Why did the headphone jack cross the road? OnePlus says it's due to the in-display finger scanner

D13H4RD
30 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) 3.5mm cannot charge your phone

2) 3.5mm cannot carry USB protocol, thunderbolt protocol, or do any (significant) digital data transfer.
3) 3.5mm does not support ethernet, displayport, or any other additional features.

4) companies make 4 pole headphones and then there are thousands of posts on forums wondering why their mic doesn't work when plugged into their PC. Every week I tell someone they need to buy a 4 pole to 2x3 pole splitter.

So yeah, nothing is perfect. But 3.5mm is VERY far form it and has tons of limitations.

Well for one 3.5mm doesn't need to charge your phone or carry a digital signal. USB-C doesn't let you charge and listen unless you buy yet another dongle,which I guess you don't mind if you're already living that dongle life, most people probably wouldn't mind anyway.

In the case of plugging a headset into a PC,any reasonably decent headset comes with a splitter so I don't really see that as a problem. The 3.5mm jack is something that just works and trying to replace it with another port is simply creating a problem that otherwise wouldn't be there.

34 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Android phones were the first to remove headphone jacks.

Like 5 of them did before apple.

Also, yes my PC has 3.5mm, I haven't used it in the past 5 years thanks to digital interface communication over USB, which is superior.

The issue is Apple got away with removing it and called it a feature, which got most to think that 3.5mm is somehow "outdated" so screw being able to plug any standard 3.5mm device into your phone,buy this shit*ty fragile adapter instead.

Right, having audio interference over USB is superior unless you buy an expensive DAC & amp.

Furthermore, whether the jack lives or dies is at the mercy of the audio industry, since they created the standard while tech companies implement them.

So as long as the audio industry remains committed to the jack, it'll live. That will be the case until there's a new standard that keeps what's great about the jack, but does it better while having new capabilities.

It'll be eventually replaced. I've just yet to see an implementation that kept what's great about the jack, and then improving on it.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Furthermore, whether the jack lives or dies is at the mercy of the audio industry, since they created the standard while tech companies implement them.

So as long as the audio industry remains committed to the jack, it'll live. That will be the case until there's a new standard that keeps what's great about the jack, but does it better while having new capabilities.

Well, actually, I did some reading and apparently it was first implemented by the (get this) phone industry, in the 19th century. What is now known as the headphone jack (or 3.5mm jack) was originally used for phone switchboards, to connect phones to each other. The audio industry didn't adopt it for audio until the 1950s.

In a twist of fate, the audio industry now decides the fate of something the phone industry created.

1 minute ago, NowakVulpix said:

Well, actually, I did some reading and apparently it was first implemented by the (get this) phone industry, in the 19th century. What is now known as the headphone jack (or 3.5mm jack) was originally used for phone switchboards, to connect phones to each other. The audio industry didn't adopt it for audio until the 1950s.

In a twist of fate, the audio industry now decides the fate of something the phone industry created.

Interesting bit of info. 

And yes, I find that strangely ironic as well. Especially since many good headphones do still come with 3.5mm jacks 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I should specify it was for landline phones, as mobile phones wouldn't be a thing for another ~100 years after the headphone jack - or, rather, phone connector - was invented.

8 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Well, I'd hope they unscrew the screwed situation the USB-C standard is in before we head towards a "one-port-for-all" future.

I want a single port that just works. Not a single port that requires me to think about whether it'll work or not even if it fits.

In fact, this is exactly what's going on right now, just with one port with a dizzying array of implementations.

Well what do you think happened when USB A came out?? 

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well for one 3.5mm doesn't need to charge your phone or carry a digital signal. USB-C doesn't let you charge and listen unless you buy yet another dongle,which I guess you don't mind if you're already living that dongle life, most people probably wouldn't mind anyway.

In the case of plugging a headset into a PC,any reasonably decent headset comes with a splitter so I don't really see that as a problem. The 3.5mm jack is something that just works and trying to replace it with another port is simply creating a problem that otherwise wouldn't be there.

The issue is Apple got away with removing it and called it a feature, which got most to think that 3.5mm is somehow "outdated" so screw being able to plug any standard 3.5mm device into your phone,buy this shit*ty fragile adapter instead.

Right, having audio interference over USB is superior unless you buy an expensive DAC & amp.

1) The "charge while listening to music" excuse is one I've heard hundreds of times and have never met a single person that actually does that.

2) you don't need dongles if you have a removable cable, if you use bluetooth, or if you buy a device that already has a USB connector instead of 3.5mm.

3) very few headsets actually include a splitter, usually only $100+ ones, and yes I already said there are hundreds of posts every year of people asking why their mic doesn't work on their PC. This is the same thing as with USB C, people not doing research and learning after the fact.

4) 3.5mm technically is outdated, as it's only purpose on a phone is just for audio while USB can do audio as well as millions of other things. Printer ports were removed from computers because USB A could do the same as well as millions of other things.

5) Doesn't have to be expensive, there are $1 ones form china if all you want is analogue output. In fact, often times those $1 ones are better because they are outside the computer and have less EMI, which is why tons of people who bought a modmic also bought a cheap DAC to remove static.

81nmpPQRHIL._SX425_.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

35 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Isn't Samsung still on Micro-USB?

No, they adopted usb-c with the galaxy s8.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

1) The "charge while listening to music" excuse is one I've heard hundreds of times and have never met a single person that actually does that.

Hi :P 

24 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well what do you think happened when USB A came out?? 

I didn't have a problem when USB-A came out. 

Of course, there were small teething pains but I never experienced something that just flat out didn't work. 

My old Pixma iP1600 worked fine too. 

Just now, NowakVulpix said:

Hi :P 

I mean IRL.

Do you do that because your battery doesn't have enough juice to last through the day?

Or are you listening to music as you go to sleep?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The "charge while listening to music" excuse is one I've heard hundreds of times and have never met a single person that actually does that.

Also, hi

I mean IRL.

Do you do that because your battery doesn't have enough juice to last through the day?

Or are you listening to music as you go to sleep?

My phone's battery doesn't last long enough to make it through the day anymore. Then again, it's almost 2 years old.

Waiting for Sammy to get back to me about this issue I've been having with buying the S9 rn. I'm ready for a new phone, honestly.

3 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

My phone's battery doesn't last long enough to make it through the day anymore. Then again, it's almost 2 years old.

Waiting for Sammy to get back to me about this issue I've been having with buying the S9 rn. I'm ready for a new phone, honestly.

In the near future battery life should become less of an issue.

But yeah for now then people like you should stick to phones with both jacks.

Still, it's the minority, so that's why almost all new phones being engineered are excluding it.

Imagine if your PC had 200 different types of ports on it just because 1% of people need XLR and 2% of people need TOSLINK and 0.7% of people need TRS.

Oh and that one grandma that still uses a parallel port printer, gotta have that connector on your case too.

A digital connection like USB or thunderbolt allows you to choose exactly what you need, rather than designing a product that caters to 100% of people (which is impossible).

Spoiler

In the near future battery life should become less of an issue.

The thing is, you can't really do a whole lot to stop battery degradation. Even if you take precautions to stop it, it'll still gradually degrade over time.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

But yeah for now then people like you should stick to phones with both jacks.

Still, it's the minority, so that's why almost all new phones being engineered are excluding it.

My boyfriend is more apathetic towards the jack than I am, but he still understands why it's necessary. USB-C and Bluetooth aren't proper replacements yet. They just aren't there yet.

Bunch of excuses. When you look physical properties of headphone jack, it's not all that big. And there is also a 2.5mm standard which is smaller. Needs a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter, but if you have it hooked to headphones, it wouldn't matter. But since Apple made up their mind, all the sheep need to follow no matter what.

Bottom line is, internals are not that stuffed for them not be able to integrate headphone jack. It's just easier not to have it entirely. Less parts, faster assembly, higher margin, more profit. Simple as that. Screw the users tho.

Everyone complaining about USB-C having no audio standards, that’s fine because Bluetooth does. The premise behind removing the 3.5mm jack isn’t that you dongle up or buy USB-C headphones, it’s that you buy Bluetooth headphones.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

Everyone complaining about USB-C having no audio standards, that’s fine because Bluetooth does. The premise behind removing the 3.5mm jack isn’t that you dongle up or buy USB-C headphones, it’s that you buy Bluetooth headphones.

Which itself has its own set of flaws.

Such as interference.

14 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

The thing is, you can't really do a whole lot to stop battery degradation. Even if you take precautions to stop it, it'll still gradually degrade over time.

My boyfriend is more apathetic towards the jack than I am, but he still understands why it's necessary. USB-C and Bluetooth aren't proper replacements yet. They just aren't there yet.

Battery lifespan is going up slowly, there already are batteries with 20000 cycles of lifespan, they just aren't very energy dense.

USB C is certainly a proper replacement as long as you don't cheap out and buy a crap adapter.

Or just buy USB headphones in the first place.

Spoiler

I'll just keep my Note8, tbh.

Maybe by the time I upgrade, USB-C becomes the one port for all standard I wanted.

If not.....well.....iPhone time I guess.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

USB C is certainly a proper replacement as long as you don't cheap out and buy a crap adapter.

Or just buy USB headphones in the first place.

Or an HTC phone.

No 3.5mm jack is probably going to be an forever deal breaker for me, I do have a pair of wireless earbuds that are good, but after three hours they are dead and need to charge so if I'm doing anything that happens to last longer than that, like going to visit my cousins further south, then I need a wired pair or if I ever want to use my speakers I get the choice of dongle hell or not using it if I get a phone without one. Just because phone companies are retarded dosent mean all my sound stuff just went wireless or that I'm going to carry dongles everywhere

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

more phone i don't need to consider when i upgrade around new year. naisu. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Or an HTC phone.

Too bad HTC's newer phones don't have the jack.

And a pretty screwed implementation of USB-C if that wasn't enough insult to injury.

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Which itself has its own set of flaws.

Such as interference.

Disagree, I have two sets of Bluetooth headphones and don’t experience any interference. At the gym my phone is in my bag in the storage cubicles and I work out with it streaming to my headphones, at home I can leave my phone on my desk and go to the kitchen and don’t have any issues. If you’re having issues with interference I would suggest it’s an issue with your device(s) rather than an issue with Bluetooth itself.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

No 3.5mm jack is probably going to be an forever deal breaker for me, I do have a pair of wireless earbuds that are good, but after three hours they are dead and need to charge so if I'm doing anything that happens to last longer than that, like going to visit my cousins further south, then I need a wired pair or if I ever want to use my speakers I get the choice of dongle hell or not using it if I get a phone without one. Just because phone companies are retarded dosent mean all my sound stuff just went wireless or that I'm going to carry dongles everywhere

Forever?

Was the removal of parallel ata also a dealbreaker because you couldn't use old hard drives in a modern motherboard, so you still use pata?

You know USB C headphones exist right?

No need for dongles.

Spoiler