Why did the headphone jack cross the road? OnePlus says it's due to the in-display finger scanner

D13H4RD

The only audiophile I need to know is a certain Juan Bagnell

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The only audiophile I need to know is a certain Juan Bagnell

Only one I need to know is me.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, avg123 said:

Here is a review of Bluetooth audio transmission by an actual audiophile. Its a long video but worth it.

Never listen to that dude, he is a joke in the more serious audio community. He gets so much wrong and he has proven so many times that he can't hear that well. 

For more back on topic, I dislike this move by them for multiple reasons.

1. They remove options, I always think it is a bad idea to remove options, especially when the thing that is being removed is very useful and surperior to the "replacement". To add to that the selection of wired headphones or IEMs is much bigger than the wireless selection.

2. BT still sounds bad compared to wired offerings for the same amount of money. I have not tried a single BT based headphone or headset or IEM that I haven't been able to tell it was BT.

I know that a missing headphone jack will stop me from buying a phone, because I don't want to limit myself and I have high end CIEMs that I use with my phone from time to time and good wired headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 hours ago, avg123 said:

Here is a review of Bluetooth audio transmission by an actual audiophile. Its a long video but worth it.

What makes someone an "actual" audiophile?  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

What makes someone an "actual" audiophile?

when you start buying 10mt, 1000$, sound improving cables paired with gems like this

https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/696-magico-mpod-support-system 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

when you start buying 10mt, 1000$, sound improving cables paired with gems like this

https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/696-magico-mpod-support-system 

don't confuse gullible with someone who loves sound.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So as it turns out, as usual, OnePlus' excuse ("the fingerprint scanner takes up too much room!") is complete shit. Here's why:

You see that ribbon cable in the thumbnail? That's it. That's the in-screen fingerprint scanner. Doesn't take up any room. (I might as well also add that the phone being torn down in this video, a Vivo X20 Plus, has a headphone jack... because the FS doesn't take up any room.)

They removed it because the Oppo R17 Pro doesn't have it. They ofc don't want people to know they're owned by a huge company (which is... already known) and keep up the "small indie company" facade so of course they'd make up a different reason. So, yeah, there goes the "I don't mind a lack of a headphone jack if it means that the phone can have an in-screen fingerprint scanner!" argument.

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

You see that ribbon cable in the thumbnail? That's it. That's the in-screen fingerprint scanner. Doesn't take up any room. (I might as well also add that the phone being torn down in this video, a Vivo X20 Plus, has a headphone jack... because the FS doesn't take up any room.)

They removed it because the Oppo R17 Pro doesn't have it. They ofc don't want people to know they're owned by a huge company (which is... already known) and keep up the "small indie company" facade so of course they'd make up a different reason. So, yeah, there goes the "I don't mind a lack of a headphone jack if it means that the phone can have an in-screen fingerprint scanner!" argument.

Nice find, OnePlus has really turned from a brand that consumers universally loved to one that is certainly not universally loved anymore.

It honestly probably just has to do with them wanting to save money and push their own earphones like the OnePlus Bullets. Whatever the reason, I really don't like it when companies explicitly mislead their consumers.

I'd prefer just an annoying excuse than a false excuse.

49 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I'd prefer just an annoying excuse than a false excuse.

I think I'd rather have them say some random BS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I think I'd rather have them say some random BS

Remember when the OnePlus 2 killed 2016 flagship phones?

IMO, I still prefer wireless earphones/earbuds when Im outside compare to wired headphones especially with noise canceling which I don't think any wired headphone have.

Magical Pineapples

37 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Remember when the OnePlus 2 killed 2016 flagship phones?

Yeah, I’d rather have that.

At least it was LOL-worthy 

14 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Yeah, I’d rather have that.

At least it was LOL-worthy 

It was funny, if not a bold statement. Lying to justify removing a feature isn't.

16 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

It was funny, if not a bold statement. Lying to justify removing a feature isn't.

Image result for iphone xs max

Like this wallpaper, this is so some shady stuff.

It had me fooled initially, still there is much wrong with this

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Image result for iphone xs max

Like this wallpaper, this is so some shady stuff.

It had me fooled initially, still there is much wrong with this

Remember when Apple was adamant about not hiding the notch?

4 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I love iPhones I don't mind there being a notch and no headphone jack

Lack of a headphone jack on Apple is because Apple has economic reasons for doing so (pushing AirPods and wireless Beats headsets). Lack of a headphone jack on Android is because it's trendy™.

I understand why Apple did it, so they could take a page out of the game industry's playbook and sell back features you once had standard, but it's still a shitty, anti-consumer thing to do and Android OEMs have no reason to follow. You're removing functionality so you can make more money at the expense of your customers.

2 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I mean it is a business of course it's going to look for ways to make more money? Why is it not okay for iPhone to remove the headphone jack but it's seemingly okay for companies like Sony to not allow cross play of games between Playstation and Switch/Xbox

Oh, it's not okay for Sony to not allow cross-play with Nintendo and Microsoft, don't get me wrong. If it doesn't benefit the consumer then it's not okay.

1 minute ago, OnyxArmos said:

I mean, it's not like the consumer has to buy a phone that doesn't have a headphone jack...

True. I mean, my boyfriend and I are looking at replacing our current phones with new ones with gasp! headphone jacks.

1 minute ago, OnyxArmos said:

Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, it comes with a free fireworks display ?

Funny you mention that, I've been eyeing the Galaxy S9.

The reason I brought up that iPhone XS wallpaper is because it's an example of Apple misleading their consumers but also it makes me think that they are closer to a 'notch-less' or a nearly unnoticeable notch display than we think. This is clearly what they want have envisioned for the iPhone but the tech isn't there yet.

My plan is to hold on to my iPhone 7 for as long as possible, then buy a new iPhone when the notch is improved and features like Touch ID return.

The Galaxy S9 from a hardware perspective is great, but I don't like their skin of Android, all the bloatware, slow updates etc.

I wish I could have the hardware of Samsung, with the operating system of the Pixel and the constant support of Apple.

I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller

But I only wish...

Image result for i wish skee lo

22 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, it comes with a free fireworks display ?

The Note9 doesn't have a systematic fault that causes it to self combust unlike the Note7.

11 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

My plan is to hold on to my iPhone 7 for as long as possible, then buy a new iPhone when the notch is improved and features like Touch ID return.

TouchID likely won't be returning.

It's more likely that Apple will improve FaceID to the point where it's as fast as TouchID

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The Note9 doesn't have a systematic fault that causes it to self combust unlike the Note7.

TouchID likely won't be returning.

It's more likely that Apple will improve FaceID to the point where it's as fast as TouchID

I hope that it returns, maybe that they won't push the technology but have it as an option.

Is FaceID being used to verify application security measures? For instance, in LastPass I use TouchID to view my passwords, is FaceID secure enough for that same functionality?

Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

Is FaceID being used to verify application security measures? For instance, in LastPass I use TouchID to view my passwords, is FaceID secure enough for that same functionality?

It should since it's pretty much a replacement for TouchID at this point and Apple should already have the APIs since the iPhone X

6 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It should since it's pretty much a replacement for TouchID at this point and Apple should already have the APIs since the iPhone X

Yeah fair enough, I try and embrace change, but TouchID was about as good as it gets, I remember MKBHD summarised, he said something like 'it's convenient, it's fast and it's secure'.

FaceID could get to that stage but it's not there yet.

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

FaceID could get to that stage but it's not there yet.

It's the speed that they have to tackle.

It's a lot slower than TouchID