Help me build a server for 2 tesla p 40 also a new laptop

Budget (including currency):$1000 +$500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: one is for ai and hosting and the other for a laptop to enjoy the internet

Other details can you help me build a server for ai and self hosting I just ordered 2 tesla p40 and need a server for them I picked a Dell poweredge 730 with 36 cores 256 ram and 8 1 lbs for under 1000 the only thing is it a server that would be loud... I need a server that can use 2 p 40 and I also want to know what's a good laptop my just died I mainly  us it for discord youtube coding and some times rocket league if you respond please say server or laptop as a header thank you

The PowerEdge R730 isn't that loud for a 2RU server. You'll just need a 1000w power supply or two, plus the "alternate" riser (part number 800JH) and two of the appropriate power cables to run those GPUs.

One RTX 3060 is going to run circles around those P40s though. The only advantage they have is their 24 GB of VRAM. Computationally, they're much slower because they're basically GTX 1080tis and don't have Tensor cores. I've run dual OEM RTX 3060 12 GB cards in an R730 chassis before. You have to ramp the fans up a bit extra because they're not as free-flowing as Tesla cards, but they work. One R730 with two RTX 3060s folding as hard as they can drew around 400 watts. I covered the underside of the server lid with tape to make sure nothing shorted against the GPUs (there's not much clearance so that can happen if you place something heavy on them and the lid deflects).

For a laptop at that price range, I always recommend an off-lease corporate model like a ThinkPad or Dell Latitude. They're made better than anything you'll find at a big-box store for the same price.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

So skip those p40's as even a rtx 3050 will shit on both togheter as these are just old and slower cards.

As @Needfuldoer said pretty pointless gpu's when budget stuff from today EASILY beats both and then some.

I hope you didnt pay more than 400 for that r730 becauae else thats honestly quite expensive. Can quite easily do a normal desktop workstation hp z840 or dell t7810 with some 18c xeon v4's and stuff for 500 and it will be actually quiet.

However that wont run teslas as they need forced airflow. But again those teslas are quite useless compared to anything of the rtx era.