EU Vote in Favour of Article 13

chiller15

The European Parliament has given final approval to the Copyright Directive, a controversial package of legislation designed to update copyright law in Europe for the internet age.

Members of parliament voted 348 in favor of the law and 274 against. A last-minute proposal to remove the law’s most controversial clause — Article 13 or the ‘upload filter’ — was narrowly rejected by just five votes. The directive will now be passed on to EU member states, who will translate it into national law.

Advocates of the directive say it will balance the playing field between US tech giants and European content creators, giving copyright holders more power over how big internet platforms distribute their content. But critics say the law is vague and poorly thought-out, and will end up restricting how content is shared online, stifling innovation and free speech.

Source: The Verge

This doesn't look promising, even if the most controversial aspect has been removed (the 'upload filter'). Who knows what the future of content creation is going to be like after this has been implemented and the dust settles.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Just now, Sychic said:

I thought we had an understanding...

We can kiss and make up, right? In all seriousness, this is a developing story and they were one of the only reputable non-paywall sites reporting on it at the time of posting.

What idiot at EU barn thought this would actually work in any meaningful way?

10 minutes ago, Sychic said:

I thought we had an understanding...

That meme is played out and dead. The website is fine. Let it be and RIP. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I do think copyright laws should be changed when technology that affects it changes but this legislation is not 'up to date' at all.

F

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

F in the chat boys...... Hope this wont affect me being Canadian Xd

Current main PC:

CPU: R7 5800x (PBO undervolted)

GPU: 7900XT

RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz

MOBO: Asus ROG B550 F Gaming Wifi

CASE: Xtia Xproto ATX

Server PC:

CPU: Xeon X5690

GPU: R9 Fury X

RAM: Assorted 4gb sticks (24gb total)

MOBO: Asus Sabretooth X58

CASE: Alienware Area 51 ALX

Guess it's time to buy a VPN subscription then..

It's bad enough that it actually got approved in the first place, but IMO the worst part about all this is that the politicians who voted to approve this have absolutely no idea how much this will affect the internet.

Seems like the beginning of the end of an internet without censorship.

3 minutes ago, Terabyte_272 said:

F in the chat boys...... Hope this wont affect me being Canadian Xd

I think it'll have the similar wide-ranging effects that GDPR had across the Internet and how we manage data. I doubt that a company like YouTube are simply going to geoblock EU users from accessing non-EU content. They'll have to implement a system to check content prior to publishing anyway for those who upload inside the EU. I would expect them to roll that system out globally.

4 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

I think it'll have the similar wide-ranging effects that GDPR had across the Internet and how we manage data. I doubt that a company like YouTube are simply going to geoblock EU users from accessing non-EU content. They'll have to implement a system to check content prior to publishing anyway for those who upload inside the EU. I would expect them to roll that system out globally.

Hmm yea thats what I thought... why would youtube not geoblock eu users that may be much better than another annoying algorithm

Current main PC:

CPU: R7 5800x (PBO undervolted)

GPU: 7900XT

RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz

MOBO: Asus ROG B550 F Gaming Wifi

CASE: Xtia Xproto ATX

Server PC:

CPU: Xeon X5690

GPU: R9 Fury X

RAM: Assorted 4gb sticks (24gb total)

MOBO: Asus Sabretooth X58

CASE: Alienware Area 51 ALX

1 minute ago, Terabyte_272 said:

Hmm yea thats what I thought... why would youtube not geoblock eu users that may be much better than another annoying algorithm

Unless they withdraw their service from the EU entirely, they're going to have to create the annoying algorithm anyway.

16 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

The website is fine.

The website has never been fine. It wasn't even fine when douchenozzles like Topolsky and Patel worked for Engaget.

13 minutes ago, XR6 said:

IMO the worst part about all this is that the politicians who voted to approve this have absolutely no idea how much this will affect the internet.

They know exactly what effect it'll have, that's why they're doing it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They know exactly what effect it'll have, that's why they're doing it.

Most of them barely even know what the internet is, lol

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Most of them barely even know what the internet is, lol

Whilst that may be true, they know what money is. The music industry has been pushing for a lot of this. I'm not sure it takes much to connect the dots.

1 hour ago, chiller15 said:

Advocates of the directive say it will balance the playing field between US tech giants and European content creators, giving copyright holders more power over how big internet platforms distribute their content.

"Advocates of the directive have thoroughly proven that they have no clue what the fuck is going on, and have decided to create even more imbalance in favor of large corporations"

Seriously, who are these people who think life just isn't fair for the mega rich? 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, chiller15 said:

Whilst that may be true, they know what money is. The music industry has been pushing for a lot of this. I'm not sure it takes much to connect the dots.

The music industry already steals the revenue of pretty much half the videos on youtube, so this isn't too surprising. What is surprising is that these 60 year old boomers have a say in something they don't understand in any way shape of form.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 hour ago, chiller15 said:

But critics say the law is vague and poorly thought-out, and will end up restricting how content is shared online, stifling innovation and free speech.

Does free speech exist in Europe? 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

jbBag7w.png

CPU: Ryzen 2700x Cooler: NZXT x52 Kraken Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Vii RAM: Team Darkgroup 3600 16GB DDR4 GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, 500gb 870 Evo, 250gb 970 Evo m.2 HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Case: Meshify C PSU: Corsair AX860i OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: MSI GS70 2QE