image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I thought atx was already at 3.21 or something for years now. As for pcie5 I would assume even more overkill than pcie4 there are cards still sold that only do pcie3, and nothing I know of even saturates that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought atx was already at 3.21 or something for years now. As for pcie5 I would assume even more overkill than pcie4 there are cards still sold that only do pcie3, and nothing I know of even saturates that.

Umm... What?  

ATX 3.0 was released this year. 

https://edc.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/ipla/software-development-platforms/client/platforms/alder-lake-desktop/atx-version-3-0-multi-rail-desktop-platform-power-supply-design-guide/2.0/introduction/

The revision before that was ATX12V v2.53.  It was two years old.  They dropped the "12V".

PCIe, in this context, refers to the allowed AIC power requirements and connector defined by the PCI-SIG.  We're not talking about bandwidth here as it is documented that the 40 series will "only" have 64 GB/sec total bandwidth (4.0 equivalent) as opposed to  128 GB/sec total bandwidth (PCIe 5.0).

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Umm... What?  

ATX 3.0 was released this year. 

https://edc.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/ipla/software-development-platforms/client/platforms/alder-lake-desktop/atx-version-3-0-multi-rail-desktop-platform-power-supply-design-guide/2.0/introduction/

The revision before that was ATX12V v2.53.  It was two years old.  They dropped the "12V".

PCIe, in this context, refers to the allowed AIC power requirements and connector defined by the PCI-SIG.  We're not talking about bandwidth here as it is documented that the 40 series will "only" have 64 GB/sec total bandwidth (4.0 equivalent) as opposed to  128 GB/sec total bandwidth (PCIe 5.0).

So it went from a question to a treatise. Ok.  Kind of a big change but it’s cool.  There have been a bunch of ATXes.  Btx was only one.  There was also atx12v and a bunch of others.  I don’t know if atx3.0 is the atx standard or an alternate. Kind of how there are actually two aspcas.  One is the real one and one pretends to be the real one while actually being an extremist animal rights group.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So it went from a question to a treatise. Ok.  Kind of a big change but it’s cool.  There have been a bunch of ATXes.  Btx was only one.  There was also atx12v and a bunch of others.  I don’t know if atx3.0 is the atx standard or an alternate. Kind of how there are actually two aspcas.  One is the real one and one pretends to be the real one while actually being an extremist animal rights group.

They are revisions.  As power requirements change, the revision changes.  It's not like a coexistence of multiple ATX revisions at the same time, although, a company could *choose* to make an "older revision" if they want to save cost (for example:  Meeting the 2% load efficiency requirements is not something you can do with a double forward topology).

Anyhoo.. I deleted the text and kept the images until I hear back from Intel.  We were reviewing the document last night and found that section 5.2.2.4.3 is in direct contradiction to section 3.1.2.

image.thumb.png.42d617e8822ee3a567499cab8611637b.png

13 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

They are revisions.  As power requirements change, the revision changes.  It's not like a coexistence of multiple ATX revisions at the same time, although, a company could *choose* to make an "older revision" if they want to save cost (for example:  Meeting the 2% load efficiency requirements is not something you can do with a double forward topology).

Anyhoo.. I deleted the text and kept the images until I hear back from Intel.  We were reviewing the document last night and found that section 5.2.2.4.3 is in direct contradiction to section 3.1.2.

image.thumb.png.42d617e8822ee3a567499cab8611637b.png

So atx3 is a revision like btx or atx12vo?  As in “not really atx, but sort of a coat tail thing”?  How about this:  did it come from the group that maintains the atx standard?

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So atx3 is a revision like btx or atx12vo?  As in “not really atx, but sort of a coat tail thing”?  How about this:  did it come from the group that maintains the atx standard?

Intel is the group that maintains the ATX standard.   ATX 3.0 is the next revision. 

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Intel is the group that maintains the ATX standard.   ATX 3.0 is the next revision. 

Finally had to google to figure this one out.  It didn’t make sense that we were so far in disagreement here.  We are talking about different things apparently.  What you are referring to by atx3.0 is a PSU spec, while I am talking about the motherboard spec.  It’s more specifically the atx12v which covers power supplies to the motherboard rather than the entire thing.  It apparently adds additional temporary voltage capacity requirements and the presence of an additional connector.  While the additional temporary capacity thing is not something that can be solved with an adaptor, the power connector bit likely can, so older PSUs can still probably be used in many cases.  The PSUs will still have 12v,5v, and 3.5v output.  It’s covered in a tom’s hardware article.  I got rolled by the pcie thing.

16 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Finally had to google to figure this one out.  It didn’t make sense that we were so far in disagreement here.  We are talking about different things apparently.  What you are referring to by atx3.0 is a PSU spec, while I am talking about the motherboard spec.  It’s more specifically the atx12v which covers power supplies to the motherboard rather than the entire thing.  It apparently adds additional temporary voltage capacity requirements and the presence of an additional connector.  While the additional temporary capacity thing is not something that can be solved with an adaptor, the power connector bit likely can, so older PSUs can still probably be used in many cases.  The PSUs will still have 12v,5v, and 3.5v output.  It’s covered in a tom’s hardware article.  I got rolled by the pcie thing.

No offense,  but you're thick.  😎

OF COURSE I'm talking about ATX as it pertains to the PSU.   We're in the PSU subforum.   Everything I posted pertains to PSU.   I even said that I was talking about PCIe 5.0 pertains to the power requirements.   😜

40 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No offense,  but you're thick.  😎

OF COURSE I'm talking about ATX as it pertains to the PSU.   We're in the PSU subforum.   Everything I posted pertains to PSU.   I even said that I was talking about PCIe 5.0 pertains to the power requirements.   😜

That “no offense but” bit is idiotic. Not “a bit idiotic” just straight up dumb.  It’s just saying “I’m about to say something offensive and I know it’s offensive but I want to escape the consequences of it anyway”. Bite me.  I didn’t come from the subforum.  I came from the “topics” thing which times how long a post has gone unreplied to.  It’s a bit like this

https://nypost.com/2022/08/12/murder-suspect-antoine-sims-calls-911-over-cold-mcdonalds-fries-ends-up-in-police-chase/

On 8/20/2022 at 11:41 AM, Bombastinator said:

That “no offense but” bit is idiotic. Not “a bit idiotic” just straight up dumb.  It’s just saying “I’m about to say something offensive and I know it’s offensive but I want to escape the consequences of it anyway”. Bite me.  I didn’t come from the subforum.  I came from the “topics” thing which times how long a post has gone unreplied to.  It’s a bit like this

https://nypost.com/2022/08/12/murder-suspect-antoine-sims-calls-911-over-cold-mcdonalds-fries-ends-up-in-police-chase/

Whatever.   Apparently you're a lot like the other folks here and just look for "post = post + 1" instead of actually contributing.

I have no problem judging your lack of reading comprehension.  And now you're added to my ignore list.  Good day.

On 8/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, Bombastinator said:

And putting in "no offense" then adding a sunglasses emote really makes it sound like they want to be offensive, it comes off as arrogant in my opinion. As for the topic, not sure why anyone should care about this besides it means you'll have to buy a new power supply that follows the new spec anyway.

Also honestly all the rude replies in this power supply section is why I usually avoid this part of the forum.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:41 PM, Bombastinator said:

3 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

And putting in "no offense" then adding a sunglasses emote really makes it sound like they want to be offensive, it comes off as arrogant in my opinion. As for the topic, not sure why anyone should care about this besides it means you'll have to buy a new power supply that follows the new spec anyway.

Also honestly all the rude replies in this corsair power supply section is why I usually avoid this part of the forum.

Whether you like or dislike how @jonnyGURU replied - He is right.

I have nothing to add or explain since @jonnyGURU explained it better than i can,

And his expertise in the field should not be ignored.

@Bombastinator You confused ATX 3.0 with ATX12VO - They are different types of the ATX standard which as Jonny said is maintained by Intel.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Whether you like or dislike how @jonnyGURU replied - He is right.

I have nothing to add or explain since @jonnyGURU explained it better than i can,

And his expertise in the field should not be ignored.

One should not overestimate it's own knowledge,skill or capabilities.

@Bombastinator You confused ATX 3.0 with ATX12VO - They are different types of the ATX standard which as Jonny said is maintained by Intel.

I'm not ignoring their expertise, or overestimating their knowledge,skill, or capabilities, my problem is with how they replied, and who they are shouldn't excuse the way they replied.

And yes I know who they are, although I think there should be an "industry affiliate" tag under their name, or at least a disclaimer they work for Corsair.

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'm not ignoring their expertise, or overestimating their knowledge,skill, or capabilities, my problem is with how they replied, and who they are shouldn't excuse the way they replied.

And yes I know who they are, although I think there should be an "industry affiliate" tag under their name, or at least a disclaimer they work for Corsair.

As someone who has expertise in political science,

Everyday i see tons people on the internet who blab nonsense/misinformation/inaccurate information like they know what they are talking about.

At times i feel sick and tired of replying and explaining to them,especially when they don't listen and continue talking nonsense - I guess that's what @jonnyGURU felt at the moment he replied.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

My statement was not that I had not made a mistake and missed that bit.  My issue was that he felt that me doing it was proof that I was generally stupid.  I did not say that I was still right. I did not dispute that. The same thing could have been said in a way that would have elicited a wholly different response.  I get a lot of that crap around here.  Generally from just a few people.  It pisses me off. @jonnyGURU isn’t generally one of them in retrospect.  Perhaps this is a classic example of the term “triggered”

Edited by Bombastinator