Mexico approves law against right to repair. Those who attempt to modify or repair any electornic device could face up to 6 years in prision.

That's awful

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Whoever decides to approve this, braincancer.

Just because fixing a device YOU BOUGHT will face 6 years in prison? ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR DUCKING MIND????????????

Who the duck made this decision??? Did Apple bribed them? Did Apple lobby? 6 years in prison just for fixing a device?????????? Damn, such insanity!

Edited by LogicalDrm
Censorship, so sue me

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

They have been and are still trying to push this stuff. Look at what Apple is doing to take away right to repair.

The fundamental difference is that apple makes it harder to repair their devices not illegal. People who value freedom can put up with companies do that but if you make it illegal to repair your own device then people will be livid and not stand for it in the US. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

The fundamental difference is that apple makes it harder to repair their devices not illegal. People who value freedom can put up with companies do that but if you make it illegal to repair your own device then people will be livid and not stand for it in the US. 

I'm talking about Apple's involvement in the anti-right to repair movement in the US

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

59 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It may be worth noting that, according to OP's sources, these reforms are being passed to comply with the "intellectual property" chapter of the most recent Canada-USA-México trade deal (T-MEC). The legislation being passed does not replicate existing US or Canada law, and apparently it also lacks exceptions andd safeguards present in US law when it does. It is not clear to me whether the treaty provisions require these aspects of the law or whether the Mexican parliament has been unnecessarily restrictive in this respect.

Hence, I wouldn't read it so much as México setting a bad precedent for others, but rather as (mostly foreign) lobbies testing the waters / getting away with in México what they haven't  managed to do yet elsewhere.

That's how it worked with copyright in Australia and a few other places. The industry pushed hard for more restrictive laws in those places and then complained to their congress critters that they needed to "be in line" with what other international players were doing in an attempt to get the same restrictions passed at home.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

That's how it worked with copyright in Australia and a few other places. The industry pushed hard for more restrictive laws in those places and then complained to their congress critters that they needed to "be in line" with what other international players were doing in an attempt to get the same restrictions passed at home.

There could be something similar going on here as well. I just don't know at this point if there was an intentional move against right to repair or whether it's just a case of an overzealous IP protection law with too general statements ("you cannot manipulate anything in any way") with no explicit exceptions for what should (in sane times) be excluded (i.e., explicitly protected manipulations involved in normal maintenance and repair).

It wouldn't be the first time a lawmaker takes what a lobby demands and copy-pastes it, without doing the job of balancing it against something else (I mean, the lobby would have an "equal or greater" demand as they don't care if you do more than they need, so you have to bring your own "smaller or equal" from other lobbies or common sense :P).

We'll see how this plays out once the pushback sets in in México.

21 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

edit: I have a solution, buy a boat, sail just outside of the Mexican maritime border, fix your thing and then come back in

31 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

If this law is actually enforced, I see repair happening overseas to become more prevalent. While it might be illegal to repair your device in Mexico, there's nothing saying you can send your device to another country to get repaired.

ahh. You guys have found the loopholes.

good.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

2 hours ago, nick name said:

Whoa check out El Repairo over here. 

Yes, bring to me your broken peripherals and I will fix them.

Just don't tell my government about it. :ph34r:

/s

Spoiler

But for clarification I have fixed things much more complicated than mice as well (PCs, troubleshooting networking problems like broadcast storms, servers, Windows, GNU/Linux, issues with virtualization, hobby electronics, etc) I've just used the simplicity of the repair as an exaggerated example of how dumb of a law that is.

23 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yes, bring to me your broken peripherals and I will fix them.

Just don't tell my government about it. :ph34r:

/s

Reveal hidden contents

But for clarification I have fixed things much more complicated than mice as well (PCs, troubleshooting networking problems like broadcast storms, servers, Windows, GNU/Linux, issues with virtualization, hobby electronics, etc) I've just used the simplicity of the repair as an exaggerated example of how dumb of a law that is.

And when they capture me I will escape repeatedly.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I'm going to keep shouting this at the top of my lungs for the rest of my life.

We need a way to bypass the current internet infrastructure with something that each home user sets up. Something that no one can control. Something where each computer is both a broadcast and receiving node. Basically a hardware equivalent to torrenting.

That being said, what is it going to take for the idiot politicians of the world to realize that they cannot control the internet? Unless they're willing to just completely destroy the infrastructure. The people who will find a way around your blocks are smarter, and far more numerous. End of story.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, itswillum said:

For goodness' sake, it's their own fucking device, can they not do what they want with it

nah dude didn't you get the memo? Tech is a service now

~~The Rig~~

||   CPU: Ryzen 5 1500x   ||   CPU COOLER: Stock Wraith Spire   ||   Mobo: MSI Tomahawk B350   ||   Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 (3000mHz)   ||   SSD: Inland 120gb (Bootdrive)   ||   HDD(s): Seagate 1tb/WD Green 1tb   ||   GPU: Radeon 480 (reference design)  ||   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite  ||   PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2   ||

1 hour ago, CircleTech said:

If this law is actually enforced, I see repair happening overseas to become more prevelant. While it might be illegal to repair tyour device in Mexico, there's nothign saying you can send your device to another country ot get repaired.

Border patrol:  "Hey!  COVID is rampant!  The border is clo--"

Mexican: "Can you fix my Samsung?"

Border patrol: "????????"

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Next they will make it illegal to go to the doctor's

I hope not (because thats just stupid), but this is basically what is happening for PCs and stuff here

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Obviously IANAL, but would it be possible to ship your broken device into the US in order to get it fixed here? This only applies if you're the one fixing the device right?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

i hear there is a huge wall that is prime real estate to set up a shop right next to on the border

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Maybe everyone should stop buying electronics there unzil they change this... Oh wait pople are really that united and gov takes advantage of that.

What's next, if you bandage yourself without hospital doing it you'll go to jail. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

When you replace a battery on an iphone:

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I fixit 

the new Pablo Escobar

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Breaking News 

US Americans who tried to smuggle tools for repairing electronics 

We can only imagine what these evil individuals could have done with their stuff if they weren’t caught by our brave border patrol 

l

Taco stereotypo ( imaginary Mexican police officer)

from day to day more Americans try to flood Mexico with tools for repair of electronic devices. 

The effects on Apple and other manufacturers are devastating 

Spoiler

This News is completely fake

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Please, Stop the miss information!

I'm currently living in Mexico, and it's just sad to see how everyone, including some sources like "El Universal" fell for this kind of news. (WAN show brought me here)

At the time my FFB was full of this nonsense, but I never thought this would reach so far.

This page defines way better what actually happened, and where the information got intentionally twisted to fit some people's agendas:

https://www.etcetera.com.mx/opinion/no-iras-carcel-reparar-celular/

(This is by no means any official source. Also, I found none in English, but I'm sure you can translate it if needed)

Now, Since this is something happening in Mexico, the official source for this is "El Diario Oficial de la Federación" (The Federation's Official Diary)

This is the webpage: https://www.dof.gob.mx

In particular, you could check this day: https://www.dof.gob.mx/index_111.php?year=2020&month=07&day=01

From there you could download the pdf version of it. (I'm trying to attach it as well)

I'm using google translate for this:

Sole Article.- Section I of article 426 and article 429 are amended; and a fraction III is added to article 168 bis; a fraction III to article 424 bis; sections III and IV to article 426 and articles 427 Bis, 427 Ter, 427 Quáter and 427 Quinquies to the Federal Penal Code, to read as follows:
Article 168 bis.- ...
I. Decrypt or decode telecommunications signals other than program-carrying satellite signals;
II. Transmit the ownership, use or enjoyment of devices, instruments or information that allow decoding or decoding telecommunications signals other than those of program-carrying satellites, or
III. Receive or distribute an originally encrypted program-carrying satellite signal, without authorization from the legal signal distributor.
Article 424 bis.- ...
I. ...
The same penalty shall be imposed on those who knowingly contribute or provide in any way raw materials or supplies intended for the production or reproduction of the works, phonograms, videograms or books referred to in the preceding paragraph;
II. Whoever makes for profit a device or system whose purpose is to deactivate the electronic protection devices of a computer program, or
III. Whoever records, transmits or makes a total or partial copy of a protected cinematographic work, exhibited in a movie theater or places that substitute for it, without the authorization of the owner of the copyright or related rights.
Article 426.- ...
I. To whoever manufactures, modifies, imports, distributes, sells or leases a device or system to decrypt an encrypted satellite signal, carrier of programs, without authorization from the legitimate distributor of said signal;
II. Whoever performs for profit any act with the purpose of deciphering an encrypted satellite signal, carrier of programs, without authorization from the legitimate distributor of said signal;
III. Whoever manufactures or distributes equipment intended to receive an encrypted cable signal carrying programs, without the authorization of the legitimate distributor of said signal, or
IV. Whoever receives or assists another to receive an encrypted cable signal carrying programs without the authorization of the legitimate distributor of said signal.
Article 427 Bis.- Who, knowingly and for profit, eludes without authorization any technological measure of effective protection used by phonogram producers, artists, performers, or authors of any work protected by copyright or rights related, will be punished with a prison sentence of six months to six years and a fine of five hundred to one thousand days.
Article 427 Ter.- To who, for profit, manufactures, imports, distributes, rents or in any way markets devices, products or components intended to circumvent a technological measure of effective protection used by phonogram producers, artists, performers or Performers, as well as the authors of any work protected by copyright or related law, will be imposed from six months to six years in prison and from five hundred to one thousand days fine.
Article 427 Quater.- To those who, for profit, provide or offer services to the public intended primarily to circumvent an effective technological protection measure used by phonogram producers, artists, performers, or performers, as well as the authors of any protected work. by copyright or related right, it will be imposed from six months to six years in prison and from five hundred to a thousand days fine.
Article 427 Quinquies.- Anyone who knowingly, without authorization and for profit, deletes or alters, by himself or through another, any information on rights management, will be imposed from six months to six years in prison and five hundred to one thousand days fine.
The same penalty will be imposed on who for profit:
I. Distribute or import for distribution rights management information, knowing that it has been deleted or altered without authorization, or
II. Distribute, import for distribution, transmit, communicate, or make copies of works, performances, or phonograms available to the public, knowing that information on rights management has been removed or altered without authorization.
Article 429. The crimes provided for in this Title will be prosecuted ex officio, except as provided in articles 424, section II, 424 Bis, section III and 427.

Sorry for not translating it myself, but I lack the time, interest & knowledge of legal matters.

Be aware that for all of this to make full sense you need the whole context, so you need to know what the current law was, as this is only a "delta".

You'll notice how it says nothing regarding rights to repair, PCs or cellphones, or any other electronic, for this matter.

As far as I'm aware, it means that I might not be torrenting as freely as before.

Lastly, I'm in no way, shape of form demanding that this should be corrected in the next WAN show, but IMO it'd be good to address this.

As how the information can be twisted, even reaching another countries.

I was born in the states, but still I have good feelings in general towards Mexico.

Hope some people find this interesting to read.

01072020-VES.pdf

Sounds to be like some lobbying and under-the-table bribes were given. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD