Canon put AI cameras in its Chinese offices that only let smiling workers inside

Not_A_Spider

Summary

Canon's Beijing offices have installed AI-enabled cameras that only allow smiling workers to enter certain areas. These cameras were announced last year by Canon in conjunction with other 'workplace management' systems, but only implemented recently. Workplace surveillance is so common that the announcement of this technology flew completely under the radar until right now when it was put to use in offices, with systems ranging from keystroke trackers to 'relationship algorithms' already having been put to use with nobody noticing or caring, or at least not enough people to matter.

Quotes

From The Verge

Tech company Canon [...] installed cameras with AI-enabled “smile recognition” technology in the offices of its Chinese subsidiary Canon Information Technology. The cameras only let smiling workers enter rooms or book meetings, ensuring that every employee is definitely, 100 percent happy all the time.

Such modern-day Taylorism is not restricted to blue collar jobs, either: many modern software suites like Microsoft 365 come with built-in surveillance tools. And with more people working from home because of the pandemic, more companies are deploying these features for fear of losing control over their workers.

My thoughts

It was only a matter of time, but I'm surprised they went with something as stupid as smile detection. If they wanted to use AI for this sort of thing then I feel like there's way better (or at least more subtle) implementations. People are going to complain and petition for it to be removed anyways, so.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/17/22538160/ai-camera-smile-recognition-office-workers-china-canon

https://www.ft.com/content/b74b6ad6-3b8d-4cd8-9dd6-3b49754aa1c7 (Hard paywall)

https://www.businessinsider.com/workers-at-chinese-office-have-to-smile-at-ai-camera-2021-6?amp

How does it know a fake smile of disdain over a genuine happy face? 🤔

Canon be like: Mandatory Fun.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

40 minutes ago, Arika S said:

How do we fix our employee's wellbeing? 

Canon: AI cameras so only happy people can get in

Foxxcon: nets around the outside of the building so people can't jump off the roof

I guess if you're not smiling while jumping to your death there is a device that will actively deploy the net to catch you, if you're smiling then you're good to go (Splat). 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

This sounds like something out of a future-era oriented videogame. Not sure how to feel about it but one thing I know is if I worked there I'd be showing up with clothing all covered in smileys.

If that became a thing on my workplace, (it won't) I would straight up quit.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

So you're saying that if an employee is having a bad day and isn't smiling they won't be let into the office? That sounds like a good way to ruin someone's day even worse. The idea sounds terrible just reading so idk how they went all the way to implementing it without realising it is a bad idea. 

7 hours ago, Not_A_Spider said:

People are going to complain and petition for it to be removed anyways, so

7 hours ago, Not_A_Spider said:

Chinese

X Doubt

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Even beyond the Orwellian nightmare this represents, can you imagine having to smile every time you want to enter somewhere? As someone with resting bitch face, I tend to not smile a lot, even though I'm generally fairly happy or at least content. But hey, at least it's a way to claim that your employees are all happy, since they're always smiling. It's almost like a plantation owner bragging how he never hears any complaints from his slaves about their treatment and living situation, while ignoring that any complaints are usually followed by a beating.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

12 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Even beyond the Orwellian nightmare this represents, can you imagine having to smile every time you want to enter somewhere? As someone with resting bitch face, I tend to not smile a lot, even though I'm generally fairly happy or at least content. But hey, at least its a way to claim that your employees are all happy, since they're always smiling. It's almost like a plantation owner bragging how he never hears any complaints from his slaves about their treatment and living situation, while ignoring that any complaints are usually followed by a beating.

well you can get the joker smile and be set

We’re getting ever closer to real life GLADos becoming a thing. 

GLADos >>> Skynet

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Do you ever get in your car and try to put on your seatbelt, but it gets locked because you pulled slightly too hard on the belt? Then you have to let it retract a little bit and try pulling again but it gets stuck again. Then because you're frustrated trying to pull it you are incapable of pulling it slowly and gently enough that it doesn't lock, so you have to sit there for a few seconds before you try pulling the belt again?

That's what I imagine it would be like trying to get in to these meeting rooms with a smile.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Won't this just amplify how NOT happy they are when they aren't smiling?

Just imagine, you are sitting in a meeting room, waiting for people to join, group of people is at the door and they all smile 1 by 1 to enter the room to then go back to sadface once they are in. People are very good at noticing subtle expression changes. Forced smiles WILL be noticed.

But hey i'm not the person that somehow thought this was a good idea in the first place...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Looking happy is above my pay grade

HR has been notified of failure to comply.

Drones have been dispatched to Worker #1923512

Please remain calm, stay at your cube, and prepare to be vaporized!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

23 hours ago, StDragon said:

How does it know a fake smile of disdain over a genuine happy face? 🤔

Eye wrinkles, when you are really smiling the muscles near your eyes contract along with your jaw muscles. It's possible to fake but takes years to "smile with your eyes"

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

This idea sound so stupid and „cheap“ it of course had to be made real

Didn‘t LTT make a video years ago where they had a nerfgun that automatically shot if people didn’t look „happy“

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler