Lenovo Ideapad Y560 - Windows 7 Clean Install
Manager asked me to format his 10-year old laptop.
Curiosity got the better of me and I said I'd give it a shot!
- Processor: Intel Core i7-740QM Processor.
- RAM: 4 GB DDR3 RAM.
- Storage: 500 GB HDD.
- Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730.
- Display: 15.6" HD (1366 × 768), WLED Type, TFT Color LCD.
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium.
Apparently I've become the tech support at my workplace?!
Mostly I'm fixing printer problems, pointing out the nifty things Excel can do, and other minor odd things that's as natural as breathing for most people here. Wasn't really in the job description, but eh, smol potatoes! I guess I enjoy it? Plus, I get to show off. Stoke my pride, mm yes, gib praise, kek.
Then Manager-san pulls me aside and wonders if I can help him out with formatting his old laptop. In the span of five minutes, my answers went from "Um... I don't really know how to..." to "Oh, I might have an idea." and "Yeah, I'll (try to) do it!"
I mean, I know how to reset my Thinkpad to it's factory settings, thanks to
stupid me messing aroundclever troubleshooting. This shouldn't be too hard, ye?
Eh, some wrenches got thrown in my very well-planned plans (...the plan was Fake-It-Till-U-Make-It and Boogle Everything™).
- Password-Locked User Accounts: Manager didn't know the passwords to most of the accounts. There was a Guest account that I was able to access, but I don't think I could've done anything substantial with it. By pure happenstance, one of the Admin accounts didn't have a password, and I was able to use that.
- Windows 7 OS: 'Chew did not anticipate Windows 7 being a PITA. Also, daaamn, how many years has it been since I touched Windows 7?!
- No Windows 7/MS Office Product Key(s): More of a minor inconvenience than a detrimental issue. Well, I was curious about those product key finders available online, and this little escapade gave me the perfect excuse to try them out at no personal cost.
Lenovo Ideapad Y560
...There's a looot of garbage in here.
Only two photos 'cos it ain't muh property and taking more photos/screenies of the process felt like an invasion of my Manager's privacy?
IDK, 'Chew be weird sometimes.
Plan A: Factory Reset via Advanced Boot Options
Didn't work, lol.
NirSoft ProduKey: This, at least, worked well for my case. I wanted to recover the laptop's Windows 7 and MS Office product keys, and I got 'em.
- Magical Jelly Bean Finder: Was originally my first choice, but it needed to be installed on the device to use it, and -- at the time -- I was logged into the Guest account and was under the impression that I couldn't access any of the user accounts.
- System Recovery Options: IDK why Windows 7 requires a User Account to access the System Recovery Options? Was initially annoyed by the hindrance, but it made me backtrack and discover the password-less Admin account, so... I guess it turned out alright...
- No Factory Image Restore/Reset Option: Instead of getting this window (image), I got this window (image). If there be no convenient button to click, how do I do the thingy?!
Wellp. That was bunk. Onwards to Plan B!
Plan B: Install Windows 7 OS from Bootable USB
Worked. Huh... Wait. Huh?!
- Downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) ISO.
Created a Bootable USB Device (Windows 7) with Microsoft's Windows USB/DVD Download Tool.
- Ignored error message after running the tool. Also ignored NTFS/FAT32 stuff.
- Checked the Ideapad Y560's boot sequence.
- Stuck USB Device into Ideapad Y560. Miraculously managed to boot off the USB.
Followed Windows 7 Home Premium OS installation instructions.
- Yeeted all the previous disk partitions into the void. All of them.
- Chucked in the Windows 7 Home Premium product key I lifted with Produkey.
Success! Windows 7 OS installed!
- Continue fumbling around with driver installations and USB drives because the wireless and Ethernet got disabled. Feck.
Plan C (Backup Plan): Install Windows 10 OS from Bootable USB
Wanted to avoid giving my Manager an un-activated system if I could help it, but heck, it'd still count as a fresh system?
Was planning to chuck the Windows 7 product key at the activation thingymajig and cross my fingers and hope that it'd automagically work. Probably wouldn't, but trying wouldn't hurt, right?
Hm... This took way too much of my evening.
But hey, success!
Windows 7 Home Premium OS - Up and Running!
Yooooooooo I feel like a kid all over again! Ahahahaha!
Good learning experience, methinks. [Takes notes, takes notes.]
And Windows 7 was a trip down the memory lane! ...But I'll stick with Windows 10, thanks.
- Show previous comments 4 more
Er, this be my Manager's laptop and he specifically wanted Windows...
That being said, I've never touched Linux before, and I don't think it'd fit his (or my) use cases at all. This specific laptop's for work-related purposes, and I'm not 100% sure whether the other work-related software/programs will play nicely with Linux, or if there are even Linux-compatible versions of said programs available.
Needed Excel. Also, I do have the MS Office product key, so I might as well install software that my Manager's familiar with, aye?
Introduction Hey there! Welcome to ‘Chew’s keeb build log, please enjoy your stay! The goal here is perfection -- assembling the best keeb that'll satisfy my Petty and Stupidly Specific Desires™ (PASSD). 'Chew's Keeb Desires Green: Nonnegotiable Preferences ("Need"). | Blue: Preferred Preferences ("Want"). Size, Layout: TKL, ANSI. Case: Metallic Construction. High-Profile, Angled. Matte Black. Plate: Black/Chrome. Standard Bottom Row (6.25U Spacebar). Tsangan Bottom Row (7U Spacebar). PCB: Hotswap. Standard Bottom Row (6.25U Spaceba
Mode Designs First Edition Eighty Dark. Hotswap. TKL. Chonk TKL Case Has a handle on the other side, to bonk heads with. ...Whaddya mean it's not for bonking? Mode Designs First Edition Eighty - Unboxed Just finished assembling the keeb, and am typing on it right now! Will spew out a build log tomorrow night. Aaaaaaahhhhhh I love it! I love how it looks I love how it sounds I love how it feels!!! Also I love how it ate up $600 - $700 of my wallet aaaaaahahahahahahahahaha! Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM RAM
Smol question for the Mods! Is the Build Logs section exclusively for PCs? As in, can we post build logs of other tech projects (e.g. keyboards) in that sub-forum too? Or would those belong in other sub-forums (Peripherals/Hobby Electronics)? Thank! Have noice day!
Help Contribute! - Cable Vendors Bumpity-Bump! Been taking an interest in custom cables and aviator cables recently, and I was curious whether peeps'll be able to help me out? Window-shopping for cables sorta made me think about how awfully lacking this thread is when it comes to custom/aftermarket cable vendors (...it's also lacking in other areas too, but... LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT THAT RIGHT NOWWW*. ). *It's Joke™. Lemme know what areas you'd like to see improvement in, and I'll see what I can do? I know I need to work Stabilizers (plate-mounted, PCB-mounted,
Flex Your Fingers! - $10 Steam Digital Gift Card or Discord Nitro Giveaway ResultsSpoiler
Main Giveaway Result
If .GIF doesn't load: Haro.
Update: Haro has decided to pass on the gift to XR6. I will PM them to work out the details.
Bonus Giveaway Result
N/A. No entrants managed to beat 148 WPM with 100% Accuracy.
Mod-Only Giveaway Result
N/A. No Mods submitted a valid entry.
Please do not notify the winning entrant that they have won.
If there are any difficulties viewing any part of this status update, please notify me.
The winning entrant will have 24 hours to PM me with their gift choice, along with their Steam username for the Steam Digital Gift Card, or their Discord username for Discord Nitro.
- Please be patient with me if I do not respond to the PM within the next 12 hours, or if I drop an ongoing conversation abruptly -- my schedule this week/weekend is a little tight (actually has been for the entire month thus far ), and I have only very small pockets of time between work and sleep.
- I will only attempt to send the gift once.
- If the Steam Digital Gift Card is chosen, the winning entrant must allow me to add their Steam name to my friends list, and must wait 3 days after they have been added to my Steam friends list for the gifting to work.
- If Discord Nitro is chosen, the winning entrant must allow me to PM them with the Nitro link. Please review and adjust your privacy settings accordingly, and please anticipate a bit of fumbling around on my part (‘Chew is a Discord newb).
- If the winning entrant does not fulfill the winning conditions, another entrant will be selected as the winner.
Thank you to all participants for entering the giveaway!
MORE TAKKA TAKKA'S!
TUMENECO - ホシノユメ Vocals: yukina, みぃ This sooong! It be very high on my favorites list. It's also the only song on my entire Touhou playlist that I can sing follow-along with 99% accuracy. ('Chew can't sing to save her life. )
GMMK TKL Update! Received my shipment of extra Kailh BOX Ancient Grays form MK today! Now I've got enough to outfit all the keys on my TKL, yey~ Switch Modding Update! Swapped the bottom housings for all 100 Kailh BOX Blacks and Hako Royal Clears! It went infinitely faster with a switch opener, compared to the sharp edge/pocket knife method.
Perhaps try asking MAX Keyboard's support team, if you'd like further customization options. Or create and upload your own design. If you've questions about designing your own artwork, I can't help with that. Try experimenting on your own?
ANSI Custom White Translucent Top Backlight Keycap Set (Side Print) ANSI Custom White Translucent Top Backlight Keycap Set (Top Print) ANSI Layout Custom Backlight Keycap Set (Side Print) ANSI Layout Custom Backlight Keycap Set (Top Print) ANSI Layout Custom Color Keycap Set MAX Black Translucent Keycap Set Click on any of the options above; you can customize your keycap legends on the site, towards the bottom of the product page.
Is there a question? Please read the main post. Specifically, please open up the Spoilers for Screenshot 1 and Screenshot 2, take note of the highlighted orange/purple squares in either screenshots, and read the text written below each screenshot. I think so, unfortunately. Gonna assume that you've already tried Monkeytype with different browsers, so... Would you have another PC/laptop you could try the typing test with, or a throwaway account that might work? I don't have any corroborating evidence, but I suspect Monkeytype m