BOINC Community Board

Thread for all things related to BOINC: be it events or community discussion.

If you have any questions, this be the place to ask those as well.

Event ideas can be posted here and/or PM me.

Current Events

None

Upcoming Events

BOINC Warm-Up Crunch - TBD

BOINC Pentathlon 2023 - 5 May 2023 to 19 May 2023  :  https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/

Former BOINC Events done by LTT Team
LTT gain 10th spot overall

Info

So, what is BOINC? 

BOINC is a software for distributed crunching in the same vein as F@H.  The application allows for a wide range of individuals across the global to chip in and help out on a variety of projects.  These project can range from Mathematics like prime hunting; research on vaccines or treatments for diseases; research concerning the LHC; and research on cancer and astronomical bodies in space.

How do I get started?

You will first need the BOINC client.  This can be found over on here: https://boinc.berkeley.edu

Once you have the client and installed, then you can select what projects you want to crunch.

There are many projects, some can use both CPU and GPU, others mostly GPU, and ones where it is solely CPU.

What BOINC projects are out there?

For a list of projects, this is the place to look:  https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

Where can I see my badges I get from projects?

For a quick and easy way to look at the badges you earn from projects, go here: https://signature.statseb.fr

Where can I see all the neat graphs and charts for the points I gain?

The place for that is this website: https://www.boincstats.com

For more information, below is links for guides concerning BOINC.

Guides:

Where to request BOINC badges

Project Tuning

Collatz Conjecture - https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/

Spoiler

1080Ti - basic default

verbose=1
kernels_per_reduction=48
threads=8
lut_size=18
sieve_size=30
cache_sieve=1
sleep=1
reduce_cpu=0

VII - basic default

Still in works

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

@Ithanul

Firstly, thank you very much for making this thread so fast, it means a lot and I already have a few questions lined up so here we go:

1. Why is there such a difference in points between some projects, for example my 1080 Ti (by my calculation) earns around 5M PPD on Collatz, however on GPUGRID it earns around 1-2M.

2. Do all the points from all projects count toward the badges (here on LTT forum) the same? Or is there like some multiplier for lower points projects like GPUGRID in my example.

3. What are best combinations of projects? So that I can utilize both my 1080 Ti and i7 8700k?

3. How exactly are points calculated for projects (I know there are some formulas available in guides but I really do not understand them), is it same like for Folding, where they give more points for faster finishing or is it fixed somehow?

4. I've seen up to 10 tasks in my BOINC Manager lined up for upload at 100%, possibly waiting for trigger (which I guess is every hour or less?), but when I click "Update" on Projects tab, it instantly uploads them. Is there a way to change that option so they upload as soon as they finish or at least check more often? This question is tied to 3rd one, as I do not know if time is of the essence here (in BOINC) like in Folding. 

5. I've seen a loooooot of projects available and I would love to help in all, but as that can be difficult, I would love to help in some smaller projects where there is not a lot of people helping while that project actually provides something useful (I've found a list of all projects with their goals-which is quite helpful). Where can I check which projects have the least people and computing power?

6. Are there any event badges here like for folding?

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Boinc is Broken, no joke.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, r2724r16 said:

Boinc is Broken, no joke.

How so? 

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

2 hours ago, Favebook said:

@Ithanul

Firstly, thank you very much for making this thread so fast, it means a lot and I already have a few questions lined up so here we go:

1. Why is there such a difference in points between some projects, for example my 1080 Ti (by my calculation) earns around 5M PPD on Collatz, however on GPUGRID it earns around 1-2M.

2. Do all the points from all projects count toward the badges (here on LTT forum) the same? Or is there like some multiplier for lower points projects like GPUGRID in my example.

3. What are best combinations of projects? So that I can utilize both my 1080 Ti and i7 8700k?

4. How exactly are points calculated for projects (I know there are some formulas available in guides but I really do not understand them), is it same like for Folding, where they give more points for faster finishing or is it fixed somehow?

5. I've seen up to 10 tasks in my BOINC Manager lined up for upload at 100%, possibly waiting for trigger (which I guess is every hour or less?), but when I click "Update" on Projects tab, it instantly uploads them. Is there a way to change that option so they upload as soon as they finish or at least check more often? This question is tied to 3rd one, as I do not know if time is of the essence here (in BOINC) like in Folding. 

6. I've seen a loooooot of projects available and I would love to help in all, but as that can be difficult, I would love to help in some smaller projects where there is not a lot of people helping while that project actually provides something useful (I've found a list of all projects with their goals-which is quite helpful). Where can I check which projects have the least people and computing power?

7. Are there any event badges here like for folding?

1.  The points by my understanding are decided by the individuals heading the project.  Sometimes announcements will push through the client if there are point changes, though not all projects do that.  In those cases, the forums for the project will have stated adjustments to points.

2.  Yes.  The total points across projects, as long as you are on the Linustechtips Team, will count toward the badge here on the forums.

3.  I don't know the definite answer.  My rule of thumb is leave one thread for OS, one thread per GPU, and any left over threads on CPU work toward BOINC projects.  With BOINC you can set the percentage of CPU usage and thread usage.

4.  Point calculations will vary by BOINC project.  By my understanding, most are fixed points.  The offset of this is, if you pause a WU, you don't lose points.  You just don't get those points until the WU is finished.  Of course, a stronger GPU and CPU will run a project faster than a weaker one.  Though, say you have a lower clock CPU with many threads and a higher core clock CPU with lower threads, than both can trade blow in output production depending on setup. 

5.  Hmmm, what project?  I have to re-look around settings, as by default, BOINC tends to auto upload finish WUs for me.

6.  The best route is probably to look on the BOINC Stats:  https://www.boincstats.com   There are some small projects, but usually the ones with clearly stated goals tend to attract more individuals to crunch for them.  Or, if a project is new, those tend to start of small.

7.  Currently not at the moment.  Though, hopefully a Pentathlon badge can be made this upcoming year.  I will see what is required to request a badge to be made.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

Thank you for all the information and clarification.

4. What about abort option? Can that mess up my points or something? I know that dropping WU's in folding is not so great idea. What about here? Is it project by project rule or is there no rule about aborting projects?

5. Collatz is the one that usually piles up completed WU's. Probably because they are fast (6-8 minutes per each).

GPUGRID usually uploads as soon as it completes it's huge WU (which takes about 4 hours).

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

10 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Thank you for all the information and clarification.

4. What about abort option? Can that mess up my points or something? I know that dropping WU's in folding is not so great idea. What about here? Is it project by project rule or is there no rule about aborting projects?

5. Collatz is the one that usually piles up completed WU's. Probably because they are fast (6-8 minutes per each).

GPUGRID usually uploads as soon as it completes it's huge WU (which takes about 4 hours).

4.  Aborting a WU is mostly seen in the community as a no, no.  Unless, the WU is hanged or error out.  The rules most likely vary by project.  It is best to occasionally check WUs on projects' websites and to ensure not too many WUs go invalid.  The reason this is viewed in a bad light is projects that are quorum 2* then have to reissue that WU out for another client to calculate.  This hangs up points to be given out to the other client that calculated its portion.

5.  I have yet to mess with Collatz, but it sounds like it could be waiting for an upload server to open to take the work units or their upload servers are configured to wait till a client has multiple WUs done and then take them all at once considering the WUs finish so quickly.  Have you open the Event Log and see what it says for that project?

* quorum 2 projects require WUs to be calculated by two separate clients.  These don't award points out until both clients complete the WU and submit it back.

Awesome to see some movement regarding BOINC! I am doing BOINC at the moment, as the F@H Marathon ended. Idd love some events and stuff to happen here.

BUT: I think there is are severe problem with BOINC and how points are given.

Disclaimer: I am a PhD in theoretical physics, soooo I LOVE Mathematics :D

But recently I discovered that Collatz is giving me WAY more PPD than every other project. My Rig is close to going over 10mPPD on Collatz. On other projects its more like 2-3mPPD.

Dont get me wrong Collatz is super interesting, but I think throwing computing time at it is not worth it when you could throw compute time at other more serious projects like F@H Rosetta or anything else health/climate related.

Due to the fact of the massive PPD advantage of Collatz more and more peeps are supporting this project over more important ones.

Secondly: Using a GPU gives you much more PPD, therefore projects wich cant use GPU are kind of screwed, because peeps leave thier CPU threads free to go full blast GPU on something like Collatz.  

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

44 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

My Rig is close to going over 10mPPD on Collatz. On other projects its more like 2-3mPPD.

whoa, that PPD delta is pretty insane.

how can this happen tough? are PPD numbers not somewhat standardized between projects?

11 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

how can this happen tough? are PPD numbers not somewhat standardized between projects?

they should be but aint I guess. And there lies the problem

2 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Awesome to see some movement regarding BOINC! I am doing BOINC at the moment, as the F@H Marathon ended. Idd love some events and stuff to happen here.

BUT: I think there is are severe problem with BOINC and how points are given.

Disclaimer: I am a PhD in theoretical physics, soooo I LOVE Mathematics :D

But recently I discovered that Collatz is giving me WAY more PPD than every other project. My Rig is close to going over 10mPPD on Collatz. On other projects its more like 2-3mPPD.

Dont get me wrong Collatz is super interesting, but I think throwing computing time at it is not worth it when you could throw compute time at other more serious projects like F@H Rosetta or anything else health/climate related.

Due to the fact of the massive PPD advantage of Collatz more and more peeps are supporting this project over more important ones.

Secondly: Using a GPU gives you much more PPD, therefore projects wich cant use GPU are kind of screwed, because peeps leave thier CPU threads free to go full blast GPU on something like Collatz.  

Collatz does seem to give a lot of points.  Just trying it out on my 1080Ti tonight and nelly, the point output is nuts.

Though, I do love getting into the million points on CPU projects (goal is to hit 8-9mil total in Universe@Home this year and almost to 2mil in LHC@Home).  Especially doing ATLAS WUs on LHC@Home, those are all hard earn doing those VMs that require 8 CPU threads per WU.

You also have to remember, projects give out badges as well to attract folks.  Some badges are not that easy to get just base on points.

Like WCG and LHC@Home ATLAS badges.  They have ones that go off total compute time.  Getting those multiple year compute time badges on WCG takes some serious effort.

Especially this badge, 1,440 days of ATLAS crunching.  :3  I do miss Skynet POGs, they had interesting badges to give out (the ones that look like holographic are from Skynet POGs - it is a retired project now).

Capture.thumb.JPG.50c4ee9d8e39699041aee510c77579ea.JPG

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

Each project sets their points.  There is no set standard I'm aware of for the projects.  Universe@Home just re-adjusted theirs.

Though, I run Threadrippers and a Xeon, so my CPU output is higher than the average cruncher.

Kinda why I am drooling a tad at that 32c TR for TRX40.  64 threads, the output would be great in BOINC.  Though, I would definitely need 128GB of RAM to feed ATLAS WUs.

To give you an idea, here is my 1950X doing just two ATLAS WUs, a few Universe@Home, and the 1080Ti crunching Collatz.

Capture.thumb.JPG.1a34429246eefc12efd6ba5bb136042f.JPG

If I went full 90% usage, I come close to maxing out all 32GB of RAM.

6 hours ago, Ithanul said:

why I am drooling a tad at that 32c TR for TRX40.

maybe you could get a secondhand 2990WX? that way you won't have to switch platforms for the same number of cores.

here in the netherlands they are selling for about 1K/1.2K euro's

10 hours ago, Ithanul said:

4.  Aborting a WU is mostly seen in the community as a no, no.  Unless, the WU is hanged or error out.  The rules most likely vary by project.  It is best to occasionally check WUs on projects' websites and to ensure not too many WUs go invalid.  The reason this is viewed in a bad light is projects that are quorum 2* then have to reissue that WU out for another client to calculate.  This hangs up points to be given out to the other client that calculated its portion.

5.  I have yet to mess with Collatz, but it sounds like it could be waiting for an upload server to open to take the work units or their upload servers are configured to wait till a client has multiple WUs done and then take them all at once considering the WUs finish so quickly.  Have you open the Event Log and see what it says for that project?

* quorum 2 projects require WUs to be calculated by two separate clients.  These don't award points out until both clients complete the WU and submit it back.

4. Alright, I'll avoid aborting WUs here as well.

5. It seems that is not a constant problem, today the projects are uploading as soon as they finish. Maybe there they are waiting for sister projects to finish as well so they upload together (that is my best guess why I could've had so much lined up for upload).

9 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Yeah, that is basically the conclusion I have reached. Collatz for some reason is giving way too much. However, I only have GPU pointed towards it. I'll try to find a better suited CPU project. 

Also, after I get badge here on LTT forum I'll leave Collatz as it looks like it has way too much computing power and I am keep on helping some smaller, less known projects. Or some other more useful projects as you mentioned: health/climate.

I think I will go for GPUGrid.net with my GPUs and probably Rosetta@home with my CPUs.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

20 minutes ago, Favebook said:

I think I will go for GPUGrid.net with my GPUs and probably Rosetta@home with my CPUs.

Nice, but the Problem for me is, that GPUGrid.net is only CUDA and I haven't had a green GPU since like 10 years or so (ok call me a AMD fanboy). There isnt really anything health/climate etc for my AMD GPUs.

To be honest: I am currently also doing Collatz to get the badges, wich should be done pretty quick with my Radeon VII.

But after that I might have to switch back to F@H :( 

Or do you have any suggestions where I can put my AMD stuf to prosper use?

Other question: My GPUs could do Einstein at home and since gravitational waves are one field of my research idd be happy to help hunting. The WUs work pretty great and fast on my VII, but looks like the do not give me credit. Does anyone know what I am missing?
https://www.boincstats.com/stats/-1/user/detail/3466958/projectList

Collatz rippn like a Boss (I am OCing right now and should be up to 10m soon :D)

but no trace of Einstein...

Do they maybe have a validation problem? I am seeing huge amounts of "pending" WUs in my account and some "valid" ones form Nov. 6. although they never appeared in my Boincstats.

Anny Idea guuizzz? 

Thanks!

Edit: Anyone interested in me doing a section like this about cloud Boinc? that should not be much more work than with F@H.

26 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Nice, but the Problem for me is, that GPUGrid.net is only CUDA and I haven't had a green GPU since like 10 years or so (ok call me a AMD fanboy). There isnt really anything health/climate etc for my AMD GPUs.

To be honest: I am currently also doing Collatz to get the badges, wich should be done pretty quick with my Radeon VII.

But after that I might have to switch back to F@H :( 

Or do you have any suggestions where I can put my AMD stuf to prosper use?

I like AMD as well, but when it comes to best GPU available... Nvidia nails it and that is why I always went with them.

Oh, you shouldn't be asking me for suggestions, however @Ithanul might have knowledge that could help you.

22 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Other question: My GPUs could do Einstein at home and since gravitational waves are one field of my research idd be happy to help hunting. The WUs work pretty great and fast on my VII, but looks like the do not give me credit. Does anyone know what I am missing?

Collatz rippn like a Boss (I am OCing right now and should be up to 10m soon :D)

Do they maybe have a validation problem? I am seeing huge amounts of "pending" WUs in my account and some "valid" ones form Nov. 6. although they never appeared in my Boincstats.

Anny Idea guuizzz? 

Thanks!

Edit: Anyone interested in me doing a section like this about cloud Boinc? that should not be much more work than with F@H.

Have you tried clicking on Einstein project in projects tab and then on "Update" button? That seems to work when I have a bunch of tasks lined up. However, if they have been uploaded and they are pending on website, that might be due to them using quorum 2 (and I am only guessing here, I am not sure how and what they use), so your WUs might be waiting for their sister WUs to finish (and someone with a much slower system may be doing them so that might be a reason for slow credit validation. Also, I tend to check my credit every 24h because not every project updates them instantly as far as I noticed. However, I may be totally wrong...

Also, I would be interested in cloud BOINC but even F@H was a bit of trouble for me. And for BOINC it looks like an impossible task for me, even with guide. But if you achieve it, I would be keen on reading and trying it.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

6 minutes ago, Favebook said:

I like AMD as well, but when it comes to best GPU available... Nvidia nails it and that is why I always went with them.

Oh, you shouldn't be asking me for suggestions, however @Ithanul might have knowledge that could help you.

Have you tried clicking on Einstein project in projects tab and then on "Update" button? That seems to work when I have a bunch of tasks lined up. However, if they have been uploaded and they are pending on website, that might be due to them using quorum 2 (and I am only guessing here, I am not sure how and what they use), so your WUs might be waiting for their sister WUs to finish (and someone with a much slower system may be doing them so that might be a reason for slow credit validation. Also, I tend to check my credit every 24h because not every project updates them instantly as far as I noticed. However, I may be totally wrong...

Also, I would be interested in cloud BOINC but even F@H was a bit of trouble for me. And for BOINC it looks like an impossible task for me, even with guide. But if you achieve it, I would be keen on reading and trying it.

Yes I did that in the client. That works.

I was talking about the project overview on the website, there it show Manny pending operations. Quorum2 would explain the delay in getting the WUs approved, but what I still dont get is why the already approved ones dont show up in my stats. Even after 48h.

Guide: Right, maybe next weekend ill find the time to figure it out. But yes, in general BOINC configuration is much more complex and has to be tested with each project on its own... :( 

53 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Yes I did that in the client. That works.

I was talking about the project overview on the website, there it show Manny pending operations. Quorum2 would explain the delay in getting the WUs approved, but what I still dont get is why the already approved ones dont show up in my stats. Even after 48h.

Guide: Right, maybe next weekend ill find the time to figure it out. But yes, in general BOINC configuration is much more complex and has to be tested with each project on its own... :( 

Yeah, I am no expert here. After 48h all points should have already been updated. So I have no more ideas.

Good luck with guide! Looking forward to it if you ever figure it out (which I think you probably will).

You might be better off just trying it with bigger projects or the ones that will be in pentathlon (which is probably when I would consider using cloud computing for BOINC), from this link it looks like those will be: these were for 2019: 

OpenZika from World Community Grid

NFS@Home

yoyo@home

Einstein@Home

LHC@home

For 2020, I guess they will change? 

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

38 minutes ago, Favebook said:

OpenZika from World Community Grid

NFS@Home

yoyo@home

Einstein@Home

LHC@home

For 2020, I guess they will change? 

Dont know. Would be nice to see Rosetta in there!

28 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

so here's a general question:

what are you guys running on your GPU's clocks/power target wise?

ATM full blast. Rig is close to 1kW and I dont need a heater in my room lol. This is to see how much I can do. After this ill optimize. My strategy for this is to check how much I can decrease power target/voltage on stock speeds without loosing to much compute power

4 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Anny Idea guuizzz? 

Thanks!

That is a quorum 2 project.  Go check on the main Einstein site and see if the projects are still waiting for the wingman (other client) to finish its part.  Those will take time to become valid.  The way I do it is do a ton of them and then switch to another GPU project for a time and then switch back to do another batch again.

For other GPU projects, there is Milkway@Home, Amicable Numbers, Enigma@Home, NumberFields@Home, and PrimeGrid.  Probably a few others I missed.

Out of curiosity, you have collatz optimized for your VII?  Curious how long a WU takes on one of those.

5 hours ago, RollinLower said:

maybe you could get a secondhand 2990WX? that way you won't have to switch platforms for the same number of cores.

here in the netherlands they are selling for about 1K/1.2K euro's

I have no interest in those.  The RAM access for part of the chip is a big reason I will not touch any of the two WX chips for the X399 platform.  Plus, I would not think it be wise for me to run either of the WX chips on my current X399 boards (they don't have the grandest VRMs).  Plus, looks like the motherboard makers are finally getting serious with putting cooling on the boards and hopefully beefy VRMs.  Right now, I am waiting for any word of WS boards.

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

I usually just let my GPUs run stock with custom fan curve as I have yet to dail-in or waterblock my 1080Ti.  Now, back when I had my two 980Tis with custom BIOS and lock voltage and that crappy boost turn off.  I ran those full tilt at 1540-1560MHz.

The 1080Ti FTW3 air cooled and at stock clocks.  Custom fan curve.  Note, my indoor temps are around 78-80F/25.6-26.7C

Capture.thumb.JPG.4ca5e7e4b47ab56e483243ed956a02b9.JPG

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

This is on water cooling while doing Collatz:

669571241_Afterburner1080Ti.thumb.PNG.a4c612b5f61b33b9628d013327beb314.PNG

I sometimes put CC to +75 and MC to +250/300 but usually this is enough, and it hits around 130% of PL and Voltage is main limiter.

Also, it hits around 2050 CC on current settings (like on picture), however, Core Clock step down happens at 47 C so it drops to 2012 while working for a few hours.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

4 minutes ago, Favebook said:

This is on water cooling while doing Collatz:

I sometimes put CC to +75 and MC to +250/300 but usually this is enough, and it hits around 130% of PL and Voltage is main limiter.

Also, it hits around 2050 CC on current settings (like on picture), however, Core Clock step down happens at 47 C so it drops to 2012 while working for a few hours.

NICE! So how much power does that take for wich completion time for each WU?

my VII is sitting at 290W and a unit takes 3:45-3:55min to complete. Also on water and about 56C and junction 90C

And next question (sorry, I have to much time today and am really getting into BOINC again)
 Anny Idea why there are two instances of my username on Boincstats

This: https://www.boincstats.com/stats/-1/user/detail/3466958/projectList is me now

and somehow some other points are here: https://www.boincstats.com/stats/-1/user/detail/2772688/projectList

Can anyone imagine how this could happen?