[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

source.gif

I'll count the number of haters this time

actually that'd take too long considering SOME PEOPLE don't give feedback on how to improve it

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

@LukeSavenije there was some unhappiness with the fact that there are so many tier list versions on our forum, can you add a disclaimer that the 3,0 would have been updated into this anyway if lienus still maintained it? (this is a bit of a 3.5)

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@Den-Fi Hey hey, this time there was a reason to though, @LienusLateTips has informed he will not longer be available to manage the OP on the current Tier List and therefore asked someone else to take it forward on a new thread.

We have also tried to update the list and decided to keep it simple and straight forwards just for people to have a quick reference to check, as always anyone looking to purchase a brand new PSU is always advised to make their own proper individual threads for the best assistance possible from our community.

Cheers :3

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

@Den-Fi Hey hey, this time there was a reason to though, @LienusLateTips has informed he will not longer be available to manage the OP on the current Tier List and therefore asked someone else to take it forward on a new thread.

We have also tried to update the list and decided to keep it simple and straight forwards just for people to have a quick reference check, as always anyone looking to purchase a brand new PSU is always advised to make their own proper individual threads for the best assistance possible from our community.

Cheers :3

Makes sense.

Would love to see an effort made to cite where this information is sourced.

Methodology and sources are the backbone of lists like this. It would go a long way to keep this list strong and relevant as it ages.

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Would love to see an effort made to cite where this information is sourced.

I'll soon be working on that, give me a while

methodology is in the spoiler above

Is it just spam at this point ? lol

Still no sources

I don't get what's the difference between the last one other than the post is newer & higher amongst the posts in the section 

You know.. the point of revisions is to keep the last update up as long as possible, updating it as things come out / you add sources.

Just dumping the same info in another post with none of the suggested improvement brings nothing to the table

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'll soon be working on that, give me a while

methodology is in the spoiler above

It should have been a top priority as the list was published. Just as you’ve all put lots of work into this, so did your sources. I won’t dwell on it any further as I’m sure you will do it, but I hope this happens soon for the sake and credibility of this project. 

18 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

It should have been a top priority as the list was published. Just as you’ve all put lots of work into this, so did your sources. I won’t dwell on it any further as I’m sure you will do it, but I hope this happens soon for the sake and credibility of this project. 

When I brought this up internally, quite a while ago, the response was that it was too much work, and that he was busy. One of the several reasons I decided to get less involved, and eventually leave. And that has pretty much been his response to pretty much everyone for quite some time. 

:)

28 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Is it just spam at this point ? lol

Still no sources

I don't get what's the difference between the last one other than the post is newer & higher amongst the posts in the section 

You know.. the point of revisions is to keep the last update up as long as possible, updating it as things come out / you add sources.

Just dumping the same info in another post with none of the suggested improvement brings nothing to the table

As stated in the "best answer" post at the very top, the OP of the last list stepped down from keeping the list updated. This required changing hands to someone else who was willing to keep it updated.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

22 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

As stated in the "best answer" post at the very top, the OP of the last list stepped down from keeping the list updated. This required changing hands to someone else who was willing to keep it updated.

Ah.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

I haven’t ever checked one of these lists out.

What have I been missing?!

psu talk, complaints and a list of psus

that's pretty much the last years summed up in a tldr

I'd change the Tier D - Not Recommended to some different wording.  Some people may read it as "Trash, avoid them" and they'll go for some local no-name crap instead which will be even worse.

There's quite a few solid power supplies in that Tier D category, which could be considered "high end" in some regions where there's not much selection or options to buy online.

It would make more sense to have the list as an excel/google docs sheet because it would allow for some comments columns

I'd add a comment to psus that are rated for less than 40c ambient temperature ex EVGA N1 being rated 400w @ 25c or older Corsair VS rated for 30c (current models are 40c)

I'd also consider warranty - for example should be noted any psu that has less than 5 years warranty if it's in tier B... there's power supplies with 5y or more years warranty in Tier C

The list should use a better font, maybe something sans-serif, makes it more readable.

Even using source code snippets would make it more readable, here's an example :

Aerocool	Project 7
Asus		ROG Thor
BeQuiet		SFX-L
Cooler Master	V Semi-Modular, Masterwatt Maker MiJ, V-Gold 2013/2018, V-platinum 2013
Corsair		RMx, AX 2013, RM 2019, HX Gold 750w+, TXm Gold, Vengeance Silver, SF, AX 2018
Cougar		GX-F Aurum, GX-F
Enermax		RG, GX
EVGA		PS, G/P/T2
Enermax		Platimax
FSP		Aurum PT/Xilencer/Pro, Hydro G/X/PT/PTM, Dagger SFX
Gamdias		Astrape P1
Kolink		Continuum
Mistel		MX
NZXT		E
Rosewill	Capstone, Lightning, Silent Night, Photon
Sama		Armor Gold/Platinum, Forza Titanium
Seasonic	Focus GX/GM/PX, Prime, X/XP2/XP3, Snow Silent
Super Flower	Golden Green, Leadex I/II/III
Thermaltake	Toughpower Grand Gold/Platinum, iRGB Plus, DPS Gold
XFX		Pro Black Edition Limited, XTS 1000w, Pro Black FM 750w+

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

I'd change the Tier D - Not Recommended to some different wording.  Some people may read it as "Trash, avoid them" and they'll go for some local no-name crap instead which will be even worse.

any suggestions on that? the tier d's are for a reason not recommended to use, but not straight up bombs like tier e (kinda) is

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd also consider warranty - for example should be noted any psu that has less than 5 years warranty if it's in tier B... there's power supplies with 5y or more years warranty in Tier C

this would for one make things pretty complicated, as not all warranties are the same everywhere, both in policy and even duration for some locations. and to name an example: if you smoke in the living room, a psu warranty can sometimes be worthless already

the other things i can't give any comments on as of right now

19 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Let's get some server PSU's in here. Where's my Zippy's at? :D

those fsp's? i could find so little about them, maybe a couple internal shots at best