is it possible to run 6th/7th gen cpu on a 8th/9th gen motherboard?

i know running a 8th/9th gen cpu on a 6/7th gen motherboard is possible with some modding, how about the opposite?

Not really, I don't think most people back then, or today wanted to run 6th or 7th gen cpus on their newer platform, given their cost and performance difference. It technically might be possible, but it would require someone to write a custom bios that would allow that kind of compatibility which hasn't hapenned yet as far as I know.

A few H310 boards have support for 6/7/8/9th gen, one of the first was when Soyo’s name got relaunched, and their H310c (C designates windows 7 compatibility) options have support for every 1151 cpu.

IMG_2628.jpeg.17f708af1e038cfdd6f5ffdb77b23907.jpeg

it’s doable for sure, it’s just the demand to do so on higher end boards isn’t there, but whatever socket and bios changes let this work for H310, I’m sure could work for Z390 to get a 6700k on Z390 for whatever reason you’d want to do that.

AFAIK it's possible on Z370 boards (8th gen) with similar modifications to the Z170 boards, but not Z390 boards. 

Not that you'd really want to do it anyway, getting a good Z170 board is rather cheap usually (cheaper than a Z370 board), and if you already own a Z370 board odds are you don't want to put a 7700K in there rather than an 8600K or similar (the 8600K is usually cheaper IIRC)