No sound fresh install Mint

Hi so my laptop isnt used often so i thought a great time to learn something new. Linux Im a glutton for punishment.

So Mint Cinnamon Edition seemed like a good idea. 2 days to work out how to check the iso SHA with only a windows machine............ but hey ho Installed worked happy went to play a you tube video no sound.............. Apparently We now have two dummies the only sound output listed and the one at the keyboard!

Ive goggle this followed a hundred threads updated and downgrade kernels stop pulse started pulse (Not mine but it was becoming a option)

Total loss its gotten to the point where i spent more time entering random strings of gibberish into the terminal than using the laptop. Im not learning anything there isnt a logical path to follow. I know theres a hundred commands to give info so post the ones you need to see.

Thanks in advance.

Why is it the only time ignore the rule i have lived by "If it aint broke dont fix it" is with pc they just scream tinker you know ya wanna.

57 minutes ago, Apemanonline said:

Total loss its gotten to the point where i spent more time entering random strings of gibberish into the terminal than using the laptop

At this point, would you be comfortable reinstalling? I recommend switching to xfce, instead of cinnamon, because it's a lot simpler.

Put it on a USB and run it as a live ISO to see if you can get audio playback. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

At this point, would you be comfortable reinstalling? I recommend switching to xfce, instead of cinnamon, because it's a lot simpler.

Put it on a USB and run it as a live ISO to see if you can get audio playback. 

yep i can do that will that fix it i thought cinnamon and xfe where like the buttons and position of buttons but the main system was the same. Im downloading now. Thanks for the reply.

Switch to mint Xfce same issue dummies sound output next idea?

4 hours ago, Apemanonline said:

Switch to mint Xfce same issue dummies sound output next idea?

Is the sound working fine from liveUSB but is not working when installed to disk?

What is your laptop make and model?

You using laptop speakers or headphones connected to audio jack/usb?

no sound at all in live or install. I thought once install run updater and drivers check but nothing.............

Huawei D15 intel I3 10110u, 8 gig ram, 512 NVME

it works on windows 10 but im trying to learn new stuff.

36 minutes ago, Apemanonline said:

Huawei D15

Seems like Huawai D series laptops use a audio codec (esXXXX) not naively supported by linux. Only place I can see active development for this chipset is the sound open firmware project. Support seems hit and miss by installing the package named "firmware-sof-signed"  - try installing it from package manager or install using terminal

sudo apt install firmware-sof-signed

(Any errors post here in full).

A work around would be to use a usb audio adaptor/headset.

Ty I give that a try

apparently I have version 2.0 lubuntu4.7 already installed.

2 minutes ago, Apemanonline said:

Ty I give that a try

A bit more digging found this

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1407124/no-sound-problem-huawei-matebook-d14-i5-kubuntu-22-problem-i-am-only-getting-d/1499532#1499532

There is this script for fixing the speaker/headphone channels from being mixed up.

https://github.com/Smoren/huawei-ubuntu-sound-fix

no luck thanks everyone ill try again next month

Apparently none of the distro support this chip...........Known issue there going to fix. So maybe by the time its to old to work or i broken it it will get done 🙂 Thanks for all your help.

On 4/27/2024 at 10:57 PM, Apemanonline said:

2 days to work out how to check the iso SHA with only a windows machine............

I'ma be real with you. Just send it. I haven't once checked the hash of a download for personal use. Only when dealing with a finicky business tool that was screwing up downloads.