the heat sink i used. This equals to about 3m^2.

KX300.png.8c9a7069158984202400c7ca342f96

Also the base plat is so thik it can distrubute the heat over the whole heat sink without heat pipes. but you probably need some to tranport the heat from the CPU / GPU to the heat sink. Also I recommend using a copper plate for the GPU like I did in the Silent cube. Heat pipes are difficult to handle and expensive.

I was planning on making a full cover waterblock for the motherboard, except replacing the waterblock with aluminum or copper. Basically put blocks on the hot bits xD

And on the other side, I would put the GPU on the other heatsink with a pcie riser cable. I need my craigslist PC to sell...

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I was planning on making a full cover waterblock for the motherboard, except replacing the waterblock with aluminum or copper. Basically put blocks on the hot bits xD

And on the other side, I would put the GPU on the other heatsink with a pcie riser cable. I need my craigslist PC to sell...

I put a lot of effort into finding a way to connect the CPU to the big heat sink without heat pipes. All my solutions would have requred about 10 copper or a very inconvenient placement. Finaly I gave up and just used normal CPU coolers as I will submerge the build in oil anyway. I'm interested to see your solution.

I put a lot of effort into finding a way to connect the CPU to the big heat sink without heat pipes. All my solutions would have requred about 10 copper or a very inconvenient placement. Finaly I gave up and just used normal CPU coolers as I will submerge the build in oil anyway. I'm interested to see your solution.

So I just got an idea. I have a bin with AT LEAST 50 pounds worth of aluminum heatsinks. I should totally CAST the heatsinks. Sure, it wouldnt be pretty, but it woukd be interesting and cheap to say the least. Then I could cast adapter plate things to make the hot parts of the motherboard all one flat surface, and find someone with an old clapped out bridgeport to machine flat surfaces ;) 

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

So I just got an idea. I have a bin with AT LEAST 50 pounds worth of aluminum heatsinks. I should totally CAST the heatsinks. Sure, it wouldnt be pretty, but it woukd be interesting and cheap to say the least. Then I could cast adapter plate things to make the hot parts of the motherboard all one flat surface, and find someone with an old clapped out bridgeport to machine flat surfaces ;) 

I'd LOVE to see this build log!

EDIT: @iamdarkyoshi 50 pounds is just enougth and not to much :P

I'd LOVE to see this build log!

I will need to think about it. I would need to finish my 3D printer, I would need to get out my aluminum casting stuff, get propane, and plenty of other things. Might have to do it this summer...