Need help updating a phone from w8.1 to w10

Helpful Tech Witch

This topic is super in between sub forums, it involves a phone, running windows, and a issue with a windows app to get it working. I chose windows, but if a moderator thinks it fits in better somewhere else feel free to move it.

I had to recover my Lumia Icon with WDRT, as it was running a pre release windows 10 insider builf from 2014 and was super unstable, it would just restart in the middle of the night on my desk.

Unfortunatly, its now running a windows 8.1 build, and as such its missing support for a lot of the tools for jailbreak and such, so i cant mod the os in any way with Interop Tools or vReg, and theres no way to sideload apps from what I can find.

Fortunatly, theres a Win10 offline update project, Win10oup. 

I tried it, and it downloads the required files, and pushes them to the device, so i used that.

When it starts the update, it gets around to the 10% mark on prepairing updates, but then it fails.

Ive got the logs, ive added all of them, plus the one I think is the right one is marked.

Any one got an idea whats up and how to fix it? I can provide more info if someone needs it.

error_report_20210811_081746.cab error_report_20210811_091455.cab log_20210810_205414.cab log_20210811_081746.cab log_20210811_091455.cab log_20210811_091935.cab right one i think.cab

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, konstant213 said:

In logs what you provided was this error code 0x801882C1  what is 0x801882C1 E_CABAPI_NOT_CABINET BTS_E_PER_APP_REQUEST_LIMIT_REACHED
and after searching in ethernet i found this tread on xda https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-10-mobile-for-lumia-630.3438107/

Well I’m sorry I wasted your time, I forgot to update this thread, I only updated the thread you made on xda.

I was able to fix the issue by reflashing the stock rom in wdrt, then trying again. It’s fine.

it’s actually updated to 1603, trying to get it to the December 2019 update

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Good for you that you successfully updated; what exactly model do you have ?  (just curious).

Just now, konstant213 said:

Good for you that you successfully updated; what exactly model do you have ?  (just curious).

It’s a limia Icon (929), model RM-927 white

I believe it’s a Verision exclusive model

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, konstant213 said:

Hey, do you happen to know the reg edits i need to do to get past 10.0.14393.2551?

I found a video on how to do the required reg updates, they were updating to 10.0.15063.297, then 10.0.15063.1868, but they had a reg edit file that used to be on the xda Win10oup project. Im looking in the old versions files, but the mega scources are taking hours.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Can't you install win 11?

Not that I know?

I don’t know if this is a joke or not, I know some people have installed the windows 11 builds on lumia x50 phones, but those are very different to others. 
and those are full desktop oses, so it’s not going to be great.

I did install he newest possible windows 10 build, though, windows 10 2020-1b, the early January 2020 final security oatch

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Not that I know?

I don’t know if this is a joke or not, I know some people have installed the windows 11 builds on lumia x50 phones, but those are very different to others. 
and those are full desktop oses, so it’s not going to be great.

I did install he newest possible windows 10 build, though, windows 10 2020-1b, the early January 2020 final security oatch

Yeah sorry I forgot win 11 is quite demanding, it would probably not work.

10 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

It would probably work, but windows 11 would need a unlocked bootloader, you need a version of windows 11 compiled for arm, and then im using a os for a desktop on a like 4 inch screen

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

Win11 runs on my Lumia 950 XL. But battery drains occur, despite being plugged in when the system isn't sleeping. While the CPU % under Task Manager isn't high, the power saving feature isn't working at all. I don't think it works under Win10 either.

Performance wise it is a mix bag. You do gain x86-64 support (that has arrived to Win10 insider builds, no sure), and you do gain support for apps that are mixed ARM64 and x86/x86-64. There is a performance gain, albeit, minor, when running non ARM64 apps, but the OS is heavier. I had to tweak it and disable a lot of things, including security feature to come close to Win10 performance. I never planned to keep Win11 on it. It is all an educational project for me.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Win11 runs on my Lumia 950 XL. But battery drains occur, despite being plugged in when the system isn't sleeping. While the CPU % under Task Manager isn't high, the power saving feature isn't working at all. I don't think it works under Win10 either.

Performance wise it is a mix bag. You do gain x86-64 support (that has arrived to Win10 insider builds, no sure), and you do gain support for apps that are mixed ARM64 and x86/x86-64. There is a performance gain, albeit, minor, when running non ARM64 apps, but the OS is heavier. I had to tweak it and disable a lot of things, including security feature to come close to Win10 performance. I never planned to keep Win11 on it. It is all an educational project for me.

Huh, how do you get x86 support? Isnt it a arm phone?

Also do you know if theres a way to install w10 or 11 on a rm927? That sounds like something that could be interesting, but all I can see is how to do is on a 950

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Huh, how do you get x86 support? Isnt it a arm phone?

Windows 10 on ARM has x86 (32-bit) instruction translation support.

Windows 11 on ARM (should be coming to Win10 as well, as it started there) has not only x86 support, but also x86-64 (64-bit) instruction support.

Note that passing through the translation layer is taxing on the CPU, even for the Surface Pro X series which has a considerably faster processor.

It's best to stay with ARM64 native applications.

Also do you know if theres a way to install w10 or 11 on a rm927? That sounds like something that could be interesting, but all I can see is how to do is on a 950

Well, my phone got the notification that it has been kicked out of the Insider Program of Win11, as it doesn't have the required specs (also crashes a lot).

I planned to return it to Win10 on it in any case. I would lose on the much improved touch experience, but whatever, it is just all educational for me.

Truthfully, Windows 10 barely runs fine on the Lumia 950 XL. A big issue is the lack of proper drivers. Shadows are even broken (appears all wrong). 

The 950 non-XL has a slower SoC, and it is even worse. I doubt that your Lumia Icon with the Snapdragon 800 would have a chance. For reference, my pone with the 810, cannot play a 360p YouTube Video... like, it is a slide show. I tried 240p as well... still not good. Of course, it had no issue under Windows 10 Mobile. So, the driver issue is real, and I think the only reason the community got the 950XL somewhere, the little it has as support, is because someone leaked out or discovered some early Win10 Qualcomm Engineering drivers. Probably made for the development of Windows 10 Mobile, or for Microsoft to evaluate the feasibility of a Snapdragon 810 running Windows 10 on ARM. As for wireless, Bluetooth (which disconnects often), modem, and all that, is because of the community that built them up in some fashion. Those are probably far simpler to make then a GPU driver. The community size is not big enough to have that move forward, I don't think.

Overall, it is a cool little show and conversational piece, but nothing more. 

https://woa-project.github.io/LumiaWOA/status/

In my case, just because I have 1 monitor, to help my setup a bit, I have MagicMirror running on my NAS, and have Edge loaded up with the website to it which I run full screen. I use it as a calendar, and Spotify remote. I have it on my stand. I could use a phone, but, being always turned on, I prefer to rune my old phone OLED screen then my current one. The moment the monitor I want comes out in my region, and I can buy 2 of them (so probably by 2060), I will retire my Lumia 950XL. It will go on my shelf.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It would probably work, but windows 11 would need a unlocked bootloader, you need a version of windows 11 compiled for arm, and then im using a os for a desktop on a like 4 inch screen

It actually isn't very much more power hungry than Windows 10. It's pretty much just got a new UI. I'm running it right now on a laptop from 2011, with hardly any lag.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅