I have 16GB RAM (8+8). Should i get another 8+8 or 16+16? (32GB VS 48GB)

Hello folks,

I have 16GB RAM (8+8) G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16 

I need a little more ram. I think a total of 32GB will be enough for my simple 4k video editing.

So, I can buy this same kit for 50€, since I  have 2 free slots on my pro z690-a.

This way I'd have all 4 SLOTS with the same ram and I'd fulfill all the basic recommendations.

However... I always like to try and get the best option for the best price. 

For more 25€, I can buy instead 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz CL16

In this case, it would be 8+8 and 16+16.

32GB VS 48GB

Wouldn't this be a better buy?

I don't want to spend more than 75€, and I also don't want to waste the RAM I have.

I don't mind giving an extra 25 euros and being better prepared for the future.

I could sell my current RAM, but my local market is full of used offers. It would be time almost wasted. (and I don't trust buying used ram either...)

As a general rule of thumb, two sticks is better than four, since it's easier to get stable to run with XMP/overclocking.

32 vs 48 – It really depends on whether RAM is still the limiting factor with 32. More RAM means Windows will be able to keep more stuff cached, will which generally speed things up, but at some point we are talking diminishing returns.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

As a general rule of thumb, two sticks is better than four, since it's easier to get stable to run with XMP/overclocking.

Thank you. But i really need a little bit more of ram, so I can do more tasks at the same time, while using video editors. My questions is using all same sticks or 2 sticks + 2 different sticks.

I know that the rules in the books will always recommend 4 equal sticks, but real life and practice can dictate different results

5 hours ago, Prehistoric said:

Thank you. But i really need a little bit more of ram, so I can do more tasks at the same time, while using video editors. My questions is using all same sticks or 2 sticks + 2 different sticks. I know that the rules in the books will always recommend 4 equal sticks, but real life and practice can dictate different results

In many cases mixing RAM will work fine, especially at lower speeds and with more mature tech like DDR4. But there is no guarantee. There is always a slight chance the system might refuse to boot or might no longer want to run at full XMP speed (e.g. 3200 MT/s) and fall back to 2666 MT/s instead.

If you need the capacity and 2x16 gives you better price to performance, by all means go for it. The more specs match, the more likely it'll work (e.g. same speed, latency/timings and ranks)

Best chance of success would likely be another kit from the same manufacturer, but even that can fail, because kits produced at a different time might use different ICs under the hood.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply