Youtube removing community caption feature by september.

Youtube is ending CC community contribution feature that lets youtube users to add subtitles as a community contributors to the videos, it will still be allowing original user to upload subtitles that they make, but will disable community uploading feature option by September 28th this year.

91520718_closedcaptionoption.PNG.11206561d1fb7efe5d6822c0c2e2998c.PNG

Closed Caption community contribution is a feature if it's allowed by the uploader, there will be an option available for anyone with a youtube account to upload their own subtitles that they made using any software , for example like amara to create a sub file upload a .srt file to match with the video translation. the file will stay hidden until channel user approves it manually & later it goes live.

if the feature is enabled, contributors can go to this menu in the subtitles option & upload a sub file manually picking whichever language they what it translated.

1313018906_closedcaptionoption2.PNG.2e292058bc5c3d4eb8d4c4ef6a35f4a1.PNG

This feature is an immensely helpful feature for people who have audience overseas with their first/mother language isn't English & the subtitles uploaded by their community from someone in that region becomes extremely helpful to the ordinary viewers who wants accurate translation provided by their community.

Other main beneficiary to this feature was deaf people. although small fraction most of the User uploaded subtitles are far more accurate than the horrendous YouTube auto-generated subtitles that sometimes makes no sense. this on English, imagine it going through another filter to translate to another language.shit gets seriously complex.

While we hoped Community Contributions would be a wide-scale, community-driven source of quality translations for Creators, it’s rarely used and people continue to report spam and abuse.
  • Both creators and viewers have reported problems with the community contributions feature, including spam, abuse, and low quality submissions. As a result, the feature is rarely used with less than 0.001% of channels having published community captions (showing on less than 0.2% of watch time) in the last month. Instead, creators are using YouTube’s alternative captioning tools. 
We’ve decided to discontinue the Community Contributions feature across all channels after September 28, 2020. You can still use manual and automatic captions, as well as third party tools and services. 

Obviously some of the users were infuriated & ranted on social media.

Aaaaand theres already a change.org petition, why do people do that? like it makes any sort of difference?

Anyways what do you guys think, post comments down below. i think it's a blunt short sighted move.theyve been making lots of unnecessary changes a lot lately, ever since that Tati & James charles drama leading upto the subcount rounding up & blocking soicial blade app from having data & changing comment section on mobiles etc.hopefully they wont go down the drain & into shit like those other online media platforms.

does Linus use this feature in any of his channel contents? post down below.

hqdefault.jpg

source:

https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/61967856

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/31/21349401/youtube-community-captions-deaf-creators-accessibility-google

https://www.engadget.com/youtube-community-contributions-saying-goodbye-141205281.html

Details separate people.

A lot of non-english content creator that rely on community added subs gonna be piss imo. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Yeah this is gonna be a huge problem for those 'VTubers' ( Usually its 3D anime girls who run youtube channels )
Example:

Usually it's fans who translate the videos into other languages and those fan translations are 10000x better then auto-translated subtitles.
- I dunno if Kazuna AI (above) does her own subtitles... Its been forever since Ive watched a video from her, but there are certainly smaller channels with the same premise that do not.

Then of course there are actual educational videos that might have official Spanish, and French subtitles but fans usually create the subtitles for less common languages like Portuguese, Dutch, Italian, Polish exc

27 minutes ago, Caroline said:

They really want to kill the site huh

This is just the start, next they'll track down the highest paid creators and personally take them out. /s

As a result, the feature is rarely used with less than 0.001% of channels having published community captions (showing on less than 0.2% of watch time) in the last month.

With the amount of content that's posted on YouTube, how much is 0.001% & 0.2%?

Both creators and viewers have reported problems with the community contributions feature, including spam, abuse, and low quality submissions.

This I can believe; give the internet a tool and they'll do everything but use it for its intended purpose.

15 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

If you're gonna shoot yourself in the foot, best do it with a .50 BMG - once and done - instead of doing it with a damn BB gun like Google seems to be doing.

YT is a weird place. It's been clear for a while that Google didn't want to buy them, but because of various investment networks were kind of pushed into it. Then, because it really took off, it became de facto "important" to all of the people you really don't want to control something they deem "important". Thus, the people actually in charge did something brilliant. They shoved all of the employees that they can't really fire (because they're related to someone important, normally) over there. It's basically the business version of the classroom for the problem children. Once you see it, most of what happens makes so much more sense.

Because, to YT, it's not possible to have Opt-In systems that can be managed more effectively. Their entire method of operation is "One Algo Must Fit It All", which is clearly the result of dealing with Management incapable of understanding anything beyond that. World-class Tech, Dumpster-class leadership.

32 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

If you're gonna shoot yourself in the foot, best do it with a .50 BMG - once and done - instead of doing it with a damn BB gun like Google seems to be doing.

Not quite a mere “shooting oneself in the foot”, but not quite “shooting oneself in the face” either. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

@lewdicrous and even the stat would be misleading. .2% would be 1 in 500 hours watched. So about 2k hours per 1mil hours played. Considering it'll all be on "lagging"/non-trending content, I'd actually assume the functional rate for the type of content it's on is closer to the 5-10% range. It's a bit like comparing traffic on Wikipedia. There's multiple types and some features are, in total, very small but, in the area they apply, quite widely used.

Of course, YT isn't smart enough to make it Opt-In with maybe even a Subscriber-only option. Hey, look, 15 seconds and I solve 95% of your problem. 

I honestly don't know how high of a bill I would charge if YT came for consulting work. 30m Yacht money would have to be the starting point.

I wonder if we're going to see a sudden increase of inaccurate auto generated CC - I do know that even on TV, things can be vastly inaccurate (watching German films is actually fascinating, because my Mum is able to pick apart bad translations and fairly often changed context).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

As someone who have unilateral hearing loss, this will trouble me a lot. I relied heavily on subtitles to comprehend any conversation if there is any background noises in the video.

I don't really see this as a problem considering the metrics that YouTube showed to explain the situation. This would be push creators to either upload high quality subtitles themselves or just rely on YouTube's auto captions. For those who don't know, auto captions also support auto translations but for some reason this is only available on the YouTube website. I've used it before and it's very decent for a tech review in a foreign language in my experience.

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

This is just the start, next they'll track down the highest paid creators and personally take them out. /s

With the amount of content that's posted on YouTube, how much is 0.001% & 0.2%?

This I can believe; give the internet a tool and they'll do everything but use it for its intended purpose.

I end up watching a lot of foreign language content, and aside from a few grammatical/typographical errors I rarely see any issues with user-submitted subtitles. It's a shame this program is ending, even if there's an automated generation system, there's nuance and slang that isn't probably apparent to those translation systems.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

A lot of non-english content creator that rely on community added subs gonna be piss imo. 

Yeah, but muh Google translation "Ai" is what Google will be pushing for sure.

I'm actually waiting for the announcement that they are going to can youtube altogether,  sack a few thousand people,  sell off some data centres and re invest in other services.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This was mentioned before, I thought they already did this. They kill feature by feature. Their livestream side, while they don't really work on it or care much, is a luck of it's own if Twitch screws it self or some streamer needs alternate. It's YT so. 

Now what is annoying is their bad UI especially on desktop. Which is funny that mobile at times sems more finished as far as UX goes. I literally need extensions for YT like playlist timer, autostop playlist play, these were there before. Their notifications are useless and broken. They're so late, so what's the point of them vs go to sub page. Only good for comments. Oh but wait, they ruined that too few times alreay, at times didn't allow you to properly reply. Would take you to video instead, not even anchor to comment. So much functionality they ruin or don't add. Not to mention Gmail. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Didn't YouTube have built in system to pay third party to do subs? Or do I remember wrong?

Maybe Youtube takes a cut there and want people to use that feature instead.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

To be perfectly honest, I am not surprised. That's the problem with such big corporations. They can do a lot of stupid and fucked up decisions and still won't care. People will just swallow it and deal with them and continue using it.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

This is unfortunate. I have hearing damage and it isn't even that bad, but I still can't imagine not having captions, a lot of which are community captions. This might be the end of me using youtube as an entertainment platform, it will seriously suck.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

On 8/1/2020 at 5:19 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

@lewdicrous and even the stat would be misleading. .2% would be 1 in 500 hours watched. So about 2k hours per 1mil hours played. Considering it'll all be on "lagging"/non-trending content, I'd actually assume the functional rate for the type of content it's on is closer to the 5-10% range. It's a bit like comparing traffic on Wikipedia. There's multiple types and some features are, in total, very small but, in the area they apply, quite widely used.

Of course, YT isn't smart enough to make it Opt-In with maybe even a Subscriber-only option. Hey, look, 15 seconds and I solve 95% of your problem. 

I honestly don't know how high of a bill I would charge if YT came for consulting work. 30m Yacht money would have to be the starting point.

charging a lot is smart but lets be real, a 14 year old could do a better job than they are doing.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:36 AM, mr moose said:

I'm actually waiting for the announcement that they are going to can youtube altogether,  sack a few thousand people,  sell off some data centres and re invest in other services.

at this point it would be the best move for people, and hopefully a better platform takes its place.

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

charging a lot is smart but lets be real, a 14 year old could do a better job than they are doing.

at this point it would be the best move for people, and hopefully a better platform takes its place.

winmx

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 1 month later...

Summary

Youtube has decided to kill off community provided captions, leaving just auto-generated captions. Ironically, during Deaf Awareness Week.

Media

28.jpg

Quotes

Today's the day YouTube is killing its "Community Contributions" feature for videos, which let content creators crowdsource captions and subtitles for their videos. Announced...in July, which triggered a community outcry from the deaf, hard of hearing, and fans of foreign media. In one of Google's all-time, poor-timing decisions, YouTube is killing the feature just two days after the International Week of the Deaf. Once enabled..., the Community Contributions feature would let viewers caption or translate a video and submit it to the channel for approval. YouTube currently offers machine-transcribed subtitles that are often full of errors. YouTube says it's killing crowd-source subtitles due to spam and low usage. "While we hoped Community Contributions would be a wide-scale, community-driven source of quality translations for Creators,"..."it's rarely used and people continue to report spam and abuse." A petition immediately popped up asking YouTube to reconsider, and so far a half-million people have signed. "Removing community captions locks so many viewers out of the experience," the petition reads. Instead of the free, in-house solution YouTube already built and doesn't want to keep running, the company's shutdown post pushes users to paid, third-party alternatives. "YouTube will be covering the cost of a 6 month subscription of Amara.org for all creators who have used the Community Contribution feature for at least 3 videos in the last 60 days."

My thoughts

Christ Google, that's some horrendous timing on your part. At the very least, Creators will still be able to able to subtitle their own content. Regardless, the auto generated subtitles are pretty garbage and having them auto-translated completely makes them incomprehensible. 

Sources

BBC
Youtube

Arstechnia (quote, media source)

The Verge

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor