Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Cruze? Oh don't worry it won't live long enough to wear out any more clutch parts. Those engines develop oil pressure problems pretty often and no sense doing an engine in a $5000 car when the engine is going to be $3000. Either the oil pump takes a dump or the turbo models have the lovely 1-2 punch of intake manifold and valve cover failing, causing the crank case to see intake manifold pressure under boost due to a failed rubber check valve and blow out seals and then whistle like a demon at idle from the perforated pcv diaphragm in the valve cover. Of course all these parts are non-repairable. Some saint though figured out how to block the  port on the manifold and run an external check valve and sells it as a kit, but still a bit of labor involved.

Funny thing is the clutch was fine as far as life, just brake fluid soaked because it uses the slave cylinder/throw out bearing combo thing that has had issues for 30+ years now.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Funny thing is the clutch was fine as far as life, just brake fluid soaked because it uses the slave cylinder/throw out bearing combo thing that has had issues for 30+ years now.

If there's one thing GM does well it's keep using the same failing designs over and over. How many decades of their V6/8 engines have had the same wet intake gasket failures?

These streets can't handle my MAD POWER in 2nd gear. Pretty sure there was something slick in the intersection I ran over because I felt it on both the front and rear tires when I slid there, didn't help I was on power through the turn either but I can't break traction like that in 2nd gear at that speed let alone barely in 1st gear with these sticky tires, even when they're "cold".

Pulled one boat out of the water this weekend and decided to wax the hull the easy way:

Resized-20200926-154543-1.jpg

Necessary? No. Fun? Kinda. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Pulled one boat out of the water this weekend and decided to wax the hull the easy way:

Spoiler

Resized-20200926-154543-1.jpg

Necessary? No. Fun? Kinda. 

Looks like you've been working hard..... You should kick your feet up and relax...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Looks like you've been working hard..... You should kick your feet up and relax...

Busy AF lately. I did use the infloor lift as a picnic table and ate lunch on it this weekend while working though, so that's something. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Do a burnout

120153030_344521010228416_2656050941312854085_n.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

Do a burnout

-snip-

"They can't get us all"

lol. Turns out they can

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Alright car peoples, my cars stuffed and I haven't got a clue when it comes to cars. So if anyone is familiar with it and can give me some suggestions to check I'll appreciate it.

Nissan Pulsar N16, 1.8L auto

Driving home had loss of power. Was fine driving along the highway beforehand and then I pulled up at an intersection, waited a minute for traffic to clear so I could proceed through and then when I set off it felt super sluggish and there was just no power when I put the foot down (even more so than a normal Nissan Pulsar). Car was then idling at 100RPM (no idea how it didn't stall), barely crawling off from a stop. Foot down 3000RPM just to get going (would normally be like 1100-1300RPM). Engine struggling to turn over. Check engine light came on after it was stopped and started again.

Didn't sound like it was missing a cylinder or misfiring but I'll need to chuck it in the garage and pop the bonnet to give it a proper listen tomorrow.

Radiator temp was normal.

Might be fuel related as the car has been mostly sitting for a few months with only a handful of short trips in that time. The fuel in the tank would be 6+ months old and was running almost empty so probably pulling through all the crap that's been settling at the bottom of the tank. Fuel filter is probably buggered.

I'll try and take a closer look at it tomorrow and see what's happening but chances are it's not something I'll be able to fix myself and I'll likely have to try and get it to a mechanic. My tools consist of a 10mm spanner, possibly MIA. My knowledge of cars is even more lacking than my tool box.

So get your guesses in now and I'll update when/if I get it fixed what the problem was.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Alright car peoples, my cars stuffed and I haven't got a clue when it comes to cars. So if anyone is familiar with it and can give me some suggestions to check I'll appreciate it.

Nissan Pulsar N16, 1.8L auto

Driving home had loss of power. Was fine driving along the highway beforehand and then I pulled up at an intersection, waited a minute for traffic to clear so I could proceed through and then when I set off it felt super sluggish and there was just no power when I put the foot down (even more so than a normal Nissan Pulsar). Car was then idling at 100RPM (no idea how it didn't stall), barely crawling off from a stop. Foot down 3000RPM just to get going (would normally be like 1100-1300RPM). Engine struggling to turn over. Check engine light came on after it was stopped and started again.

Didn't sound like it was missing a cylinder or misfiring but I'll need to chuck it in the garage and pop the bonnet to give it a proper listen tomorrow.

Radiator temp was normal.

Might be fuel related as the car has been mostly sitting for a few months with only a handful of short trips in that time. The fuel in the tank would be 6+ months old and was running almost empty so probably pulling through all the crap that's been settling at the bottom of the tank. Fuel filter is probably buggered.

I'll try and take a closer look at it tomorrow and see what's happening but chances are it's not something I'll be able to fix myself and I'll likely have to try and get it to a mechanic. My tools consist of a 10mm spanner, possibly MIA. My knowledge of cars is even more lacking than my tool box.

So get your guesses in now and I'll update when/if I get it fixed what the problem was.

very stupid suggestion,

but was the handbrake possibly not all the way down,

i did this once when driving home after a party where i got about 2 hours of sleep, i basically had a hard time starting and stopping and the handbrake light wasn't on when i looked at the dashboard.

got kind of scared as i was on the motor way and hit 100kph and then for some reason the car slowed down when i went full throtthe and the rpm didn't increase.

sounded similar to what you described but it's entirely possible that it's unrelated.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

very stupid suggestion,

but was the handbrake possibly not all the way down,

i did this once when driving home after a party where i got about 2 hours of sleep, i basically had a hard time starting and stopping and the handbrake light wasn't on when i looked at the dashboard.

got kind of scared as i was on the motor way and hit 100kph and then for some reason the car slowed down when i went full throtthe and the rpm didn't increase.

sounded similar to what you described but it's entirely possible that it's unrelated.

Haha, nah, wasn't the handbrake. I stopped and started the car a few times (including parking, walking away and coming back to it later) while testing it so would have applied the handbrake at least half a dozen times. Also started having issues turning over so definitely not that.
I wish it was something that simple though :D

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Haha, nah, wasn't the handbrake. I stopped and started the car a few times (including parking, walking away and coming back to it later) while testing it so would have applied the handbrake at least half a dozen times. Also started having issues turning over so definitely not that.
I wish it was something that simple though :D

yea, i had passangers in my car when i did my "stunt".

i convinced one of em to go out the car and check if the boot was properly closed when i realaized the problem as i was embarrassed, and played it off like that.

luckily no damage was done to the handbrake and i did mention it (as i did not own the car, but my mother did).

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

The only way it could have been the hand brake is if it was one of those electronic hand brakes that are just a toggle button and it was acting up

Spotted this lovely 1992 Phase I Peugeot 106 XN Graduate this morning...

20200930_110534.JPG

20200930_110548.JPG

20200930_110559.JPG

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Anyone here ever applied PPF?

I would like to add some more to a few spots on my Focus but have never done it before, I just had the dealer install it on the front end, but I'd like to add some to the rear bumper by the trunk and maybe door sills.

I've watched a few vids and it really doesnt look hard, just time consuming. Anyone have experience or tips?

@Spotty sort of like above said, i'd check for brakes dragging whether it be the actual brakes or the parking brake since you said you didn't sense a misfire.

If you have an infared thermometer you can take it for a drive (try to barely touch the brakes), then when you get back measure the temps at all 4 corners and see if you see anything odd (anything oddly high could be dragging)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Anyone here ever applied PPF?

I would like to add some more to a few spots on my Focus but have never done it before, I just had the dealer install it on the front end, but I'd like to add some to the rear bumper by the trunk and maybe door sills.

I've watched a few vids and it really doesnt look hard, just time consuming. Anyone have experience or tips?

i've applied it to headlights after polishing (works great btw, miata headlights still aren't yellow after 3 years now with xpel PPF)

VERY time consuming for me. That stuff (if you get the nice stuff) is very thick and less flexible than you'd expect. You have to be super cautious and keep things wet (both the film and your hands)

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

i've applied it to headlights after polishing (works great btw, miata headlights still aren't yellow after 3 years now with xpel PPF)

VERY time consuming for me. That stuff (if you get the nice stuff) is very thick and less flexible than you'd expect. You have to be super cautious and keep things wet (both the film and your hands)

Did you pull the headlights or do them on the car? I wouldnt mind doing the headlights after a good cut and polish too.

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Did you pull the headlights or do them on the car? I wouldnt mind doing the headlights after a good cut and polish too.

I did it on the car. im not sure if off the car would help. Maybe if you clamped the headlight in something? You don't want to have to both hold the headlight in place and apply the film, that most likely won't work.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

Quick question:

Can i use de-ionized water in car's radiator ?

Thank you

That is exactly what you want to use, it's cleaned similarly to distilled water to be mineral free so it doesn't gunk stuff up.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

That is exactly what you want to use, it's cleaned similarly to distilled water to be mineral free so it doesn't gunk stuff up.

Is de-ionized preferred over distilled water ?

11 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Is de-ionized preferred over distilled water ?

No, they're both equally fine in this use.

Got out last night for a nice 1/4 tank drive just cruising around the area south of me, nice time if year with almost no bugs.

27 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I did it on the car. im not sure if off the car would help. Maybe if you clamped the headlight in something? You don't want to have to both hold the headlight in place and apply the film, that most likely won't work.

I've seen some people have one guy hold the light and one guy wraps it, that way you can get the film down past where the fenders/hood/bumper would be for a seamless install. Wondering if that's over the top haha. 

I had the front of my focus done when I bought the car, but it's one of those pre-cut sheets, not a continuous coverage so you can really see where it starts and stops. I'm eyeing up new pickups (only semi seriously) and might take a week off and pull out the headlights, tail lights, door handles etc and wrap the whole pickup.