Mexico approves law against right to repair. Those who attempt to modify or repair any electornic device could face up to 6 years in prision.

Summary

The Network fo the Defense of Digital Rights in Mexico (R3D) warns the public that a law has been aproved that would have consequences spanning internet censorship and even reduced freedom of speech online (something worse than the U.S Net Neutrality Act).

This law also means that users will not be ale to repair or modify their electronic devices unless they take them direcly to the manufacturer. Small repair shops will be illegal or prone to high fees; only the big manufacturers will be allowed to continue repairs. And if any device has a software lock, for example the 2018 MacBook Pro, it will be illegal to bypass it, and it will require you to go only to apple.

This also means that online censorship is getting to dangerous levels, before as it is pointed out in the article below, there have been entire online publication / newspapers taken down for governmental purposes , to cover up corruption, with the excuse of it infringes copyright law even though they were entirely original contetnt. Before government censorship was present but this law will give them the tools to take down any website or article without needing to provide any explanation at all.

Quotes

"It will be illegal and worthy of sanctions [...] to repair or modify electronic devices [...] with fines up to 1.7 Million pesos (74 thousand USD) and up to 6 years in prision" - Adriana Cruz, El Universal (2020)

"The reforms approved by the Congress of Union that legalize Internet Censorship configure the most serious legislative setback from freedom of speech within memory" - Adriana Cruz, El Universal (2020)

"The reforms on the Federal Law on Copyright, appoved by the Senate on June 29, violate huma rights and freedom of expression" - Luis Fernando García, Director of the Network for the Defense of Digital Rights (R3D) Milenio (2020)

"If a person makes a notice to the internet that a content violates copyrights, the company is obliged to take it down it without the need for a court order, due process and without having determined that such content is really infringing,"- Hernandez, Milenio News, 2020

My thoughts

Saldy to a tech head like myself this means that my small business involving computer building, computer repair, and computer upgradesh shop may now be illegal to maintain. Suddendly most computer markets that offer small phone repair services may go out of business due to this law. Man Louis Rossman would me mad right now.

Mexico has just lost an important battle when it comes to right to repair...

Sources

El Universal: One of the biggest mexican newsletters -  https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/techbit/diputados-aprueban-ley-iras-la-carcel-si-reparas-o-modificas-tus-dispositivos-electronicos

Translated: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eluniversal.com.mx%2Ftechbit%2Fdiputados-aprueban-ley-iras-la-carcel-si-reparas-o-modificas-tus-dispositivos-electronicos

Milenio Noticias: Another reputable newspaper - https://www.milenio.com/negocios/censura-multas-reparar-electronicos-leyes-t-mec

Translated: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.milenio.com%2Fnegocios%2Fcensura-multas-reparar-electronicos-leyes-t-mec

iPhone_SE_2020_72_edit-1-scaled.jpg

23 hours ago, Fabian Lioner said:

This law also means that users will not be ale to repair or modify their electronic devices unless they take them direcly to the manufacturer. Small repair shops will be illegal or prone to high fees; only the big manufacturers will be allowed to continue repairs.

As someone who is into DIY and hacking, that's MAJOR DUCKING BULLSHIT. I really, really, really, really, REALLY hope no one decides to push similar laws here in the EU. Also, this is just terrible news for anyone in Mexico. Well, anyone except the Big Corp, I guess.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Censorship, so sue me

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

In a day and age where the environment is very important, this is a horrible disgusting decision.

It will be illegal and worthy of sanctions [...] to repair or modify electronic devices

How dare people repair their otherwise landfill material ready devices they legally own!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

For goodness' sake, it's their own ducking device, can they not do what they want with it

Edited by LogicalDrm
Censorship, so sue me

Just enjoy it trickling down. Smooth afternoon spray of yellow'ish content from billion dollar corporations.

22 hours ago, WereCatf said:

As someone who is into DIY and hacking, that's MAJOR DUCKING BULLSHIT. I really, really, really, really, REALLY hope no one decides to push similar laws here in the EU. Also, this is just terrible news for anyone in Mexico. Well, anyone except the Big Corp, I guess.

I doubt anything like this would come up in the EU but I can almost guarantee you the US will point to Mexico and say "See, they're doing it so we need to do it too" in a very similar manner to how they push copyright elsewhere in the world and then claim to be good stewards they need to implement those more draconian restrictions as well.

Edited by LogicalDrm

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 hours ago, WereCatf said:

The Mexican government:

overrated.gif.4bb785c7cab61a9e4ca4920c7f2a81fd.gif

wait until you hear they turned down and actively rejected a billion dollar initiative to go solar, and the opportunity to have a tesla gigafactory installed. Uh also the president is building a train all over the most valuable enviromentaly protected virgin jugnle on the south, and guess what, they rejected the electric train opportunity, and went for diesel, MEXICO IS A DUCKING JOKE IM TIRED OF MY COUNTRY.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Censorship, so sue me

I fixed the left + right click buttons on my 10-ish year old mouse made by a company that definitely no longer offers support for it. You're telling me if I lived in Mexico I'd officially be considered an outlaw?

That's crazy...

Mexico is becoming a huge shit hole. You can't even repair the stuff you bought. WTF

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I fixed the left + right click buttons on my 10-ish year old mouse made by a company that definitely no longer offers support for it. You're telling me if I lived in Mexico I'd officially be considered an outlaw?

That's crazy...

Whoa check out El Repairo over here. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 minutes ago, OfficerHarroberi said:

Mexico is becoming a huge shit hole. You can't even repair the stuff you bought. WTF

I would tell you that im offended for you talking shit about my country but to be honest, i want to get out of the shithole myself so yeah... our situation down here is getting pretty rough... it's a great time for tourists tho, just not for locals...

Well then. How would they even know you repaired your own PC? 

You gonna call the Gov and tell them??

2 minutes ago, OfficerHarroberi said:

@Fabian Lioner United States is becoming a shit hole too. The economy is going down and we are having a huge crime wave. Not good to be in the United States.

yeah, 2020 is a magical year pls end now... Canada is surprisingly holding up compared to our countries lmao

I now really want to move somewhere in the EU because this might spread like a pandemic (along other reasons to get out of the country). What if you built the computer yourself? Then can you repair it?

iFixit must be mad. Like, really mad.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

26 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I doubt anything like this would come up in the EU but I can almost guarantee you the US will point to Mexico and say "See, they're doing it so we need to do it too" in a very similar manner to how they push copyright elsewhere in the world and then claim to be good stewards they need to implement those more draconian restrictions as well.

I do not believe this would work in the US. People are way too overzealous about freedom and if you told them it was illegal to repair their own property people would flip. 

6 minutes ago, wall03 said:

I now really want to move somewhere in the EU because this might spread like a pandemic (along other reasons to get out of the country). What if you built the computer yourself? Then can you repair it?

iFixit must be mad. Like, really mad.

I have no idea, If I can build the PC but not repair it then I may be obligated to stop supporting warranty, but my biggest fear is that I will no longer be allowed to independently build them.

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I do not believe this would work in the US. People are way too overzealous about freedom and if you told them it was illegal to repair their own property people would flip. 

They have been and are still trying to push this stuff. Look at what Apple is doing to take away right to repair.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'mma go start a tech repair mafia in Mexico, make billions, and stay on the run from the law. I'd like to see them try to get Interpol to arrest me for fixing a phone.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

6 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I'mma go start a tech repair mafia in Mexico, make billions, and stay on the run from the law. I'd like to see them try to get Interpol to arrest me for fixing a phone.

You are gonna need a good name for the people to rally behind. Perhaps The Renegades of Restoration? The Fugitive Fixers? 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

You are gonna need a good name for the people to rally behind. Perhaps The Renegades of Restoration? The Fugitive Fixers? 

It's gotta be an acronym.

Fixing the Internet of Things, Illegally... Technically

FIXIT

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

58 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It may be worth noting that, according to OP's sources, these reforms are being passed to comply with the "intellectual property" chapter of the most recent Canada-USA-México trade deal (T-MEC). The legislation being passed does not replicate existing US or Canada law, and apparently it also lacks exceptions andd safeguards present in US law when it does. It is not clear to me whether the treaty provisions require these aspects of the law or whether the Mexican parliament has been unnecessarily restrictive in this respect.

Hence, I wouldn't read it so much as México setting a bad precedent for others, but rather as (mostly foreign) lobbies testing the waters / getting away with in México what they haven't  managed to do yet elsewhere.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

As someone who is into DIY and hacking, that's MAJOR FUCKING BULLSHIT. I really, really, really, really, REALLY hope no one decides to push similar laws here in the EU. Also, this is just terrible news for anyone in Mexico. Well, anyone except the Big Corp, I guess.

Afaik in the EU they "recently" (might be a year ago) there was a law passed that parts for like your dishwasher or your oven need to be available 5 years for consumers (don't know when those 5 years start counting tho) so if you live in the EU, you are probably fine! They aren't idiots and understand that the right to repair is important.

edit: found it, it's actually 7-10 years, dayum.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_19_5889

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon