[Update] MSI paying reviewers to remove their bad reviews of their products

GoodBytes
3 minutes ago, DemiGod said:

I fully agree to the support for the guy but I hope people realize this all could be a fake story where a guy got payd by competitor or just wants attention to ruin MSI name. 

A company wouldn't risk paying a lesser known youtuber to slander another company. First of all, there would we no return on that investment as not many people put much weight into the words of lesser known youtubers. This is why the youtuber reached out to larger reviewers in the industry, and why it was important for those larger youtubers to rally behind him. Secondly, if they got caught paying to spread misinformation about other companies, they stand to lose far more than what they'd ever gain from such a poorly planned smear campaign. I don't disagree with being skeptical in situations like these, but when all of the evidence points towards the accuser being right, we can ease up on the skepticism and proceed with criticizing the accused.

This entire situation is just confirmation that the Streisand Effect is still a thing, and that MSI shot themselves in the foot, further exposing the very issues they tried to keep quiet.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The unfortunate thing is that this is all too common especially for smaller players. Even comparatively big fish like Hardware Unboxed aren't safe from bullying tactics either, like the one they got from ASUS. 

Now it's MSI's turn to boil and hopefully with GN exposing that sort of stuff alongside others, maybe companies will be more mindful about approaching negative feedback. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, DemiGod said:

I fully agree to the support for the guy but I hope people realize this all could be a fake story where a guy got payd by competitor or just wants attention to ruin MSI name. 

No company will risk having a lot of flak by doing this, and I trust Steve from GN