Why did the headphone jack cross the road? OnePlus says it's due to the in-display finger scanner

D13H4RD
7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Link a couple

Because I'm sick and tired of even needing to search for crap that should work out of the box without issues.

This was why I dislike the removal of the headphone jack without something to properly replace it.

If you don't have the universal plug-and-play trait of the jack, then dump it in the dumpster fire, where it belongs.

Everyone should just supply the Google dongle. At least that one works.

The one from essential, from google, and pretty much any other active one.

https://www.androidcentral.com/there-single-usb-c-headphone-adapter-works-all-phones

Just don't get a passive adapter.

That's where the problem is.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I've gotta say that I agree with Enderman on this, fingerprint snanners on the front of the screen are amazing compared to stretching your finger up at the back

They never should have been placed there to begin with, that's a separate issue, and I don't see how this has anything to do with the headphone jack honestly.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

All my friends have iPhones and none of them seem to complain about the headphone jack being missing, so I think it's a bit of a non-issue really

No one complaining because they paid 1000 for a device. they are just lying to them self 

thieves after killing a dude to steal his $2k phone

doom-scanner.png

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

15 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

All my friends have iPhones and none of them seem to complain about the headphone jack being missing, so I think it's a bit of a non-issue really - I do really wonder if there are any actual advantages to removing the headphone jack though for the future

I would complain though because i am anti-dongle adapter for 3.5mm headphones. 

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

https://www.androidcentral.com/there-single-usb-c-headphone-adapter-works-all-phones

That’s sadly not good enough

Every dongle needs to be active 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's like researching for a fucking DisplayPort adapter.

We've crossed bridges, and frankly, I think we crossed the wrong one.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Personally I'd prefer that they didn't remove it, but I completely understand why they do and I can't really blame them for it.  Potential to sell a dongle on top of the phone, or better yet a brand new pair of headphones?  Yes please.  Why would the company turn down that opportunity?  Plus, time and again it's been made clear that the majority of consumers are totally down with less functionality at a higher price, so again, may as well capitalize on it.  Will some of us be upset?  Sure, but it's probably not enough for them to care, especially if and when every company goes this way leading to it not being a choice anymore.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Look, call me old and senile, but the reason I'm frustrated by all of this is not because of what they did. It's because of what they didn't.

While my cynical side took over when Apple announced the removal of the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 line, the other side of me held out hope that we would get at least some sort of advancement on the headphones side, particularly the drive for USB DACs that are compact yet powerful enough to drive great headphones like the Sennheiser HD5xx/6xx series alongside major advancements on the wireless side that allows for proper playback of high-resolution audio files while also mitigating the issue with interference and such.

It was indeed an opportunity to actually bring forth a lot of new ideas and innovations. Sadly, that never happened. Only these;

• Only a few new wireless headphones, and many of them fell under the radar if you aren't the AirPods, 1000X line and QC35/PXC-550.
  • Lack of a proper enforcement of USB-C specs, which disallows the use of analog transfer to maintain spec, resulting in a lot of analog dongles which don't play well with a lot of USB-C devices.
  • Bluetooth 5.0 being out for a while and while not revolutionary, brought some nice changes to audio. However, Sony's newly launched 1000XM3, while now supporting USB-C (for charging), uses BT 4.2 still, which while functional, was a missed opportunity, likely due to backwards compatibility reasons. 
  • Heaps of phones with no headphone jacks but no justification points for their removal.

I'm honestly saddened by all of this. Where was the drive to innovate and solve problems?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's like researching for a fucking DisplayPort adapter.

We've crossed bridges, and frankly, I think we crossed the wrong one.

^^

15 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

That’s sadly not good enough

Every dongle needs to be active 

Did you know that display adapters can be both active or passive??

WOW!

Now you can avoid making the incorrect purchasing decision with this new information that was so difficult to achieve!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Did you know that display adapters can be both active or passive??

WOW!

Now you can avoid making the incorrect purchasing decision with the new information that was so difficult to achieve!

About that...

43 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Everyone should just supply the Google dongle. At least that one works.

I knew about that all along. Problem is that do people know? Not everyone is like us who can spend a few minutes doing research for a $9 dongle. 

55 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

What's up with USB-C?

Oh, I dunno, just... this.

LibraTone.jpg

Fucking this. Never a problem with the headphone jack but absolutely a huge problem with USB-C. You never can be 100% sure what works with what, even if it fits (e.g. HTC dongles and headphones only work on HTC phones despite being USB-C, and HTC phones will only accept HTC dongles and headphones).

USB-C was meant to be a universal standard but it's now a fractured mess. So long as this remains a thing it can never properly replace the headphone jack. Don't tell me that things with USB-C are "fine" when they clearly aren't.

I don't know how many times I have to spell this out.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, I'd prefer in-screen fingerprint scanner over headphone jack. As long as I have an adaptor. So if what OnePlus are saying is true, I'm fine with it.

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, I'd prefer in-screen fingerprint scanner over headphone jack. As long as I have an adaptor. So if what OnePlus are saying is true, I'm fine with it.

That really depends on how good the sensor is.

If it performs good (better than the frankly assed implementation on its sister phone) and if they use a digital dongle, then it’s not too painful 

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

About that...

I knew about that all along. Problem is that do people know? Not everyone is like us who can spend a few minutes doing research for a $9 dongle. 

The world is not perfect.

Plenty of people plug in a 4 pole headphone into a 3 pole jack on a pc and wonder why it doesn't work.

Or people buy an 8700k and wonder why it doesn't work in their z97 motherboard.

Or people buy a cheap chinese usb cable and it doesn't work properly.

Point is there will always be some way things can go wrong if someone doesn't know how to use google first.

This should not be a reason to completely stagnate all technological progress in order to reduce variables that can go wrong.

Imagine if everyone was stuck with using VGA for everything because "oh maybe grandma will buy an hdmi monitor and it wont work with her pc"

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Imagine if everyone was stuck with using VGA for everything because "oh maybe grandma will buy an hdmi monitor and it wont work with her pc"

Maybe I'm alone in this thought but I think there's a difference between confusing an HDMI cable for a VGA cable and a product listing plainly not describing whether or not it's passive or active conversion.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

This should not be a reason to completely stagnate all technological progress in order to reduce variables that can go wrong.

Except that's not what I was going at. 

I wasn't saying we should keep headphone jacks forever. I was saying that we should actually be putting some effort into making a good replacement for the headphone jack. 

The headphone jack will eventually die off. That's the reality. The problem is that nothing is worthy as of now of replacing it. 

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

That really depends on how good the sensor is.

If it performs good (better than the frankly assed implementation on its sister phone) and if they use a digital dongle, then it’s not too painful 

I'm running the iPhone 7 at the moment (which explains why I'm used to the lack of audio jack) The fingerprint sensor is about as good as it gets on this phone. Accurate, fast and moderately secure.

But you're 100% right, if it's a half baked sensor, then it's not a worth while trade.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The world is not perfect.

Plenty of people plug in a 4 pole headphone into a 3 pole jack on a pc and wonder why it doesn't work.

Or people buy an 8700k and wonder why it doesn't work in their z97 motherboard.

Or people buy a cheap chinese usb cable and it doesn't work properly.

Point is there will always be some way things can go wrong if someone doesn't know how to use google first.

The problem is those things rely on universal standards. USB-C is a proprietary, fractured mess masquerading as a universal standard. Also, if you're confusing VGA and HDMI then there's more problems than just the standard being used (see: PEBCAK).

Besides, what's so wrong with the headphone jack? Is it because it's old and new things are automatically better? Please. We've had to replace a 2 year old air conditioner this year because the fan died and it's out of warranty... meanwhile another air conditioner, one we've had since I was days old still works just as good as it did all the way back in 1993! Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better.

Especially not when the new thing has problems that weren't ever an issue with the thing it's trying to replace.

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I'm running the iPhone 7 at the moment (which explains why I'm used to the lack of audio jack) The fingerprint sensor is about as good as it gets on this phone. Accurate, fast and moderately secure.

But you're 100% right, if it's a half baked sensor, then it's not a worth while trade.

Tbh though, only Apple somehow managed to pull it off (no jack). 

The reason is that at least most Lightning accessories are guaranteed to work. Why most? Those cheap ones at the dollar store can be flaky 

Doesn't matter if there is or isn't a headphone jack on the phone. 

The only thing you need to worry about is whether the adapter they provide is up to par. Like the HTC u11. 

Many phones have headphone jacks but the audio is still shit. No power, can't drive headphones and no clarity. 

Only HTC, LG and some chinese brands are doing it right. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

12 minutes ago, Suika said:

Maybe I'm alone in this thought but I think there's a difference between confusing an HDMI cable for a VGA cable and a product listing plainly not describing whether or not it's passive or active conversion.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find some chinese seller that sells a "display cable" without saying whether it is HDMI or VGA.

And yes there are plenty of other examples like active vs passive display adapters, active vs passive USB cables, etc etc etc.

Again, the problem is not the phone, it is the accessory manufacturer/reseller.

12 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Except that's not what I was going at. 

I wasn't saying we should keep headphone jacks forever. I was saying that we should actually be putting some effort into making a good replacement for the headphone jack. 

The headphone jack will eventually die off. That's the reality. The problem is that nothing is worthy as of now of replacing it. 

The replacement is USB C.

It can do everything the headphone jack can along with millions of other things, thanks to digital communication protocols.

9 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

The problem is those things rely on universal standards. USB-C is a proprietary, fractured mess masquerading as a universal standard. Also, if you're confusing VGA and HDMI then there's more problems than just the standard being used (see: PEBCAK).

Besides, what's so wrong with the headphone jack? Is it because it's old and new things are automatically better? Please. We've had to replace a 2 year old air conditioner this year because the fan died and it's out of warranty... meanwhile another air conditioner, one we've had since I was days old still works just as good as it did all the way back in 1993! Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better.

Especially not when the new thing has problems that weren't ever an issue with the thing it's trying to replace.

See this post 

Guess why your computer no longer has a printer port, a serial port, and a game port?

Oh that's right, they all got replaced by USB A to reduce space and complexity.

There also were people like you, who hated USB A and wanted to stick to the well known parallel port because "well my printer port works just fine, screw new technology!" "it is too complicated!"

PS- I'm sure your 20 year old air conditioner is also just as efficient as two year old technology :) totally

Spoiler

Just now, Pohernori said:

Doesn't matter if there is or isn't a headphone jack on the phone. 

The only thing you need to worry about is whether the adapter they provide is up to par. Like the HTC u11. 

Many phones have headphone jacks but the audio is still shit. No power, can't drive headphones and no clarity. 

Only HTC, LG and some chinese brands are doing it right. 

The quality and compatibility should be good. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a dongle that accepts a digital signal and has a good DAC and amp combo. 

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The quality and compatibility should be good. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a dongle that accepts a digital signal and has a good DAC and amp combo. 

Sadly I've only seen htc include a decent one

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case