Starwars Jedi Survivor on PC or Series X

ARandomPerson

Star Wars Jedi Survivor was just made available on Game Pass, and I want to play it. The problem is that, from what I've seen, the PC port of the game sucks. My question is, how much worse is it on PC compared to the Xbox Series X? Is it playable at all?

PC Resolution: 1440p

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600X

GPU: RX 6700XT with a slight OC

RAM: 2x8 DDR5 at 4800Mhz 

SSD: 1TB Samsung 980 pro

Yes it is playable (I don't know on XBOX, since I don't own one)

Your PC rig will play Star Wars Jedi Survivor smoothly, since it's CPU intensive game instead of GPU

For "soul like" game, that use melee parry and dodge, I would prefer PC since it's easier to control via Keyboard and mouse

Remember, May The Force be with you and keep practice on parrying

Edited by ImWilly

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

The Series X graphics are roughly equivalent to a 6600XT, so a bit of a jump but not massive. I will say, having played a few games on my Series X that I've also played on my desktop, the amount of optimization in console releases can be really good.

You're comparing both, do you have GamePass Ultimate? You could always try both if your internet connection is decently quick.  It looks like it needs 130GB of space.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

3 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

Your rig will play Star Wars Jedi Survivor smoothly, since it's CPU intensive game instead of GPU

no PC runs it smoothly

30 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

Your PC rig will play Star Wars Jedi Survivor smoothly, since it's CPU intensive game instead of GPU

It stutters and hangs on 13900K and RTX 4090.

Plus the runaway RAM problem is still persistent - it takes 30 min to allocate all of 7900XT 20GB I am using, a few more to actually fill it and start to hitch even more than normal.

Given all the above I am actually in similar position to the OP, but with PS5 in mind. But that would force me to use 30FPS because screenspace reflections in this game are just atrocious and raytracing is fixing that problem.

1 hour ago, MarkPol88 said:

It stutters and hangs on 13900K and RTX 4090.

Plus the runaway RAM problem is still persistent - it takes 30 min to allocate all of 7900XT 20GB I am using, a few more to actually fill it and start to hitch even more than normal.

Given all the above I am actually in similar position to the OP, but with PS5 in mind. But that would force me to use 30FPS because screenspace reflections in this game are just atrocious and raytracing is fixing that problem.

Wow, I must be really lucky then

I'm using 7800X3D and 7900XT, yes the "Optimizing Game file" is annoying for every time booting up the game, but I don't have stuttering issue nor crash while playing, and the lowest dip never goes below 100FPS (mileage may vary cause of setup PC)

I played last January, I know that it was bad 2023, but it must have improved a lot in 2024

I never use RT though, cause the latency is noticeable compared to turning it off

I have no reference for PS5 version though, but thanks for sharing the insight experience

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

1 hour ago, ImWilly said:

I'm using 7800X3D and 7900XT

I have Ryzen 5600 - but I am playing 4K with RT so it sits lazy in the background.

I wonder if the main difference between us is not newer/faster processor but that 3D cache.

I am currently hunting 5800X3D or 5700X3D if price might be right, as I do not want to change whole platform yet.

2 hours ago, ImWilly said:

yes the "Optimizing Game file" is annoying for every time booting up the game

And i forgot earlier:

the fact that it is doing it each time we launch it means it is not working at all - it should pre-cache assets and shaders and store it on drive. Doing it constantly just means it is not stored and cannot be accessed, hence stuttering every time you get to new area, but less if you are there second time.

I think Digital Foundry got a video on this very topic regarding Jedi Survivor.

1 hour ago, MarkPol88 said:

I am currently hunting 5800X3D or 5700X3D if price might be right, as I do not want to change whole platform yet.

It's possible (but it's still a guessing game for me), although developer shouldn't focus on optimizing 3D cache and ignore the mass other users.

I tried to find gaming comparison, but there's not a lot of YT comparison for Star Wars game, especially in 4K, but I found one with 1080p resolution paired with 3060TI. (reference below)

It seems that although there's some improvement on the average FPS, the 1% low is difference is massive.

I think maybe wait till next game patch notes or huge sale on X3D CPU.

IMO, since this game focus on parrying and dodge mechanic (especially in Jedi Master or Grand Master difficulty), it would be better to prioritize in higher FPS settings rather than heavy graphical settings, especially RT 

(Sorry for the hot take)

image.thumb.png.c86e588641bbbe8ef35681683b0df3f0.png

Phone:

2 hours ago, ImWilly said:

it would be better to prioritize in higher FPS settings rather than heavy graphical settings, especially RT 

(Sorry for the hot take)

Not hot at all, as I said before - if not for very bad implementation of screenspace reflections I would happily turn it off too. Right now with everything at EPIC and RT ON in 4K plus FSR to quality I get stable 60-80 FPS. BUT sometimes it just dips to 25-40 region without apparent reason, and it happens when I lower settings too.

Back to OP's question - I think that all things considered console is now better option for Jedi Survivor overall but if you do not mind hitch up here and there the PC is not "unplayable".

And more and more people agree, that January patch was probably last that we will get.

Thank you for all the help. I am going to test the game on PC. I will update on the performance as soon as possible. Thank you all for your time.

Update: The game runs well on my PC (aside from Rtx, but that is to be expected). The stuttering was almost nonexistent in the tutorial area. After that, the stuttering happens with dips into the low fifties and high forties. I tracked my fps with the Xbox Gamebar (Win+G), which is pretty reliable. I played with FSR on balanced, but FPS drops to the fifties with it off. What bugs me is how the worst of the drops happens when you leave Coruscant which, by the time that happens, you have spent over the 2-hour max refund time if you bought the game on Steam (I got it via Xbox Gamepass Ultimate, but still miffs me). Great gameplay, just inconsistent frame times.