Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Had an interesting but productive weekend. Swapped some colder plugs in the Daytona (ngk equivalent of champion rn9yc). Then when driving it broke a shifter cable... Managed to coast to a side road and put the tranny in 3rd (from under hood). Limped it home (only a few blocks) and replaced the broken cable as I happened to have an extra cable set and shifter from a spirit I had a few years ago. Shifter now feels better than it ever did 😊. Slowly been tweaking it too... Up to 16-17psi of boost and still nice and rich at wot.

took the rocker cover of the GT550 to check the valve clearances, they were surprisingly enough(or maybe not, depends on how my faith in the previous owners feels atm) all fine! Some were a bit close to the wear limits but none under or over and none on the exact limits either. Problem is that the previous person who was under the rocker cover skipped on using a gasket like there is from factory and used some sealant thats gone all sorts of places and now i dont have anything to put it back together with.

I could either go buy some sealant like there was on there now, buy the factory or factory style gasket(for like €75+shipping and import) or buy some gasket material for $15 and have gaskets for the GT550 for the rest of forever.

Im leaning towards the gasket material but im unsure as to what material type and thickness i should go for, it dosnt seem suuuuuuuuuuper critical as its just the rocket cover but ya know, dont wanna fuck it up :P Any tips? :)

IMG_20200906_171745.jpg

Edited by Bananasplit_00
Added a picture of the engine with the rocker cover off

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I mean, you don't need a ford gasket for that, the last owner probably said fuck it and just made one, which is perfectly fine in my opinion.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:12 AM, Dreeda said:

Wait, LTT has a 6000 pages thread on cars, why have I never seen seen this before lol.

welcome! 

The thread honestly has been slowly starting to show signs of it's death. We used to fly through pages like crazy on here. A few of us have been here for years. Lol.

But yeah if you like cars, this is a great place! 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

13 hours ago, Dreeda said:

I mean, you don't need a ford gasket for that, the last owner probably said fuck it and just made one, which is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Wrong GT, this is a kawasaki :P bbut yah it feels unnecessary to buy a €70 gasket but I'm also not finding anywhere that will ship me gasket materials(not that I've looked all that hard tbh) and the store that has it is too far away to reasonably drive too on my moped lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Wrong GT, this is a kawasaki :P bbut yah it feels unnecessary to buy a €70 gasket but I'm also not finding anywhere that will ship me gasket materials(not that I've looked all that hard tbh) and the store that has it is too far away to reasonably drive too on my moped lol

whoops! my bad hahaha.

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

You had my brain go like "...whaaaa? dis dun look like no Mustang engine..." :P

Well if you feel confident that you (with or without help) can get gasket material evenly enough for it to be sealed decently. I say make your own gasket, it's only job is to seal it up but it has to be applied evenly enough so that it can seal.

Oh yeah I think this is a problem. Whole thing is blocked up like this. Overheating but not sure if it's the blown plastic fitting and no coolant or the lack or radiator airflow. Oh and there's no trans cooler, lines just looped back on themselves. Win!

IMG_20200911_103759.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Oh yeah I think this is a problem. Whole thing is blocked up like this. Overheating but not sure if it's the blown plastic fitting and no coolant or the lack or radiator airflow. Oh and there's no trans cooler, lines just looped back on themselves. Win!

-snip-

woah. That's pretty bad lol...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

woah. That's pretty bad lol...

Customer is pissed, insists nothing else is wrong why aren't we fixing the "coolant code" which is an engine light because it got so fucking hot the coolant temp sensor went out of fucking range for long enough the computer thought the circuit was fucked up. Guy has a high density skull with a low density brain.  I really wanted to tell home to go back to his alley mechanic friend and leave us alone. Our girl has better things to do than argue with your dumbass for 45 minutes. HE EVEN REFUSED TO SEE A PICTURE OF THE RADIATOR WGEN HE WASN'T UNDERSTANDING IT. Said "I know what a motor looks like I ain't stupid". Buddy...just ok ok fine. Thankfully she has more people patience than I do.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Customer is pissed, insists nothing else is wrong why aren't we fixing the "coolant code" which is an engine light because it got so fucking hot the coolant temp sensor went out of fucking range for long enough the computer thought the circuit was fucked up. Guy has a high density skull with a low density brain.  I really wanted to tell home to go back to his alley mechanic friend and leave us alone. Our girl has better things to do than argue with your dumbass for 45 minutes. HE EVEN REFUSED TO SEE A PICTURE OF THE RADIATOR WGEN HE WASN'T UNDERSTANDING IT. Said "I know what a motor looks like I ain't stupid". Buddy...just ok ok fine. Thankfully she has more people patience than I do.

"here is your keys and there's the door"

With how bad that got overheated its just gonna be too much of a hassle and you will lose money.

CR-V on the lot that sales wanted to load with accessories. Good thing the hood deflector I was in the process of installing hid these paint runs. Some maaco level shit here.

9SHXFEe.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

“If you know what it looks like then how about you go ahead and fix it yourself, ok?” 

I feel bad for you guys sometimes. People don’t understand how things work and then they just think they are getting scammed even when they find someone legit due to all the malpractice that’s out there. 

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, vetali said:

"here is your keys and there's the door"

With how bad that got overheated its just gonna be too much of a hassle and you will lose money.

CR-V on the lot that sales wanted to load with accessories. Good thing the hood deflector I was in the process of installing hid these paint runs. Some maaco level shit here.

-snip- 

What is happening to Honda? It’s kinda sad tbh :/ 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

What is happening to Honda? It’s kinda sad tbh :/ 

Meh its the only one I've seen since working here with serious paint issues off the truck. Somebody probably smashed it at the port or something.

But I've been being a bit more thorough on PDIs since rona. Apparently they got clipboard warriors assembling cars now too. If the GM pact Honda made was anything more than sharing some patents I might have to go to Acura or something lol. I have a chevy cruze torn apart on my 2nd lift that blew out the slave cylinder. 2017 and they still using those terrible throwout bearing/slave cylinder combination things that are nothing but issues. Been waiting a week for new bolts because the flywheel bolts are TTY one time use with sealant.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

22 minutes ago, vetali said:

Meh its the only one I've seen since working here with serious paint issues off the truck. Somebody probably smashed it at the port or something.

But I've been being a bit more thorough on PDIs since rona. Apparently they got clipboard warriors assembling cars now too. If the GM pact Honda made was anything more than sharing some patents I might have to go to Acura or something lol. I have a chevy cruze torn apart on my 2nd lift that blew out the slave cylinder. 2017 and they still using those terrible throwout bearing/slave cylinder combination things that are nothing but issues. Been waiting a week for new bolts because the flywheel bolts are TTY one time use with sealant.

Regarding the Cruze they prob don’t care enough to change it because no one buys manuals anymore. Or cars for that matter. 

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Regarding the Cruze they prob don’t care enough to change it because no one buys manuals anymore. Or cars for that matter. 

Its been known for over 25 years those things are trash. Thing leaked all over the clutch and its toast. Dual mass flywheel so you can't resurface it.

Manuals will die off aside from enthusiast cars, and likely cost a hefty premium to retain it. I think if gas prices climb back up we'll see a surge in car purchases again. We are just continuing where we left off in 2005 when everyone was buying SUVs and then gas prices took off.

10 hours ago, vetali said:

Its been known for over 25 years those things are trash. Thing leaked all over the clutch and its toast. Dual mass flywheel so you can't resurface it.

Manuals will die off aside from enthusiast cars, and likely cost a hefty premium to retain it. I think if gas prices climb back up we'll see a surge in car purchases again. We are just continuing where we left off in 2005 when everyone was buying SUVs and then gas prices took off.

Difference is now you can get compact SUV’s that can get 30 mpg on the highway so idk if that’ll still happen? Compact SUV’s are like economy cars now 

I mean yes you can get 40 mpg in a basic Jetta but who wants a basic Jetta? 

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Difference is now you can get compact SUV’s that can get 30 mpg on the highway so idk if that’ll still happen? Compact SUV’s are like economy cars now 

I mean yes you can get 40 mpg in a basic Jetta but who wants a basic Jetta? 

Civics get 35+ MPG. Seen some near 42 MPG that come in. CR-Vs with similar powertrains barely get 32. Some get a little more because they are granny driven, but usually those vehicles have AWD that saps MPGs.

Things like the RAV4 prime throw a curve ball into the mix, but damn near 40k for a RAV4... pass. I really like the idea of plug in hybrids. Being able to do my entire daily commute on electric, then not having to deal with charging if I decide to go on a trip would be ideal for me. I almost got an insight over my civic, but the EV mode only works to like 30 mph.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Civics get 35+ MPG. Seen some near 42 MPG that come in. CR-Vs with similar powertrains barely get 32. Some get a little more because they are granny driven, but usually those vehicles have AWD that saps MPGs.

Things like the RAV4 prime throw a curve ball into the mix, but damn near 40k for a RAV4... pass. I really like the idea of plug in hybrids. Being able to do my entire daily commute on electric, then not having to deal with charging if I decide to go on a trip would be ideal for me. I almost got an insight over my civic, but the EV mode only works to like 30 mph.

My daily commute is like 40 miles to work and back and all highway. Ideal plug in hybrid for me would be something that could do 100 miles electric at 70 mph or so. That would alleviate any range concerns, even if I had to do additional errands on a given day.

It's just too unreasonable a request. I might as well buy an electric car to daily and have or rent something else for longer trips.

Spoiler

UPDATE:
Aftter finding this under the hood (Ratrod powwwah!) it's at the shop and work has started - SLOWLY but it's being done.

Luckily the engine doesn't seem bad off and it wasn't locked up from sitting all that time, turned (Very) easily by hand after making sure the cylinders had some oil in them.
ATM I've replaced the starter solenoid on the firewall (Froze up from sitting) drained the old oil from it and will attempt a test start once I track down a good carb for it.

Doesn't actually have to "Run" right now, just show a sign of life (Hit/sputter/pop/whatever) which I'm sure it will once I get it all setup to test. That will tell me what I'll need to do next based on how it does for that.

I built the engine YEARS ago (Spring 88) - Yes, it's been around that long as is.
Car was parked in 2000 and has been sitting until now.

Since the engine was healthy when parked I'm not really worried about having to build it as is but if the need is there I'll do it (Again).

Plenty left to do just to make it move under it's own power again but I'm in no hurry to get it done.

Didn't list this in the earlier post:
Engine: Originally a 429 with .030 over forged aluminum pistons and stroked to 466 CID with DOVE heads, Cobra Jet camshaft and a rare set of Cobra Jet exhaust manifolds.

Trans: Heavy duty C6

Not a standard C6 most would find - A common C6 has three foward clutches, this one has five of them.

It came from an old cop car.

9-inch rears with 3:00 gears.

More later - Probrably much later but whatever goes I'll share.

Ratrod power.JPG

DSCF5882.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

12 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

UPDATE:
Aftter finding this under the hood (Ratrod powwwah!) it's at the shop and work has started - SLOWLY but it's being done.

Yeah we're gonna need some more pics please

Yeah, that took some doing to get cleared out but basically none got in the engine.
No pics ATM but once I get it to run I'll post a vid of how it runs and sounds.

As said, that may be awhile but once I'm at that point I'll do it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Don't even need a carb really, just shoot some gas down the throat. As long as it's not wide open throttle it should sputter and run for a moment, long enough to clatter some oil up to the lifters. Might want to pull the dist and run the oil pump with a drill first though.