What does 60 percent cpu usage mean in task manager?

So I have an 8 core 16 thread cpu. Would 60 percent mean that more than 8 cores are being utlised?

10 minutes ago, remo233 said:

So I have an 8 core 16 thread cpu. Would 60 percent mean

Ill start with this, it could mean a few things, 60% of the 8 cores are being used at 100%, all 8 cores are being used at 60% each, or anything in between

10 minutes ago, remo233 said:

more than 8 cores are being utlised?

And now this, you quite simply dont have more than 8 cores, so you cant use more than them

To give an example, you cant drive on more than 4 wheels of your car

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

5 minutes ago, remo233 said:

So I have an 8 core 16 thread cpu. Would 60 percent mean that more than 8 cores are being utlised?

It means 60% of your processor's total processing capacity is in use. The workload isn't necessarily on one core/thread, or evenly distributed across all the cores/threads.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

If you right click the CPU utilization graph and click "Change graph to->Logical processors", you can see the individual core/thread utilization

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

image.png.42bb161f74ec47bfaf5538ad8ced949a.png

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

2 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Ill start with this, it could mean a few things, 60% of the 8 cores are being used at 100%, all 8 cores are being used at 60% each, or anything in between

And now this, you quite simply dont have more than 8 cores, so you cant use more than them

To give an example, you cant drive on more than 4 wheels of your car

8c =/= 8c/16t. I've always come to understanding hyperthreading/multithreading as the CPUs capability to have a core perform more than one task in a serial processor which traditionally could only do one task at a time.

I always go back to this comparison as the easiest way to differentiate the performance hyperthreading/multithreading provides:

Intel Core i9-9900K vs Intel Core i7-9700K Benchmark, comparison and differences (cpu-monkey.com)

Hyperthreading would be like having to collect Sonic the Hedgehog style coins while driving and your wheels could extend to reach more coins. Yeah there's only 4 wheels, but they can do the work of 5-6 total by being capable of multitasking. Pretty poor analogy, but I tried. 

2 hours ago, remo233 said:

Generally, that would mean you're using 60% of those 8c/16t available from your CPU at its given boost clock.

If the usage is a lot higher than you're expecting, I'd consider a few variables, like if you're in a c-state or p-state, background applications, thermal headroom to the throttle point, etc. 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

5 hours ago, Tegneren said:

If you right click the CPU utilization graph and click "Change graph to->Logical processors", you can see the individual core/thread utilization

Thanks for this, helped me identify an issue with a game.