EU Vote in Favour of Article 13

chiller15
7 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Does free speech exist in Europe? 

On paper, yes.

In practice, never has, and at this rate, probably never will.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

F

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

My biggest concern is geo blocking.
In order to not provide these new rules on their own sites, it could be possible that many websites instead just geo block EU-citizens. Well, we could avoid this with a vpn connection but that's just dumb.

I wish I'd live in canada or somewhere else where the government shares the best of europes systems like free health care.
Who knows, maybe Linus does need a programmer to make his own game where you get points if you drop expensive hardware?
>>Just message me<<

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

guess its time to start the portugexit movement

It looks like there might be an opportunity to have this reversed but I doubt the politicians who voted this in will be willing to change their tone to that of what the people want.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Most of them barely even know what the internet is, lol

Didn't they refer to a music streaming service that only existed between 2001 and 2003? LOL

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

What idiot at EU barn thought this would actually work in any meaningful way?

Sadly it seems not one, but 348 idiots thought this was a good idea.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

This was merely one step towards turning it into a law.  The big day will be in 2 weeks when the European Council votes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we in the meantime have another major internet strike like in the SOPA days. 

This is the most messed up thing ever who do these people think they are? I am literally seeing the end of the internet right before my eyes holy crap!!

Advocates of the directive say it will balance the playing field between US tech giants and European content creators

US tech giants should make a deal with Trump, they will stop targeting conservatives and implement policies that reflect the 1st amendment, if he starts targeting the EU with economic sanctions and defense withdrawal. Time to bend these EU bureaucrats over and spank them.

Y'all EU people need to stop electing out of touch dudes. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

It doesn't help that many countries in Europe only have you vote for a party and not a candidate, though I don't know the specifics for election to the EU parliament.  Do EU citizens even have any say who sits on the EU parliament?

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

In this case there have been quite a bit of missinformation from both sides.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

last time the turnout was like 36%, even general elections here barely reach 50%, part of the problem is people are not paying attention, the media here isn't much better than us media which certainly doesn't help

4 hours ago, XR6 said:

It's bad enough that it actually got approved in the first place, but IMO the worst part about all this is that the politicians who voted to approve this have absolutely no idea how much this will affect the internet.

The ones writing the legislation (the people who actually do the writing, not the salesmen puppets "elected" into the EU "parliament", which is functionally little more than a rubber stamper) quite likely have a rather good idea of what they're trying to achieve with "legislation" such as this.

Seems like the beginning of the end of an internet without censorship.

Free speech is great for the masses. Not so great for anyone needing to control information to maintain wealth and power though ? (sheep will not revolt if they do not know they can or should revolt in the first place).

5 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

The ones writing the legislation (the people who actually do the writing, not the puppets "elected" into the EU "parliament", which is functionally little more than a rubber stamper) quite likely have a rather good idea of what they're trying to achieve with "legislation" such as this.

Free speech is great for the masses. Not so great for anyone needing to control information to maintain wealth and power though ? (sheep will not revolt if they do not know they can or should revolt in the first place).

thats why they started by controlling the media, and now they are going for the alternatives

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

thats why they started by controlling the media, and now they are going for the alternatives

Knowledge (or rather, the control thereof) is power. Quite literally. ?

RIP @Pewdiepie 

Meh, hopefully they'll realize soon enough that it's basically unenforceable and they'll amend it to target what they actually want to get rid of

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

50 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

It doesn't help that many countries in Europe only have you vote for a party and not a candidate, though I don't know the specifics for election to the EU parliament.  Do EU citizens even have any say who sits on the EU parliament?

I'm not sure if the voting process differs from country to country. But here in Sweden we can vote on a specific person. 

So the process is something like this. The LTT party are running with a list of 20 or so people. They put this in a priority order. 

As a voter you can then choose to vote for the LTT party without deciding on a person. Then it defaults to the first name on the list (or if they get two seats the two first names gets in). 

But if a majority of people who decided to vote for the LTT party cross in Coltons name, who is last, then he gets the seat. 

5 hours ago, chiller15 said:

This doesn't look promising, even if the most controversial aspect has been removed (the 'upload filter'). Who knows what the future of content creation is going to be like after this has been implemented and the dust settles.

It hasn't:

A last-minute proposal to remove the law’s most controversial clause — Article 13 or the ‘upload filter’ — was narrowly rejected by just five votes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, XR6 said:

Guess it's time to buy a VPN subscription then..

It's bad enough that it actually got approved in the first place, but IMO the worst part about all this is that the politicians who voted to approve this have absolutely no idea how much this will affect the internet.

Seems like the beginning of the end of an internet without censorship.

A VPN does nothing to mitigate the effects of this.

1 hour ago, peanuts104 said:

Criticises voting system, promptly admits not knowing anything about said voting system.

Brilliant.