[Update] MSI paying reviewers to remove their bad reviews of their products

GoodBytes

And now I want to know what's going on behind the scenes here. How long has this been going on? Is it widespread, or is it one guy on the marketing team that doesn't care about the morality of this? No matter how this goes down, not a good look.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Gonna wait for how this turns out .. Hopefully LTT will make a coverage of this.
I am not gonna try and convince anyone that big companies don´t do shady stuff, cos they definitely do ... but I´d preferably want to know the full story, if it´s just some guy in PR/Marketing or half the company, if it´s first time or a casual thing for them, and so on ...

Either way, this will be interesting.

Intel i5-750@4GHz // ASUS Strix-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5@1410MHz core, 7600MHz VRAM // Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3@1600MHz
ASUS P7P55D-E // Enermax PRO87+ 450W GOLD

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I have the feeling a lot of smaller guys are going to start speaking out.

Stories like this don't stay silent for long once the ice is broken.

6 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

And now I want to know what's going on behind the scenes here. How long has this been going on? Is it widespread, or is it one guy on the marketing team that doesn't care about the morality of this? No matter how this goes down, not a good look.

This is the internet, due process isn’t allowed. 

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Is it widespread, or is it one guy on the marketing team that doesn't care about the morality of this?

If it was widespread, I'd think we'd have heard of this far sooner and from far more sources. I, personally, am inclined to think this is some person or a couple of people in the marketing-/PR-team. Wouldn't be the first time an over-eager marketing-/PR-person does this.

Still, I hope we'll hear some more.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Good guy LTT helping out the small guys, that's how the Community is staying together 👍

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

They're lucky he's nice.  I would've promised, taken the money, waited a bit, then exposed this bullshit and posted the review anyway.

Just now, WereCatf said:

If it was widespread, I'd think we'd have heard of this far sooner and from far more sources. I, personally, am inclined to think this is some person or a couple of people in the marketing-/PR-team. Wouldn't be the first time an over-eager marketing-/PR-person does this.

Still, I hope we'll hear some more.

Somebody there is trying too hard to work up the ladder.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I have the feeling a lot of smaller guys are going to start speaking out.

Stories like this don't stay silent for long once the ice is broken.

I'm not sure we'll see anyone else speak out. Anyone who had this happen to them and stayed quiet up until now risks their reputation by saying anything now. Either they took the bribe, ruining their perceived integrity, or they didn't take the bribe but also didn't expose shady business practices like this in the first place, once again ruining their perceived integrity.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

I'm not sure we'll see anyone else speak out. Anyone who had this happen to them and stayed quiet up until now risks their reputation by saying anything now. Either they took the bribe, ruining their perceived integrity, or they didn't take the bribe but also didn't expose shady business practices like this in the first place, once again ruining their perceived integrity.

Of course I don't mean those who are already tainted.

You can't unspend that money. I mean smaller channels who were bullied into silence and those who are bound to be in the future.

I'm sorry but msi was blacklisted for me in 2006..... why was it ever whitelisted for anyone else?

Is Diablotek gonna all the sudden become whitelisted? Is Dynex a good manufacturer now?

I hate how people forget things , it's beyond annoying. Asrock is still on my shit list. Will never forgive them for the absolutely terrible motherboard I bought from them in 07

31 minutes ago, emosun said:

I'm sorry but msi was blacklisted for me in 2006..... why was it ever whitelisted for anyone else?

Is Diablotek gonna all the sudden become whitelisted? Is Dynex a good manufacturer now?

I hate how people forget things , it's beyond annoying. Asrock is still on my shit list. Will never forgive them for the absolutely terrible motherboard I bought from them in 07

I am personally not a fan of blacklisting complete companies. I once hat a shit laptop from dell in the 2010s, but that doesnt mean I'm not more than happy with my 2 dell monitors. Look at the products you are looking to buy, not what they had 10 or 20 years ago that was shitty. Also don't buy products blind from one company because you had one good product, evaluate each on their own.

Support can change over years too, its not set in stone only because the support was shit in 1999 it still is today or the other way round.

I personally wouldn't know what I would want any different than my msi board and gpu, both run very good and fulfill my needs.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

27 minutes ago, emosun said:

Sounds to me like you hold grudges for too long.  A lot can happen in 15 years.

Today's Apple does not look the same as Steve Jobs' Apple from, like, 2010.  Similarly, HP built much more reliable computers in 2010 than they do now.

From what I've heard from others, ASRock has turned a corner.  They're a noticeably better brand than they were just 5 years ago.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 minute ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

yeah well i like products that actually function so I think i'll stick with blacklisting bad companies

They've been doing shady garbage like this for a long time, especially regarding laptops. Take a read here if you're interested in similar debacles: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/dont-buy-msi-they-mis-sold-top-spec-gt-series-laptops-with-mxm-graphics.18746748/

TL;DR MSI lied about upgradability of their laptops, removed their UK social medias, hid evidence & charged customers different prices for the same 'exchange'.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

5 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

Sounds to me like you hold grudges for too long.  A lot can happen in 15 years.

Today's Apple does not look the same as Steve Jobs' Apple from, like, 2010.  Similarly, HP built much more reliable computers in 2010 than they do now.

From what I've heard from others, ASRock has turned a corner.  They're a noticeably better brand than they were just 5 years ago.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me

How oh how...... will i ever find somebody else that makes motherboards...... if only there was some other company that wasn't asrock that made motherboards.

How in the actual fuck do companies think that this shit won't get called out almost immediately?

Has NO ONE learned the gospel of Gabe Newell?!

'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet - because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.' - GabeN

Seriously, how does any marketing person not get this yet? You really think some random person is going to take your minor bribe over the absurd amount of attention they can get from calling you out for it?! The amount of value this guy just received in calling out your bullshit outweighs almost anything you would be allowed to pay him off with.

And in return, the damage you have done to your own brand is completely absurd. I know now that I will NEVER buy an MSI product, out of sheer principle alone.

(nevermind the horrible edgy 10th grader branding of black/red+OMGDRAGON)

1 hour ago, SabianSVK said:

Gonna wait for how this turns out .. Hopefully LTT will make a coverage of this.
I am not gonna try and convince anyone that big companies don´t do shady stuff, cos they definitely do ... but I´d preferably want to know the full story, if it´s just some guy in PR/Marketing or half the company, if it´s first time or a casual thing for them, and so on ...

Either way, this will be interesting.

Given his history, I'd bet actual money (if I had any to spend currently) that @LinusTech covers this in some way.

I'm fairly certain that he has covered this type of behavior in the past, and said something along the lines of "do you really think you can offer me enough to willingly damage the single biggest value my company has, that being the trust between my audience and myself?!" or something along those lines.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Welp, time to swap out the tomahawk board in my build list, oof.

Pizza is the best food group

I've never trusted reviews for this reason.  I have no reason to trust reviewers or the internet unless I have built up a communicative relationship with users on a forum over several years (like this one).  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm very curious to see how this ends up playing out for MSI. 

My money's on this is a rouge-ish PR person. I say rouge-ish because almost certainly this person didn't act on their own but as a result of internal pressure or mandates from MSI's higher ups. The internal mandate probably didn't directly say "Pay off reviewers for positive reviews" but I'm sure there is a policy that would reward this kind of behavior by the PR person.

Either way extremely suspect when this kind of behavior starts coming out of any company.  

4 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

This has been going on with Chinese vendors for as long as there was incentive to cheat reviews. It's not just MSI, it's everything.

Go look up on youtube how various companies cheat amazon.com's reviews by having the reviewer buy the product themselves and offering to pay them the cost of the reviewed item if they leave a good review. You simply can not trust reviews, even from "customers" who bought the product, because they may have been paid off after the fact.

More to the point on eBay this has been going on for at least 20 years with feedback farming. Everytime you read "please contact us before you leave feedback" means that is a shady seller who has been selling garbage and doesn't want you to plow their feedback score into the ground. Because it only takes selling two bad products on eBay to get banned.

No reviews can ever be truly trusted, whether reviewer or "actual customer." 

Like others, this strikes me more as a lone person taking their control of PR too far. It'll be interesting to see MSI's official response, and whether LTT and other tech reviewers have anything to add or say on the matter.

As has been formerly outlined, others who come out of the shadows to pile on MSI will probably have their credibility tarnished, as we can never truly know if they took the pay offs.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

What's Kingston done?

37 minutes ago, divito said:

Like others, this strikes me more as a lone person taking their control of PR too far. 

5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Or it never happened and this reviewer is trying to get more exposure. Where's the emails? I have started refusing to believe anything any such claims that pop up on social media until there is proof. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒