Why did the headphone jack cross the road? OnePlus says it's due to the in-display finger scanner

D13H4RD

In what could be seen as an attempt to fan the flames of anger lit by their fans in response to their controversial decision to axe the headphone jack on the OnePlus 6T, OnePlus CEO Pete Lau has come out with a statement during an interview on why they had to remove the headphone jack.

One of the reasons OnePlus cut the headphone jack was to make room for the in-screen fingerprint sensor, which the company brands as Screen Unlock. By replacing the physical sensor on the back of the phone to under the screen, the fingerprint reader takes up essential space inside, near the bottom of the phone.

It's also banking on its customers' use of Bluetooth headphones. After conducting a user survey, it found that 59 percent of respondents already used wireless headphones to listen to music and place calls. And for the first time since June 2016, sales of Bluetooth headphones overtook non-Bluetooth headphones in the US, according to analyst firm NPD.

"Consumers miss the 3.5mm jack when they're gone," said GlobalData research director Avi Greengart, "but Apple has shown that having them is not a primary purchase driver."

By releasing its own Bluetooth earbuds earlier this year called Bullets Wireless, OnePlus set the stage for shifting 6T owners over to wireless headphones. So far, things are looking good -- within minutes, Bullets Wireless sold out in some regions.

Still, Lau knows that the move will be controversial, especially since plenty of people still use wired headphones. Wired headphones give you more options to shop from, they're cheaper, they don't require a charge and they don't run into connectivity issues. Last year, a Yahoo Finance survey reported that 73 percent of Android users said they wouldn't switch to an iPhone because of its lack of a headphone port. It also didn't help that Carl Pei conducted casual Twitter polls to show how much OnePlus listened to user feedback. Most of his respondents preferred to keep the headphone jack.

To those who are upset that the OnePlus 6T won't have a jack, Lau believes the tradeoffs are worth it. "After you experience the Screen Unlock you'll fall in love with it," he said. "[You'll] realize that it's the experience that you wanted."

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/oneplus-ceo-6ts-in-screen-fingerprint-sensor-wins-over-missing-headphone-jack/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0b&linkId=57630846

In regards to the OnePlus 6T, expect a bit of additional heft but don't expect wireless charging or official water-resistance certification.

Such readers live behind the screen, so they add thickness to the phone – about 0.45mm. Another thing that makes phones thicker (not to mention the heat it generates) is wireless charging. So, no, the OnePlus 6T will not have wireless charging. Lau says that once fast wireless charging is possible without generating heat, OnePlus will reconsider. Until then users will rely on the beloved Dash charge.

Another thing that the in-display FP reader will add is cost. There’s no official quote yet, but expect an extra $20 to the bill for the 6T. Cost concerns are exactly why Lau isn’t a fan of waterproofing – he considers it unreasonable to charge all users “say, $30 more” for the few of them who will go swimming with their phone.

Source: https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_ceo_talks_about_how_the_indisplay_fp_reader_led_to_the_removal_of_the_jack-news-33559.php

D13H4RD's opinion

Honestly, I call bullcrap. The earlier phones which incorporated these under-display fingerprint sensors had headphone jacks and didn't seem to have issues. Engineering is about overcoming challenges in order to meet the needs of whoever is going to use that product. Ever since OnePlus conducted that poll, it's clear that a significant portion of their customer base still uses the headphone jack. So it's still baffling in how instead of trying to engineer their way around that Oppo shell in order to get that jack inside, they instead decided to just "Screw it" and use it.

It's good then that the battery capacity is rumored to be around 3700mAh. Because according to Android Police managing editor David Ruddock, the Vivo V11 that he currently uses (which has a similar generation display sensor to the 6T), it still performs below par compared to traditional sensors, being significantly slower and significantly less accurate and being more prone to misfires. If those end up being the case, then no, it's not worth losing the headphone jack.

Nothing is worth losing the jack for, at least for now. Not when Samsung crammed a 4000mAh battery in a phone that also has to account for a silo that fits a stylus (which takes up significant space) while keeping the headphone jack.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Headphone jacks are more of a "want" than a "need".

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

For me, it's a need.

I don't want to invest in wireless headphones or a dongle just to "adapt" when my wired headphones work perfectly well. I run basically all my tech into the ground before upgrading/replacing, this is basically just the same thing.

I also can't currently afford wireless headphones even if I did need them.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

What about the top of the phone

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

To be fair, the same can be said about the whole phone

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Enderman said:

Here's the problem.

On an iPhone, removing the jack is more-or-less an inconvenience. That's due to the Lightning port. It's proprietary, but it also means that accessories you get will most likely work with them, and certified accessories are easy to get and look out for.

On Android, it's more or less a mega mess. That's down to USB-IF's refusal to encorce USB-C specifications. As a result, you end up with dongles that work with one phone but not the other, or ones that offer limited functionality. The really sad part is that there's no real way of knowing whether or not it'll work until you try.

Bluetooth exists, yeah (I own a 1000XM2), but I still am not convinced it's in that state where it's fully poised to take over. Because as good as my 1000XM2s are, they still suffer from the typical weaknesses of wireless, chief among which is interference which causes a lot of skipping and weird anomalies.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I just don't care. If a phone doesn't have a headphone jack, I just won't buy it. Not gonna be mad over a company not pandering to me.
I'd really love to see a company replace the headphone jack with usb c port though. I would possibly buy that.

5 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I totally agree with you ^^ If it means that phones become easier to waterproof and more exciting technology can be added, I don't mind at all

galaxy-note9_overview_kv_type1_l.png.215b7b81adbc17039440403abbc885f9.png

If this phone can fit a 4000mAh battery, a headphone jack and a stylus that has BT LE support all while maintaining IP68 certification without exploding, then I fail to see why others can't.

Android OEMs, you're not Apple. Stop messing about with the USB-C standard and actually work towards something that can properly replace the jack.

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

interference

Another reason I prefer to keep everything wired.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

why did no one notice SOUND QUALITY of wireless headphones is much WORSE than wired headphones

When you're comparing against the included $5 earbuds, this suddenly ceases to be confusing

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

image.png.f53a207a31e70063df57f80ae3a084fd.png

It's been a few weeks since we heard of that. Since then, nothing.

Furthermore, that one was really fishy. There were no photos or any kind of visual evidence to indicate such. When a Galaxy S7 exploded shortly after or the S9+ that went up in flames before, at least there were video and photo evidence, so you couldn't dispute.

But in this case, there was nothing but a statement. If there was something wrong with the Note9, we'd have heard much more about it by now, but it's been 3 weeks since and nothing new has come up.

You can't stop the copy cat train!

IMG_5206.JPG.216650ece9ce56cdd3893c690080679c.JPG

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

You can't stop the copy cat train!

Isn't that the sad truth... almost every Android phone maker seems hellbent on copying the things that Apple gets away with rather than the things that let them get away with it.

1 minute ago, OnyxArmos said:

Huh..?

image.png.39d19d591bb06ed490e88a0b7543e6ab.png

Irrelevant for Android folks, because USB-C is a royal mess.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To be fair, the same can be said about the whole phone

Not really, it is pretty close to a basic necessity in the modern world, at least in developed countries.

I got by just using a laptop for many years but eventually I had to get a phone to be able to do my job.

A headphone jack is a "want" because the same task can be accomplished with USB-C or bluetooth, so no functionality is lost.

Eventually the power connector will probably also become a want rather than a need, but at the moment wireless charging is not as widespread or on par with performance.

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Here's the problem.

On an iPhone, removing the jack is more-or-less an inconvenience. That's due to the Lightning port. It's proprietary, but it also means that accessories you get will most likely work with them, and certified accessories are easy to get and look out for.

On Android, it's more or less a mega mess. That's down to USB-IF's refusal to encorce USB-C specifications. As a result, you end up with dongles that work with one phone but not the other, or ones that offer limited functionality. The really sad part is that there's no real way of knowing whether or not it'll work until you try.

Bluetooth exists, yeah (I own a 1000XM2), but I still am not convinced it's in that state where it's fully poised to take over. Because as good as my 1000XM2s are, they still suffer from the typical weaknesses of wireless, chief among which is interference which causes a lot of skipping and weird anomalies.

You can buy USB C headphones that work with any android device.

You can buy USB C to 3.5mm adapters that work on any android device (just do some research first, aka a google search)

You can buy bluetooth devices that work on any android device.

There will always be some crappy adapters that won't work, some crappy USB cables that won't work, etc etc etc.

That is a problem with the people making the accessory, not the phone.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

And I want a headphone jack more than an underscreen Fingerprint reader

Cool.

You're in the minority.

Good thing there are still phones that have headphone jacks, so buy one while you still can.

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I'm kinda happy we're moving towards getting rid of the headphone jack

no, just no. I hate wireless and dongo adapter. 

7 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Ssnip

Wow I can do that too!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thestate.com/news/local/article215974135.html

Also seriously. The thinnest phone ever produced still managed to fit a headphone jack. This argument is stupid and ass-backwards.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Is LG only one left who cares about headphone jack?

Samsung too....for now

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

I've gotta say that I agree with Enderman on this, fingerprint snanners on the front of the screen are amazing compared to stretching your finger up at the back

Even if the fingerprint reader didn't need to replace the headphone jack, most people are fine with using USB C or lightning or bluetooth instead of 3.5mm.

3.5mm is basically getting phased out of the phone market, so why try to hold on when eventually you'll get forced off.

Might as well get a decent pair of USB C earphones now and not have to complain as much :)

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can buy USB C headphones that work with any android device.

You can buy USB C to 3.5mm adapters that work on any android device (just do some research first, aka a google search)

Link a couple

Because I'm sick and tired of even needing to search for crap that should work out of the box without issues.

This was why I dislike the removal of the headphone jack without something to properly replace it.

If you don't have the universal plug-and-play trait of the jack, then dump it in the dumpster fire, where it belongs.

Everyone should just supply the Google dongle. At least that one works.

1 minute ago, OnyxArmos said:

All my friends have iPhones and none of them seem to complain about the headphone jack being missing, so I think it's a bit of a non-issue really - I do really wonder if there are any actual advantages to removing the headphone jack though for the future

Main advantage is making the phone easier to design and manufacture without having another internal component interfacing with the exterior through a machined opening, in addition to aligning, waterproofing, and reinforcing the port.

Also running extra audio traces to the port, additional circuit components, protection, etc.

Basically makes engineering the phone less of a pain. Not by much, it's still got a ton of complexity, but removing small non-vital components is always a goal.

Spoiler