NANDpocalypse - 6 Exabytes lost

LukeSavenije

Sources: @VegetableStuAnandtech

Toshiba Memory and Sandisk/Western Digital's joint venture Flash Forward disclosed this Friday that an unexpected power outage in the Yokkaichi province in Japan on June 15 affected the manufacturing facilities. as the moment of writing, production facilities are partially halted and they are expected to resume operations by mid-July.

Western Digital says that the 13-minute power outage impacted wafers that were processed, the facilities, and production equipment. The company indicates that the incident will reduce its NAND flash wafer supply in Q3 by approximately 6 EB (exabytes), which is believed to be about a half of the company’s quarterly supply of NAND. Toshiba does not disclose the impact the outage will have on its NAND wafer supply in the coming months, but confirms that the fabs are partially suspended at the moment. Keeping in mind that Toshiba generally uses more capacity of the fabs than WD, the impact on its supply could be significantly higher than 6 EB with some estimating that it could be as high as ~9 EB.

Both companies are assessing the damage at the moment, so the financial harm of the incident is unclear. Not even counting potential damage to production tools and other equipment used at the fabs, 6 EB of NAND cost a lot of money. Furthermore, analysts from TrendForce believe that a consequence of the outage will be some loss of confidence from clients of both companies, which will have a financial impact as well.

The Yokkaichi Operations campus jointly owned and run by Toshiba and Western Digital produces about 35% of the global NAND output in terms of revenue, according to TrendForce. At present, the manufacturing base has five production facilities (Fab 2, Fab 3, Fab 4, Fab 5, and Fab 6) as well as an R&D center, all of which were affected by the outage. Three fabs within the campus produce 3D NAND flash, whereas another two are used to make special-purpose types of memory.

This leaves Intel/Micron, Samsung and SKHynix to fill the gap. If they can? we'll see, otherwise we can all prepare for the second part of the NAND-pocalypse

So approximately 50 million 120G ssds.

Holy fuck, that seems like A LOT.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Im sure Samsung And SK Hynix could hold up most of the NAND market by themselves, adding Micron to the mix? I would be amazed if we even noticed in any way other than Toshiba and WD hiking their SSD prices.

I have never owned RAM or an SSD that came with non Samsung or SK NAND chips, save for my optane drive that is obviously Intel/Micron.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

image.png.fe87e04006126ca0f4cdb777a2cd616c.png

Well shit, thats a lot. I think the only saving grace is that unlike Nandpocalypse 2017-2018 it was all of the manufacturers, not just one of them. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Why wasn't this stuff battery backed?

insert good question meme here

4 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Im sure Samsung And SK Hynix could hold up most of the NAND market by themselves, adding Micron to the mix? I would be amazed if we even noticed in any way other than Toshiba and WD hiking their SSD prices.

yeah, but still... Samsung mostly works for themselves, SKHynix is mostly Dram, not NAND and micron/intel mostly do it for themselves too

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Given the power of the equipment needed to make Nand, they probably can't sustain the draw needed for any period of time. The production facilities probably only have generators for emergency lights and etc. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

insert good question meme here

yeah, but still... Samsung mostly works for themselves, SKHynix is mostly Dram, not NAND and micron/intel mostly do it for themselves too

I did accidentally cross terms. RAM likely won't be affected much, as DRAM is almost solely Hynix and Samsung. NAND is spread out a little more, but I really don't think it will be that noticeable in the grand scheme as things as Samsung was slapped on the wrist for price fixing during the last NAND shortage.

Is 6 exabytes quite a bit of a drop in production? Of course. Will us as consumers feel it as much as the last shortage? I doubt it. But, I may eat my words. I will say I picked quite a good time to pick up 32GB of GSkill Trident Z RGB even if, to my dismay, it was SKHynix and not Samsung as I was made to believe. I was still rather pleased with my overclock and I got such a good deal I wasn't bothered

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Given the power of the equipment needed to make Nand, they probably can't sustain the draw needed for any period of time. The production facilities probably only have generators for emergency lights and etc. 

True, but given how much this outage will cost them, you'd think they could afford a battery backup solution

12 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Battery backup would be capable of only providing power for lighting , etc. for a few minutes, or just a few seconds of production power production. It would take a second power source, such as backup generation that could be brought online in seconds or a second power feed from another source (any of which could be more expensive than the losses sustained from the outage).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

How do you somehow lose 6EB of NAND in 13 minutes without power?

I smell bullshit here and feels like they just wanted a reason to raise the prices of NAND based products after they've been going down a lot lately.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Battery backup would be capable of only providing power for lighting , etc. for a few minutes, or just a few seconds of production power production. It would take a second power source, such as backup generation that could be brought online in seconds or a second power feed from another source (any of which could be more expensive than the losses sustained from the outage).

As someone who works in the electrical industry, a backup generator with ATS, the wiring, additional labor to install, whatever you throw at it, will never cost more than what was lost here. It is routine to have these backup generators even in uninteresting projects like apartment buildings. At least here in the states. I can almost guarantee that there was a malfunction in either their ATS or generator.

They would only need a short-term backup battery bank in the range of seconds before the generator took over, so that wouldn't have been the problem. If the short-term had failed, the outage would not have lasted 13 minutes, it would have lasted seconds.

24 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

True, but given how much this outage will cost them, you'd think they could afford a battery backup solution

Imagine if you will the size of the battery and cost of maintenance, securely storing it and replacement. Etc Etc. Then the answer becomes more clear.

This sounds like complete bullshit to me. A 13 minute power outage has somehow ruined 6-9 Exabytes of nand wafers? I dont believe that for a second. This smells like a repeat of the single HDD factory flooding and everyone raising their prices because they could.

They said this is like half a quater's worth of production. You mean to tell me a 13 minute power outage ruined 1.5 months of wafers????

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

7 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

You mean to tell me a 13 minute power outage ruined 1.5 months of wafers????

aperiently, yeah

34 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

How do you somehow lose 6EB of NAND in 13 minutes without power?

I smell bullshit here and feels like they just wanted a reason to raise the prices of NAND based products after they've been going down a lot lately.

9 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

This sounds like complete bullshit to me. A 13 minute power outage has somehow ruined 6-9 Exabytes of nand wafers? I dont believe that for a second. This smells like a repeat of the single HDD factory flooding and everyone raising their prices because they could.

They said this is like half a quater's worth of production. You mean to tell me a 13 minute power outage ruined 1.5 months of wafers????

I'm no nanoengineer but the equipment used to produce NAND is really expensive and sensitive (nanometer scale after all) so I'm guessing that time frame includes calibration and verification of all the machinery.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Just a heads up, you need to move the decimal a couple more places. It would be million, not thousand. Check out @TVwazhere's post.

Argh, I derped. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Argh, I derped. Thanks.

Eh, we all have days that it happens. You're welcome though!

Cue SSD price gouging from multiple retailers in 3......2.......1.........

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I call BS claims. 

If they lost 6Exabytes in 13min, they can make 6Exbytes in 13min which means that the production is so large that 6Exbytes doesn't matter since the production is so large that this is only a small fraction. 

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I call BS claims. 

If they lost 6Exabytes in 13min, they can make 6Exbytes in 13min which means that the production is so large that 6Exbytes doesn't matter since the production is so large that this is only a small fraction. 

It's not just production in those minutes, it's the time to re-calibrate everything, validate it all comes back online and works properly, and all the other parts that ensure validation of proper output. Sure the title is misleading in that it makes you think that many wafers were destroyed though but there is a reason nobody shuts down large systems like these because it's far more expensive and time consuming to stop production for a period of time, no matter how short, and restart it all than it is to just keep churning things out and selling them for a loss.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It's not just production in those minutes, it's the time to re-calibrate everything, validate it all comes back online and works properly, and all the other parts that ensure validation of proper output. Sure the title is misleading in that it makes you think that many wafers were destroyed though but there is a reason nobody shuts down large systems like these because it's far more expensive and time consuming to stop production for a period of time, no matter how short, and restart it all than it is to just keep churning things out and selling them for a loss.

True but not everything needs recalibration. That's a corporate BS. I work in a similar company. It takes a day or two at most to fix a fail like this. Nobody likes to lose money. Not that kind of revenue as was mentioned. 

This seems more like a subterfuge to increase the cost of SSDs that were going low in price a lot. 

I still doubt that a fail of one company will affect the prices. Maybe stall them for a few more days