Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

3 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

custom car vs pre built and why

Pre built. Gotta have that warranty.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 9/18/2020 at 11:17 PM, Sarra said:

Actually, I could have potentially had a ticket I got several years ago thrown out by a judge, and even disciplinary action against the officer. Claimed I was speeding, but he was very obviously on his phone, and not even looking when I drove past. I also wasn't speeding. He screwed up, though, and it never went on my record...

On 9/18/2020 at 11:24 PM, White15gt said:

What dash cam do you run?  I've been considering getting one for quite a while now...all the reviews and such I have come across seem like paid Amazon reviews lol

I started with a Blacksys CH100B, installed that in my car and my sisters car later on. [1080p/30 front], 720p/30p rear. When I got the Focus, I made a slight upgrade to the Blackvue DR750S. [1080p/60 front, 1080p/30 rear]. Both came with GPS speed monitoring (the CH100B's was actually an add on module) that can either be disabled or plugged in if you dont want that. If i were to get a real upgrade from that, I'd probably have gotten the DR900S which shoots 4k/30 front. Better detail can help if oyu need to zoom into an image to read a license plate, but the 60fps helps for fast moving objects. So far I havent seen a 4k/60 dashcam, that would probably be the thing I'd shoot for even though I know it'd be like $600+ based on the DRS900's price of around $430

The in car footage in this video was taken from the Blacksys:

Youtube compression makes it a bit grainer than the native file

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

P_20200920_072905.thumb.jpg.cf89902f74ea2a75d2ba37cd53aba586.jpg

My coworker finally drove his supercharged Z32 to work again. Needless to say, its much faster than my 7. Makes roughly 300 wheel, but has not been dyno tested; it was already built when he bought it.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Ford: Here's the Bronco!

Buyers: We want 7 speed Manual on bigger Engines and Sasquatch packages

Ford: No

Buyers: *Put wallet away*

Ford: https://www.thedrive.com/news/36583/the-2021-ford-bronco-sasquatch-will-have-a-seven-speed-manual-after-all

Buyers: *okay maybe*

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

well my GF CRV got an oil change. 2003 in bronze/gold 170,000 miles still runs good.

it still needs another bath after all the wildfires

my dads 69 Malibu is almost back from the shop after slowly being worked on. disk brakes, rear end gears got changed and some other minor things were clean up.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Ford: Here's the Bronco!

Buyers: We want 7 speed Manual on bigger Engines and Sasquatch packages

Ford: No

Buyers: *Put wallet away*

Ford: https://www.thedrive.com/news/36583/the-2021-ford-bronco-sasquatch-will-have-a-seven-speed-manual-after-all

Buyers: *okay maybe*

Aand then 2 people buy it.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

7 hours ago, vetali said:

The voice of opinion is bigger than the voice of one’s wallet 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 hours ago, vetali said:

45 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The voice of opinion is bigger than the voice of one’s wallet 

I mean I'm considering it as a second vehicle (Not yet, waiting for the first year or two to pass to know if/how bad the problems with a new vehicle are)

Speaking of vehicles (wow shocker) My girlfriend is shoopping for a truck/SUV under $3k localy, and we're finding a shocking number of  lifted Jeep Cherokee's, Grand's and wranglers. I know Wranglers just usually have issues in general (rust, engine, etc) but are the Cherokee's the same?

12 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Speaking of vehicles (wow shocker) My girlfriend is shoopping for a truck/SUV under $3k localy, and we're finding a shocking number of  lifted Jeep Cherokee's, Grand's and wranglers. I know Wranglers just usually have issues in general (rust, engine, etc) but are the Cherokee's the same?

5.2/5.9s are generally reliable if you can find them. Newer ones have issues with the intake plenum pan blowing out the gasket and drinking oil. Definitely get it over the 4.0 no matter what the neckbeards on jeep communities say. 4.7 is a boat anchor in my eyes. The issues are usually in the trans. Line pressure control solenoid (what replaced the governer) starts getting weak and causes random slips while cold, a lot of the time 2-3. That plus improper maintenance just snowballs to a bad trans. Also the grand cherokees have nothing but HVAC box issues with doors breaking. Not sure if reg cherokees do. I did a lot of dash pulls on grand cherokees at my old shop.

First gen durangos get a lot of the luxuries of the grand cherokee without the jeep tax though.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

I pulled the datalogs and averaged the readings into a pivot table so I could manipulate and visualize the data.

Which gives me this.  Car is probably making between 450-500hp at the crank, right up around 6600 - 6700rpm.  Never been on dyno, this data is being estimated from AFR and MAF readings.

image.thumb.png.9d5eae83d0bca1607ba5c7bd17da8bd4.png

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

20 hours ago, xXFitzXx said:

Yep it made a big splash a couple years back with top speed runs.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

so i'm at a crossroads at the moment. ordered my crate motor july 22 with a ship date of aug 27. its now sept 25 and i inquired about it and was told sorry waiting on heads we haven't started on it. we don't know when we will get them and it could take another month or 2.....

so i'm at a loss here. being a crate engine i was sorta expecting it to already be built but i can see the other side of not wanting to keep something like this sitting because it costs so much. but i paid 8k for this and to not even have started on it kinda pisses me off. i'm starting to just say screw it ill go elsewhere and request a refund as this is unacceptable... at least to me but is that normal?

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

An "Oh Shit" moment... My 2005 Victory Vegas fell off the lift wedging itself perfectly between my "95 Ultra Classic and zero turn lawn mower. I had a lift jack underneath it, but removed it the night before and failed to secure the bike with straps. Low air pressure in the front tire allowed it to slip out of the front tire vise. Amazingly, it fell on a new set of truck tires which cushioned the fall and the bike never touched the floor, the other bike or zero turn. Nothing damaged but my pride.

IMG_20200408_181403.jpg

IMG_20200408_181347.jpg

IMG_20200408_181336.jpg

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

On 9/25/2020 at 2:18 AM, That_Random_Guy said:

so i'm at a crossroads at the moment. ordered my crate motor july 22 with a ship date of aug 27. its now sept 25 and i inquired about it and was told sorry waiting on heads we haven't started on it. we don't know when we will get them and it could take another month or 2.....

so i'm at a loss here. being a crate engine i was sorta expecting it to already be built but i can see the other side of not wanting to keep something like this sitting because it costs so much. but i paid 8k for this and to not even have started on it kinda pisses me off. i'm starting to just say screw it ill go elsewhere and request a refund as this is unacceptable... at least to me but is that normal?

What engine is it?  I know a TON of engine builders are struggling to get components in.  I’ve seen it first hand. 

Even parts for us have been pretty slim. Had to wait with a car dead on my lift for 2 weeks for some parts from GM that were supposed to be next day.

59 minutes ago, vetali said:

Even parts for us have been pretty slim. Had to wait with a car dead on my lift for 2 weeks for some parts from GM that were supposed to be next day.

We've also ran into this. By chance were they the VVT solenoids for a GM 2.5L 4 banger? Tried for some of those earlier this year and the dealer told me that no one had any of them and no one would get any of them until at least September and to buy the Dorman ones since thats what they were using. Called our local supplier that carries Dorman and they were not only out of stock but had the next lot they were due in pre-bought by that very same dealer. The dealer was buying up EVERY solenoid in the tri-county area as fast as they came in in order to squeeze out anyone else working on these with this problem and probably because they were getting the bulk of customers coming back under warranty for them too. We were able to snag an errant Dorman part eventually and get them rolling but I'm dubious on Dorman durability.

Pre-Covid I had issues getting a body harness for a newer Jeep Cherokee, every dealer had no lead because 'all parts being made were destined for production vehicles and no spares were being produced at this time' so we had to wait about 1.5 months for a spare part to be made as the factories were only making extra on a per-order basis and only doing production in batches.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

We've also ran into this. By chance were they the VVT solenoids for a GM 2.5L 4 banger? Tried for some of those earlier this year and the dealer told me that no one had any of them and no one would get any of them until at least September and to buy the Dorman ones since thats what they were using. Called our local supplier that carries Dorman and they were not only out of stock but had the next lot they were due in pre-bought by that very same dealer. The dealer was buying up EVERY solenoid in the tri-county area as fast as they came in in order to squeeze out anyone else working on these with this problem and probably because they were getting the bulk of customers coming back under warranty for them too. We were able to snag an errant Dorman part eventually and get them rolling but I'm dubious on Dorman durability.

Pre-Covid I had issues getting a body harness for a newer Jeep Cherokee, every dealer had no lead because 'all parts being made were destined for production vehicles and no spares were being produced at this time' so we had to wait about 1.5 months for a spare part to be made as the factories were only making extra on a per-order basis and only doing production in batches.

No, clutch parts for a 17 cruze. I haven't had issues with the dorman GM VVT solenoids. I had one issue with a dorman VVT solenoid on a chrysler 2.4 that I did. Solenoid was fine, just I broke it doing a head gasket lol. It came back a week later with a slow response for camshaft advancement or some shit. I cleared it and told them if it came back we'd go OEM and that was 3 months ago.

19 hours ago, vetali said:

No, clutch parts for a 17 cruze. I haven't had issues with the dorman GM VVT solenoids. I had one issue with a dorman VVT solenoid on a chrysler 2.4 that I did. Solenoid was fine, just I broke it doing a head gasket lol. It came back a week later with a slow response for camshaft advancement or some shit. I cleared it and told them if it came back we'd go OEM and that was 3 months ago.

Cruze? Oh don't worry it won't live long enough to wear out any more clutch parts. Those engines develop oil pressure problems pretty often and no sense doing an engine in a $5000 car when the engine is going to be $3000. Either the oil pump takes a dump or the turbo models have the lovely 1-2 punch of intake manifold and valve cover failing, causing the crank case to see intake manifold pressure under boost due to a failed rubber check valve and blow out seals and then whistle like a demon at idle from the perforated pcv diaphragm in the valve cover. Of course all these parts are non-repairable. Some saint though figured out how to block the  port on the manifold and run an external check valve and sells it as a kit, but still a bit of labor involved.