(Sorry, but Not SORRY. Microsoft AMA about much wanted features) Tali Roth, Says Moving the taskbar is not worth the effort to implement

darknessblade

Summary

Tali Roth, Microsoft's Head of Product Says Features like Moving the taskbar to the left or right side of your desktop screen is not a important feature

Quotes

Microsoft recently held an Ask Me Anything (AMA) session on YouTube, where engineering and product teams answered questions about the latest features and capabilities in Windows 11. One of the discussed topics was the option to move the taskbar to the top or sides of the screen. If you have been waiting for this feature, bad news: Microsoft thinks moving the taskbar is not important enough, and, most likely, this feature is not coming any time soon.

My thoughts

Can someone please start a Petition to get " Tali Roth" FIRED. this is a feature many people want in windows 11 and have been using for decades.

Claiming apps and programs cannot work with it is UTTER BS. since this has been working fine for AGES, even on Windows 10, there have been no issues at all, even with using Full screen store apps.

Even I use this feature DAILY on every PC and laptop I have. it is really nice having a easy to use list of all programs, folders, etc.

Like when moving about 5+TB from external disks to a NAS disk its easy to have all folders open in a easy to use list {not looking at the TAB feature they implemented in windows 11} as I can open folders in a easy to read list in order of what File goes to what "Temp Folder on my NAS".  before checking all files for duplicates using programs like Windir.

Sources

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-says-changing-taskbar-location-in-windows-11-is-not-important/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-11-be-adding-the-feature-to-move-our/7336b19f-6d22-4eb1-9d74-234b882793ae

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Microsoft has telemetry data for how many people use certain features, they are prioritizing based off of that. I am annoyed that it can't be moved. I prefer to have my taskbar on my left monitor only (bottom) while having my middle monitor be the default display where fullscreen apps open by default.

I'm staying on Windows 10 for as long as I flipping can...

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Microsoft is a incompetent company they should all be fired. MacOS & Linux get updated every year or so, windows got updated after nearly 5

Apple isn't better either, they're all just a bunch of collage MBAs focused on squeezing out the bucks. Hence the high prices.

Linux lacks vision. Companies like Adobe & the rest of the gang don't care about it

So F em all bro use smart fridge OS

Putting to a random spot on the video and I landed on Paul Barr saying what are his favorite shortcuts. Wanna take a guess which was the shortcut this team wanted to really highlight? The Win+Shift+S for snipping tool? The Win+. for emojis? Nope.

Win+F for Feedback Hub to give the Microsoft team feedback, that's very useful shortcut to highlight because our feedback is so valuable and you get to directly give it to Microsoft...

And I'm being 110% sarcastic here, that is probably the least useful shortcut ever created right after, I don't even know, every shortcut coming to my mind is at least somewhat useful, even the emoji context menu. But directly opening Microsoft Feedback Hub? Maybe if you work at Microsoft it comes handy but for normal user, even enterprise user that is completely useless shortcut. You can write Microsoft feedback and be happy about that but it doesn't mean Microsoft would even read your feedback and probably 99% of feedback is just keyword searched and send right to archive and forgotten there. Maybe if you have Microsoft ugly sweater and belong to the "dancing on the stage is hip and Microsoft rulez 4ever"-fan club, the janitor at Microsoft might take a look and chuckle a bit how you just completely wasted your time, but it ever causing anything more than move to archive? Probably if there were extreme amount of feedback using exact same keywords a light in the attic of Microsoft HQ might start blinking (if it still works) but at that point the whole internet has already screamed at Microsoft at least a week straight to do at least something and leaving more feedback is completely pointless, again.

13 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Hey, someone in Redmond worked really hard on building that void for us to shout into. 😞

I know, I am sure to leave them feedback on how great job they did 👏👏👏

3 hours ago, darknessblade said:

My thoughts

Can someone please start a Petition to get " Tali Roth" FIRED. this is a feature many people want in windows 11 and have been using for decades.

Claiming apps and programs cannot work with it is UTTER BS. since this has been working fine for AGES, even on Windows 10, there have been no issues at all, even with using Full screen store apps.

Even I use this feature DAILY on every PC and laptop I have. it is really nice having a easy to use list of all programs, folders, etc.

I recently (like last year) wound up moving the taskbar to the top of the screen because it's more comfortable at that eye level.

That said, Microsoft is right. There are frequently applications, particularly "windowed full screen" type of applications that assume they can start at 0,0 on the screen, and end up with the entire menu behind the taskbar, so you can't move the app, you have to move the task bar to the right so it forces a resize, and then drag it back. Presumably in 11 they changed something so that the desktop applications can't intrude on the taskbar space, like in OSX, maybe it's some crappy webview nonsense built into the taskbar and that keeps it from being moved since it would cause all the reflow to be in the wrong place.

At any rate, it's not a feature I care that much about, but it would be more frustrating to not be able to move it since applications still insist on taking up the entire screen real estate, and alt-tabbing doesn't bring the taskbar back in those applications.

44 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Can anyone tell me what new features they added to windows 11 over windows 10 that would actually justify the switch to windows 11? Because so far it sounds like they took windows 10 and made a worse copy or it. 

So far the only thing that I really like in W11 is AutoHDR. Some games actually look really good, haven't had a case where it made something look worse. There are some details in system apps that have been reworked for the better but nothing worth upgrading for.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Can anyone tell me what new features they added to windows 11 over windows 10 that would actually justify the switch to windows 11? Because so far it sounds like they took windows 10 and made a worse copy or it. 

They have quietly made Direct Storage require Windows 11.

The docking thing for laptops seems cool but not everybody has laptops or unplugs/plugs them into monitors often.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

auto hdr (bassically same as on xbox now)
better (less buggy) hdr implementation all around
much better window managment (windows remember where they should be when monitors are plugged/unplugged, way to set a monitor snap to without a 3rd party program)
WSA (really cool for some things like finally having audible on desktop)
Better settings app (more in the settings app, less need to go into control pannel)
better store implementation (more things that arent windows update through the store (ms gaming services  think is one) , should cause less windows update being disabled breaks everything)

better support for toutchscreen (bassically making toutch targets bigger, while keeping buttons the same)

Direct Storage (should come to windows 10 a bit later tho)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

The above threads are the whole list of what has been released publically at this point.

When are they implementing dragging and dropping files between apps by hovering the file over the application icon on the taskbar?

It irks me whenever I have to upload a file to something in the browser and I have to get around this limitation by forcing me to make the windows side by side to do it.

3 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

much better window managment (windows remember where they should be when monitors are plugged/unplugged, way to set a monitor snap to without a 3rd party program)
Better settings app (more in the settings app, less need to go into control pannel)
better store implementation (more things that arent windows update through the store (ms gaming services  think is one) , should cause less windows update being disabled breaks everything)

better support for toutchscreen (bassically making toutch targets bigger, while keeping buttons the same)

Not gonna lie all of those things seem like minor things and compared to what was removed and the other problems with windows 11 it just doesn't seem like a good tradeoff.

It's incredible how W11 makes sticking to W10 look like the better option.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I have an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor and I multitask with it.

I play games on 4:3 aspect ratio window borderless on the left and some other stuff running on the right side in the background.

Being able to move the taskbar to the right side allow me to use the much needed vertical space for gaming and multitasking.

1111.png

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

When are they implementing dragging and dropping files between apps by hovering the file over the application icon on the taskbar?

It irks me whenever I have to upload a file to something in the browser and I have to get around this limitation by forcing me to make the windows side by side to do it.

Done. Insiders have it.

Uh...if it's so difficult to implement then why is my taskbar already on the right?

Whoever came up with the icon-only taskbar is a fucking retard.  Like why even have the taskbar then if you expect your users do zero multitasking?

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Odd moves they do. While I don't care about this though, really baffling how they remove or ruin even certain things. Really I question how do they use Windows even. Do they do heavy multitasking even back and forth, have things be less clicks than needed? Or they use it like a tablet for whatever reason. 

Anyway, not my Tali

Tali'Zorah.png

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

35 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Uh...if it's so difficult to implement then why is my taskbar already on the right?

Whoever came up with the icon-only taskbar is a fucking retard.  Like why even have the taskbar then if you expect your users do zero multitasking?

Windows 11 has a new code base for its taskbar, and introduces touch gestures that would need to be adapted based in the taskbar location. It has more of them under Insider program.

It's not that it is impossible to do, or super time consuming. A few months of work focused on it, can make it all happen. It's just not a priority for Microsoft.

Considering that the taskbar on the right and left, since Windows 7, carries the same bugs and same limitations that don't exist when the taskbar is at the bottom, all the way to today under Windows 10, shows how little people actually move the taskbar.

Microsoft priorities it's work based on telemetry data. This is why Windows 8 introduced many multiscreen improvements, and expanded further with Windows 10, multiscreen setup has grown notably since. Previously, Microsoft didn't care. Taskbar was on one screen only. Wallpaper was the same as on the main.

In this case, Microsoft prefer to focus on its GUI, to be more consistent, dark theme everywhere, tabs in File Explore, move more Control Panel to Settings, continue to improve Windows Terminal, and various IT features for remote work environment, then supporting taskbar location.

As for the icon only, introduced done Win 7 it is widely used. In fact, I never saw, beside myself, anyone using the title next to icons since. Not in classroom, not when I worked as IT, not in the work place as a software developer. Already had discussion with people.. in their view, they don't need titles, they just hover on the icon, then hover on the preview, and it brings in large, in front of them, what they are looking for and click on it. Their arguments is that title is useless, all they nearly all show the program name. The name is so long that to the file/project loaded name is cut off many times. Also got as a response that it takes less space on it, so more is visible.

17 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

As for the icon only, introduced done Win 7 it is widely used. In fact, I never saw, beside myself, anyone using the title next to icons since. Not in classroom, not when I worked as IT, not in the work place as a software developer. Already had discussion with people.. in their view, they don't need titles, they just hover on the icon, then hover on the preview, and it brings in large, in front of them, what they are looking for and click on it. Their arguments is that title is useless, all they nearly all show the program name. The name is so long that to the file/project loaded name is cut off many times.

Easiest example: open 4 emails in Outlook.  Good luck finding which is which with the default setup off thumbnails hidden under a hover.  Shit drives me up the wall when I have to use someone else's computer where we work in multiple remote desktop sessions or have multiple scripts open or whatever where a thumbnail is useless so you end up having to click through all of them.  

I objectively can't think of why anyone would want that.  To make more room to have more programs open?  The type of person who can work with icon only is the same basic user who is never going to have more than a handful of things open at a time.

If I were speculating, someone decided that touchscreens were going to be the future (narrator: they were wrong) and they started doing a bunch of shit to make it so you could interact with the OS with your fingers.  Windows 8 I recall being absolute dogshit because they tried so hard to ram everything into a tablet friendly format.  And we're suffering for whatever person made this decision to this day.  It's why settings menus and everything are still a jumbled mess: "just organize everything under another layer of a big button."  Until you now have to go through 3 giant buttons to get to the old mouse-only interface that actually works to change something.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

The settings app is in my opinion still complete and utter garbage.

Unlike the Control-panel I cannot open multiple windows or have the "Godmode control panel" listed with every feature, in a easy to search list. when dealing with something like a network issue. {Like you accidentally enabling IPV6 settings, when your PC is not suitable for having this enabled}

Having the "Godmode" control panel on the left side and open each network settings menu in a new windows is much easier as you can make trouble shooting much faster, by having 5+ windows open.

Then it is:

1 Have all network settings menu's open, 

2 eliminate setting by setting, till the issue is solved.

3 fix the issue

4 close the open menu's

In the settings app its

1 go to network settings

2 go to IPV4 settings

3 misclick and you are back at network settings, or a entirely different menu

4 go back to IPV4 settings

5 try something

6 it failed

7 go back to network settings

8 try the next networking feature/setting

9 Rinse and repeat. till the issue is solved

3 hours ago, rcarlos243 said:

I have an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor and I multitask with it.

I play games on 4:3 aspect ratio window borderless on the left and some other stuff running on the right side in the background.

Being able to move the taskbar to the right side allow me to use the much needed vertical space for gaming and multitasking.

1111.png

I have 2 27 inch 4K display's and I have it on the right side as well.

"The right monitor is my main monitor"

while the left one has other info, like the browser, for a walkthrough for a annoying sub-mission of a game that takes 10 special items each in a weird location, or Cheatcodes [to mess around with games like Roller coaster Tycoon 3, So its copy paste, and you're done]

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

We had the ability to move taskbars, rearrange things and disable them for freaking 30+ years. And now it's suddenly "not worth the effort". Microsoft, kindly f**k off with this BS.