PCIE to M.2 Adaptor possible? Yes? No? Maybe?

JMaxcey

Hey all, current setup:

Ryzen 5 5500

ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 Mobo

and a Graphics card in my first slot. 

I've found a couple cheap WD M.2 ssd's but I already have something in my one M.2 slot. I remember seeing that you can get some PCIE to M.2 adaptors and was like what the heck, I'll get 2, but after looking at a few dual adaptors, I've see where people/info has talked about needing bifurcation. I tried looking at the manual but honestly I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at. 

So does my Mobo support it? Not really sure what technical spec I would be looking for. Or would two single adaptors work?

Was looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-32Gbps-Expansion-Converter-Express/dp/B09SL9F832?th=1

And here's the link to the Mobo specs:

https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#Specification

2 minutes ago, JMaxcey said:

So does my Mobo support it?

It should. As long as the motherboard supports NVMe boot it should support the PCIe to M.2 adapters. Even if it didn't, the adapters basically always work for allowing secondary storage in a system, and since you already have a boot drive that works you should be good. 

50 minutes ago, JMaxcey said:

So does my Mobo support it? Not really sure what technical spec I would be looking for. Or would two single adaptors work?

Yes it will work, as listed on the Mobo's manual (reference as below)

If it mentions support "x4" on the PCIE3 (this is the secondary slot for PCIE, since I'm assuming you're plugging your GPU on the PCIE1 based on the manual), it means it support the requirement of NVME boot disk,  (or even to do basic work as storage)

image.png.ed3040a49ece459bc9c7eb7ea6f6d8b6.png

P.S.

Most PCIe expansion slot is so versatile, it can do almost anything that your motherboard couldn't do (especially on the older model of mobo).

Wi-Fi module, Bluetooth, USB3 expansion, High speed Gigabit Ethernet, Sound card, multiple GPU, heck even RGB and Fan header hub is possible.

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

42 minutes ago, JMaxcey said:

Hey all, current setup:

Ryzen 5 5500

ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 Mobo

and a Graphics card in my first slot. 

I've found a couple cheap WD M.2 ssd's but I already have something in my one M.2 slot. I remember seeing that you can get some PCIE to M.2 adaptors and was like what the heck, I'll get 2, but after looking at a few dual adaptors, I've see where people/info has talked about needing bifurcation. I tried looking at the manual but honestly I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at. 

Was looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-32Gbps-Expansion-Converter-Express/dp/B09SL9F832?th=1

And here's the link to the Mobo specs:

https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#Specification

Yes it works.

I had an old pc. 

Runing

i7 3770k

Gigabyte ud3h

Able to use this as boot drive as well. But I recall there some issue in setting which need to config before it shows as drive. I cant recall already.

My advice is, use data ssd instead. The extra pcie lanes u can upgrade other things like network card, or video capture in future.

If day to day basis.  U are not really getting to make full use as u are not downloading and uploading big files every single task u are doing.

This is my opinion only.