Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Don't even need a carb really, just shoot some gas down the throat. As long as it's not wide open throttle it should sputter and run for a moment, long enough to clatter some oil up to the lifters. Might want to pull the dist and run the oil pump with a drill first though.

I wish you could do this on all engines tbh

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Don't even need a carb really, just shoot some gas down the throat. As long as it's not wide open throttle it should sputter and run for a moment, long enough to clatter some oil up to the lifters. Might want to pull the dist and run the oil pump with a drill first though.

Actually you do need it to regulate engine speed. Without a carb you have no means of controlling it.
Unrestricted it will be the same as WOT, no need for that, esp when testing (But maybe later for burnouts 😁).

Already have the means to pre-prime the engine's oil pump, that will help.

Did it in all gears, 1st, 2nd and Drive like it was nothing whenever I cared to but those days are over for it now, it's just for cruzin and so on.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

43 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Actually you do need it to regulate engine speed. Without a carb you have no means of controlling it.
Unrestricted it will be the same as WOT, no need for that, esp when testing (But maybe later for burnouts 😁).

Already have the means to pre-prime the engine's oil pump, that will help.

Did it in all gears, 1st, 2nd and Drive like it was nothing whenever I cared to but those days are over for it now, it's just for cruzin and so on.

That's why I said "as long as it's not wide open". I assumed the choke plate still moved on there enough to let you put some gas or carb cleaner down the throat. That's how we prime new engines or ones that have sat a long time. We like to crank them for a minute to get oil everywhere then toss in the fuel and go. Not enough pressure when cranking to pump up the lifters but just having oil all over certainly helps with the first start clatter.

No carb on it at all right now (Bare intake) so it's purely WOT as is.
Do have a line on a Holley that can go on it so that shoudn't be a big deal to setup.

I'll prime the engine with the pre-oil method and make sure I have oil going.... Everywhere.
Definitely enough to get the new filter full so it doesn't have to rattle as you said for the first few seconds. I'll just take a good drill and spin it until I see oil all inside the valve cover area (Covers off of course).

First thing after that is simply to work it and turn it by hand at first for a few rounds to help remove whatever rust may be inside and help avoid a broken ring. Spinning it with the starter works but since that forces it the possibility of a ring breaking is there, this way it gets to move it's full range of movement in a much easier fashion.
I'll do that for a few turns by hand, THEN use the starter to actually turn it over.
Plenty of oil in the cylinders, plugs out, work it and turn by hand to start the process once I know the oil pump is primed.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

19 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Difference is now you can get compact SUV’s that can get 30 mpg on the highway so idk if that’ll still happen? Compact SUV’s are like economy cars now 

I mean yes you can get 40 mpg in a basic Jetta but who wants a basic Jetta? 

i wouldnt mind a basic 2.0 tdi jetta .... mpgs into the 60+ mark :) 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

*cries in Canadian drivers*

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

45 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

*cries in Canadian drivers*

Oh shit .. what happened? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Oh shit .. what happened? 

Puncture that threw him off at arrabbiata 2.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 minute ago, chaozbandit said:

Puncture that threw him off at arrabbiata 2.

is everyone involved in that ok?

6 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i wouldnt mind a basic 2.0 tdi jetta .... mpgs into the 60+ mark :) 

Me too. If only vw didn’t cheat emissions and actually still made them here lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

14 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Me too. If only vw didn’t cheat emissions and actually still made them here lol

yeah ... 

i could still get them .. but id rather get an audi with the 3.0 tdi tho 

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

is everyone involved in that ok?

Stroll is fine. Watch the race highlight if you want a good laugh. I don't think they're coming back to Mugello anytime soon...

Folding@Home | BOINC

4 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Stroll is fine. Watch the race highlight if you want a good laugh. I don't think they're coming back to Mugello anytime soon...

I like Mugello so much

943-1552501755-29218372.png

The race was an absolute shitshow tho :megaLUL:

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I like Mugello so much

943-1552501755-29218372.png

The race was an absolute shitshow tho :megaLUL:

*cries in Williams first point*

Folding@Home | BOINC

Picking up my car tonight from @MadyTehWolfie who spent last week giving my focus the Myabi + ISM 1.0 (2.0 wasnt available) treatment. Will have photos probably tomorrow if he doesnt beat me to it!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Picking up my car tonight from @MadyTehWolfie who spent last week giving my focus the Myabi + ISM 1.0 (2.0 wasnt available) treatment. Will have photos probably tomorrow if he doesnt beat me to it!

Nah I'll let you have the glory lol Car came out super nice with the polish and the coating! 👍

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Almost freaking done with this stupid trans cooler. Didn't have two odd size standard wrenches at home over the weekend for the fittings at the cooler.

20200914_195851.jpg

8 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

Random question, but I figured some car guys might know. 

Any suggestings for good spray paint that doesn't chip on Metal? I need a paint a power supply that will be frequently moved around and scuffed up, and the generic Home depot stuff ain't working too well. Any ideas?

Rustoleum enamel works good BUT it takes a long time to fully dry before it gets hard. I accelerate that with some oven time so if you're comfortable stripping the PSU from the case (it's still deadly when unplugged) then that'll work well. I do around 250 for an hour then like 200 for a couple hours, let it cool, then thumbnail test it for hardness. When it's dried fully thumbnail should not leave a mark in it. If you're painting galvanized steel you'll need to prep it with a light scuff and a wipe with vinegar to etch the zinc a little so the paint will stick.

30 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

I cannot open up the power supply. I can however wait several days, so time shouldn't be a problem.

I'll pick up some Enamel then. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you're not accelerating it with heat plan on like a week. Setting it out in the sun or under a heat lamp will help. When I painted a decorative windmill that wouldn't fit in the oven I stuck it under a heat lamp for about 48 hours for each section front and back of the blades. Took about 2 weeks for the paint to fully harden.

Still need to wash it after the drive back but here it is (in semi cloudy weather) 

20200915_121211.jpg

20200915_121239.jpg

20200915_121251.jpg

20200915_121452.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

A very short trip home in the TransAm.  Recently got a new power steering pump so I've been driving it.  But it turns out this pump is bad out of the box, you can hear it whine around 30-40 seconds.

Thats also when you hear me wind the engine out to 6800rpm for 2nd and almost in 3rd too.

Basically its got some of all its engine noises.  Some cold start in the car, some warm idle, mild throttle just cruising around, and two pulls, a 50-80mph pull in 2nd, and a 80-120 pull in 3rd.

Its hard to hold the camera and not have the vibrations destroy the image lol.  The vibrations come through the steering wheel pretty bad at times.  But man does it move out.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

I just ordered a downpipe, a flange adapter, and a catalyst for my Baja. We'll see if I can fix my boost problem now...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Nissan is actually making new stuff again? 

85E79331-5B98-49FB-A5AB-4018F81D027B.jpeg

Spoiler

On 9/12/2020 at 9:53 AM, bcredeur97 said:

Difference is now you can get compact SUV’s that can get 30 mpg on the highway so idk if that’ll still happen? Compact SUV’s are like economy cars now 

I mean yes you can get 40 mpg in a basic Jetta but who wants a basic Jetta? 

Hey, the new Jettas are nice looking, comfortable cars. I installed a JB4 tuner in my silk blue 2019 which increases the boost pressure. +35 hp and  +45 ft/lbs torque. It's no GLI or WRX, but it has some nice mid range pull now between 2500-4000 rpm. Still only around 180 hp, but has about 230 ft lbs of torque now for a car that weighs 2800lbs and cost $17k USD. I don't drag race anymore, but I'm sure I could give some of the new turbo civics and si's a run for their money. If I have the need to go fast, I hop on my Indian Scout 😃

Folding@Home | BOINC