Monitor upgrade?

SuperFlower

What is the best upgrade for my lg 27gl850? Is it worth going for something better or just wait until oled becomes mainstream? 

I found a good deal on a 27gp850 which is 1440p165hz (oc 180hz) but looks to be the same panel as my 27gl850. 

7 minutes ago, SuperFlower said:

What is the best upgrade for my lg 27gl850? Is it worth going for something better or just wait until oled becomes mainstream? 

I found a good deal on a 27gp850 which is 1440p165hz (oc 180hz) but looks to be the same panel as my 27gl850. 

It's still use the same 27 inch IPS panel, and it probably won't have change on the colour profile, so I would just wait till OLED become a mainstream comodity

Refresh rate upgrade from 144 to 165 or even 180 won't be significant/game changer

So, I would suggest to stick with your current monitor till then

P.S.

If you still wanna higher than 144Hz display without purchasing new monitor, you can overclock your current panel for a bit higher refresh rate using either NVIDIA or Radeon app

Although your mileage may vary, you might get something around 1-5% refresh rate boost

For my case, my Chinese brand monitor with 144Hz got overclock to 150Hz (around 3% boost, so not bad)

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Chances are for mere 5-10 Hz more (if the panel can even do it, some don't OC at all), you lose the Freesync VRR, so not worth it for gaming...

Either wait for OLED to get cheaper, or alternatively (more of a side-grade) get the AOC Q27G3XMN. It's a tad slower in terms of pixel response times, but if that's not an issue for the games you play, you get decent HDR in return. Something the LG lacks entirely.

The 27GL850-B is still a good midrange monitor, even by today's standards. The newer models are slightly faster, but not significantly so. In terms of color performance, it's still similar, just with a lower MSRP these days. So to upgrade, you're looking at either HDR, higher resolution, or higher refresh rate. Going with an OLED will be the most noticeable upgrade, but you will have to pay a hefty premium for these monitors.

That said, 1440p OLED monitors have already come down in price significantly. They started out at around $1000, but the LG 27GR95QE-B has been discounted to $600-650 from time to time. If I recall correctly, that's the same price the 27GL850-B originally sold for.

Case in point:

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Thanks @Stahlmann

So it would be a stupid decision to just go from 27gl850 to 27gp850? 

In the end I might wait until oled becomes mainstream.

3 hours ago, SuperFlower said:

Thanks @Stahlmann

So it would be a stupid decision to just go from 27gl850 to 27gp850? 

In the end I might wait until oled becomes mainstream.

Yeah the GL and GP are basically the same monitor. The GP model also supports HDR, but doesn't do a good job at actually displaying HDR content as it lacks proper hardware for that. It also has slightly faster pixel response times and a few more Hertz, but nothing about it is significantly better than the GL.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I'd digress heavily on the $273 AOC with the (somewhat said to be) HDR capability, in fact, outside of its cookie cutter HDR... it might even be a WORSE monitor and a DOWNGRADE over your current LG...

HDR is ass in most games still anyway, you want OLED, not HDR... that's NOT an upgrade.

Either keep your current monitor, or with the price cuts, jump straight to the MSI 34 QD-OLED bandwagon.