CPU overheating issue

Rothinsky
Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
3 hours ago, Tegneren said:

From what I can see your case looks cool, but has bad airflow. Both the front main intake and the top exhaust is almost completely blocked off.

So that would be the culprit.

The GPU you have dumps basically all its heat into the case, and relies on the case airflow to exhaust it.

I would try removing the front and top case panels and see how the temps behave

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Not a surprise that case barelt has any front air intake. Better fans wont fix the issue if there is just no way to get air in easily.

Rip the front panel off or remove the side panel. Good chance any heating issues are immediatly gone.

Oh yes, I didn't look at the case, it's awful, absolutely disastrous with a 7900XTX reactor inside !!

@Rothinsky my advice is to change the case, and get a good airflow one instead  (even a $60ish  Deepcool CC560 is leagues better)

Hi there!

WIndows 10Home 64Bit

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX 240mm

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB

Graphics Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX

Mainboard: ASUS Prime B650-Plus

Case: AZZA Storm 6000-ARGB

PSU: GIGABYTE P1000GM 1000W

The Cooler is mounted on the top of the case with the Fans below the radiator.

The Case has 3 Fans included - 2 in front -one on the rear.

All drivers are updated via Armory Crate and AMD installer.

When doing only a CPU load like Prime95 smalles FFTs the CPU always stays below 75°C

But when doing CPU and GPU intense tasks such as running prime95 and Furmark for a while the CPU temperature keeps rising. The GPU in the meantime is about 70°C

Especially fast this can be seen in the game Nightingale when after around 20 Minutes the CPU maxes 89°C and sometimes the PC shuts thermal related down.

Because the fact that CPU temp is good when it's the used but maxes out when GPU and CPU is used I expect it may be an airflow related issue related to the case and the case fans.

Do you think upgrading the Case fans could resolve this issue or do you think the issue could be related to something different?

8 minutes ago, Rothinsky said:

Hi there!

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX 240mm

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB

Graphics Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX

Mainboard: ASUS Prime B650-Plus

Case: AZZA Storm 6000-ARGB

PSU: GIGABYTE P1000GM 1000W

The Cooler is mounted on the top of the case with the Fans below the radiator.

The Case has 3 Fans included - 2 in front -one on the rear.

All drivers are updated via Armory Crate and AMD installer.

When doing only a CPU load like Prime95 smalles FFTs the CPU always stays below 75°C

But when doing CPU and GPU intense tasks such as running prime95 and Furmark for a while the CPU temperature keeps rising. The GPU in the meantime is about 70°C

Especially fast this can be seen in the game Nightingale when after around 20 Minutes the CPU maxes 89°C and sometimes the PC shuts thermal related down.

Because the fact that CPU temp is good when it's the used but maxes out when GPU and CPU is used I expect it may be an airflow related issue related to the case and the case fans.

Do you think upgrading the Case fans could resolve this issue or do you think the issue could be related to something different?

The 7900XTX is a big hot fat boy (I got one I  know), 70C on it is not really good as it means  hotspot is around 95C+, and that the  inside of the case gets hot with the 400W+  generated heat

What's your GPU fan speed/curve ?

And I suppose/hope your AIO rad fans are on push/exhaust 🙂

Maybe you also need to increase AIO and case fans speed to move air faster,  I've gained  5C on the GPU (so 12C+ on hotspot) just with that

Another solution is to undervolt your CPU with PBO,  try CO -15 all cores

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

From what I can see your case looks cool, but has bad airflow. Both the front main intake and the top exhaust is almost completely blocked off.

The GPU you have dumps basically all its heat into the case, and relies on the case airflow to exhaust it.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Not a surprise that case barelt has any front air intake. Better fans wont fix the issue if there is just no way to get air in easily.

Rip the front panel off or remove the side panel. Good chance any heating issues are immediatly gone.

3 hours ago, Tegneren said:

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Oh yes, I didn't look at the case, it's awful, absolutely disastrous with a 7900XTX reactor inside !!

@Rothinsky my advice is to change the case, and get a good airflow one instead  (even a $60ish  Deepcool CC560 is leagues better)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, PDifolco said:

I expected this case to be not that good in airflow but didn't expect it to bee that bad. I will try to get a replacement, my friend wanted one with the front IO facing forward instead if upwards and there are not that many...
Thank you all for the help! 🙂

15 minutes ago, Rothinsky said:

I expected this case to be not that good in airflow but didn't expect it to bee that bad. I will try to get a replacement, my friend wanted one with the front IO facing forward instead if upwards and there are not that many...
Thank you all for the help! 🙂

My P600S has front IO "front" (with a hinged metal cache!), but it's pretty expensive and a bit old design now

On 4/26/2024 at 8:28 PM, PDifolco said:

My P600S has front IO "front" (with a hinged metal cache!), but it's pretty expensive and a bit old design now

My friend is honestly quite picky on the design, would you (or any other) kindly give me an honest opionion on the Asus TUF GT501 as upgrade possibility?

1 hour ago, Rothinsky said:

My friend is honestly quite picky on the design, would you (or any other) kindly give me an honest opionion on the Asus TUF GT501 as upgrade possibility?

Doesn't look too bad, front is half blocked but airflow should be okayish

Pretty expensive tho, hope you pay for some build quality not only the brand...

Can't you idrect your friend to reputable good case manufacturers like BeQuiet, LianLi, Phanteks, Corsair, Fractal .. ?

11 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Doesn't look too bad, front is half blocked but airflow should be okayish

Pretty expensive tho, hope you pay for some build quality not only the brand...

Can't you idrect your friend to reputable good case manufacturers like BeQuiet, LianLi, Phanteks, Corsair, Fractal .. ?

I try, but It's hard to find cases with the front IO facing forward. I thought aroung 120€ isn't too shabby for a case. There is alsothe newer Asus 302 TUF gaming 302 which definetly looks very promising regarding airflow but he doesn't quite like the look. But I'm optimistic we will find a solution - if not I'll propably open a new Thread or something. Thanks again!

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Phanteks Eclipse G500a. Tons of space to work with, much room for ventilation, supreme build quality and the best part - it fits 420mm rads in the front. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |