Black screen and fans at max when I open a game

Go to solution Solved by okkee,
13 hours ago, Choperz said:

You don’t think it’s a software issue? I feel like it has to be because my gpu works perfectly in my roommates pc. His gpu also worked perfectly in my pc, he has a smaller power supply so I feel like it can’t be that either. Could it be a compatibility issue, a cord issue, pcie, or some connection if it’s a hardware issue? 

seems a lot like the gpu shutting itself down cause it's asking for more power than it can get. may very well be your psu but check for any loose connections

Whenever I load up a game (borderlands 3, Minecraft, cs2) my screen goes black and my gpu fans go to max speed. I can hear audio for a couple seconds and then cuts off. Well my rgb/lights are on. This also happened once after just booting up my pc and when I was checking event viewer. I swapped out my gpu with my roommates and my computer worked perfectly fine through the bl3 stress test (my gpu wouldn’t get to the stress test). He then put my gpu in his computer and he played a match of cs2 which worked perfectly as well. We switched our gpus back and the I have the issue again.  I’ve cleared cmos, changed pcie slot, updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, updated windows, nothing has helped so far. I just got a new cpu, motherboard, ram, and cooler in March. I used my pc all day yesterday and I shut it off. I turned it back an hour later and it happened when I opened cs 2. 

specs:

i7 12700kf 

rog strix 2070 8gb 

z690 e gaming WiFi 

32gb of ddr5 ram 

750w Corsair psu

friend spec: 

Ryzen 5 5800x 

Rog strix  2060 oc edition 

32gb ddr4 ram

corsair 650w psu

(That’s all I know) 

12 minutes ago, Choperz said:

Whenever I load up a game (borderlands 3, Minecraft, cs2) my screen goes black and my gpu fans go to max speed. I can hear audio for a couple seconds and then cuts off. Well my rgb/lights are on. This also happened once after just booting up my pc and when I was checking event viewer. I swapped out my gpu with my roommates and my computer worked perfectly fine through the bl3 stress test (my gpu wouldn’t get to the stress test). He then put my gpu in his computer and he played a match of cs2 which worked perfectly as well. We switched our gpus back and the I have the issue again.  I’ve cleared cmos, changed pcie slot, updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, updated windows, nothing has helped so far. I just got a new cpu, motherboard, ram, and cooler in March. I used my pc all day yesterday and I shut it off. I turned it back an hour later and it happened when I opened cs 2. 

specs:

i7 12700kf 

rog strix 2070 8gb 

z690 e gaming WiFi 

32gb of ddr5 ram 

750w Corsair psu

friend spec: 

Ryzen 5 5800x 

32gb ddr4 ram

corsair 650w psu

(That’s all I know) 

You got XMP enabled? Other overclocks on CPU or GPU? Disable that in BIOS. Make sure ram is placed in slot A2 and B2 on the motherboard. Remember to turn off PSU. Also welcome to the forums!

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 hours ago, Choperz said:

specs:

i7 12700kf 

rog strix 2070 8gb 

z690 e gaming WiFi 

32gb of ddr5 ram 

750w Corsair psu

friend spec: 

Ryzen 5 5800x 

32gb ddr4 ram

corsair 650w psu

(That’s all I know) 

Seems like a issue with the power. Have you tried using your roommates GPU in your system? 

4 hours ago, Choperz said:

I swapped out my gpu with my roommates and my computer worked perfectly fine through the bl3 stress test

1 hour ago, okkee said:

Seems like a issue with the power. Have you tried using your roommates GPU in your system? 

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

1 hour ago, Hellowpplz said:

my bad. i thought he was still talking about his roommates PC. In that case, the most i can say is there is a problem with board power, psu, or the card itself.

8 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

You got XMP enabled? Other overclocks on CPU or GPU? Disable that in BIOS. Make sure ram is placed in slot A2 and B2 on the motherboard. Remember to turn off PSU. Also welcome to the forums!

I have not personally overclocked anything. Everything in the bios says auto. Ai over look tuner says auto but I don’t think it’s on. The ram is in the A2 and B2 slots 

9 hours ago, okkee said:

my bad. i thought he was still talking about his roommates PC. In that case, the most i can say is there is a problem with board power, psu, or the card itself.

You don’t think it’s a software issue? I feel like it has to be because my gpu works perfectly in my roommates pc. His gpu also worked perfectly in my pc, he has a smaller power supply so I feel like it can’t be that either. Could it be a compatibility issue, a cord issue, pcie, or some connection if it’s a hardware issue? 

update #1 

I had a system restore point at the time I shut down my pc before it started happening. It was a thx razer install for something. I did a system restore to a few weeks before this. It did not fix the issue. I reset my bios to default settings. It did not fix the issue. I downloaded Msi afterburner and under clocked by gpu to 80%, this did not fix it either.

I am really at a lost for words right now because I don’t know what to do to fix it. I was thinking of a windows reset because there’s nothing I really want on my pc anyways. I put my roomates gpu back in for a bit and played multiple cs games and it worked perfectly. 

6 hours ago, Choperz said:

update #1 

I had a system restore point at the time I shut down my pc before it started happening. It was a thx razer install for something. I did a system restore to a few weeks before this. It did not fix the issue. I reset my bios to default settings. It did not fix the issue. I downloaded Msi afterburner and under clocked by gpu to 80%, this did not fix it either.

I am really at a lost for words right now because I don’t know what to do to fix it. I was thinking of a windows reset because there’s nothing I really want on my pc anyways. I put my roomates gpu back in for a bit and played multiple cs games and it worked perfectly. 

software _shouldnt_ cause this. If this is only happening when you open games for benchmarks, I would say psu issue. Your gpu has a higher tdp (of around 40-60W I believe) than your roommates, so that could be why his worked better.

Other than this I would say a board issue with not wanting your gpu in specific.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

13 hours ago, Choperz said:

seems a lot like the gpu shutting itself down cause it's asking for more power than it can get. may very well be your psu but check for any loose connections

FIXED!! I bought a new power supply. It must have not been supplying enough power or something. It was 8 years old because I originally built it in 2016. Thanks for all the help and insight, I appreciate it.