(Sorry, but Not SORRY. Microsoft AMA about much wanted features) Tali Roth, Says Moving the taskbar is not worth the effort to implement

darknessblade
On 4/14/2022 at 7:07 PM, LAwLz said:

People are upset because people want to use Windows, but Microsoft are ruining it.

"Just switch OS" is like saying "just get a new friend" if your friend becomes an alcoholic. The first step should be to tell your friend "hey, stop what you are doing. This is bad. Let's go back to how things were before, when things were good".

Your first instinct to something bad should not be "I am going to severe all ties I have with this without even voicing a complaint or explain why I am doing it".

Are you seriously comparing a tool to a friend? Windows, like every other OS, is a tool to accomplish something. If said tool doesn't work for what you want, you replace said tool with something that works for you. Also, it's not the first time Windows users threw a fit for some change that MS did. MS continued doing so and people kept using it, so they "adapted". You didn't stop your "friend" from being alcoholic, you just continue to tolerate and then accept it.

Imagine calling a feature we had for basically 30 years as "not worth implementing". You lazy clowns, why have you removed it in the first place?!

what I would call a feature with newer versions of windows from windows 7 and before.

Download everything, remove nothing.

How broken each time I search in windows 10, only suggesting in each UI window of using the edge browser...

Not finding the files, unlike what I could in windows 7. Automatic installing, even of the wrong drivers and has it's mind of it's own. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. (also when it does find a file, it doesn't allow you to it's location) ffs.

Not able to pause or disable downloads for windows, is if they do install something, don't get notified and don't have the option to do anything. One of the reasons I went away from Norton anti-virus (it has done a decent job a decade ago when using, just minor issues), less options in dealing with a situation and forced to use their garbage methods to go around dealing with it or give up.

Edited by Quackers101

1 hour ago, braiam said:

Are you seriously comparing a tool to a friend? Windows, like every other OS, is a tool to accomplish something. If said tool doesn't work for what you want, you replace said tool with something that works for you. Also, it's not the first time Windows users threw a fit for some change that MS did. MS continued doing so and people kept using it, so they "adapted". You didn't stop your "friend" from being alcoholic, you just continue to tolerate and then accept it.

1) It was an analogy. 

2) The whole "just replace the tool with someone that works for you" assumes there is actually a tool that suites my needs perfectly. The problem is that there is no perfect OS, so you have to take the good with the bads. Right now, I think windows suites my needs better than GNU/Linux (on my desktop). 

Anyway, I think the whole "don't complain, just stop using it" is stupid. 

On 4/11/2022 at 6:36 PM, DANK_AS_gay said:

I don't think my screen is HDR capable anyways, so I don't understand the hype. I've never owned anything that is great at color accuracy and contrast ratio besides a Mac, and it looks gorgeous, but when gaming I wouldn't notice anyways.

If you get a chance to check out a mini LED MBP, do yourself a favour and look at some HDR content on YouTube. It looks ridiculously good (I’m quite sure OLED is better, never used an OLED display that size to compare), bloom is only noticeable on completely black screens with white text on.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Anyway, I think the whole "don't complain, just stop using it" is stupid. 

Replacing an OS isn’t a good analogy for replacing a tool IMO. Changing to a different OS also means using new software suites or battling with Wine/Crossover.

11 hours ago, Paul Thexton said:

battling with Wine/Crossover

Ah yes because battling with MS and their shenanigans is so much easier.....

37 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Ah yes because battling with MS and their shenanigans is so much easier.....

It’s easier to use software on an operating system it was intended to be used on. Wine/Crossover is very good but it’s not and never will be flawless.

To be clear I think people should always consider switching if their current OS is frustrating them, but if you’re a professional rather than a hobbyist then it’s actually a significant and potentially disruptive decision to make.

7 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

It’s easier to use software on an operating system it was intended to be used on. Wine/Crossover is very good but it’s not and never will be flawless.

To be clear I think people should always consider switching if their current OS is frustrating them, but if you’re a professional rather than a hobbyist then it’s actually a significant and potentially disruptive decision to make.

Its also disruptive when the OS update wipes partitions/folders on your computer.... At least with wine you have to do it once, where as windows is a continuous struggle...

27 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

where as windows is a continuous struggle...

I’m not disagreeing with you on that.

But let’s not be idiots here and pretend like broken updates can’t happen on Mac or Linux.

17 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

But let’s not be idiots here and pretend like broken updates can’t happen on Mac or Linux.

Thats pretty obvious, no system is perfect. But i think we are at the point where windows is simply too much of a pain in the rear, question is when it will hit ppl's nerves hard enough to make them switch. This might sound rude but to me it seems like most ppl are masochist and put up with anything just so they dont have to learn anything new.

23 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

This might sound rude but to me it seems like most ppl are masochist and put up with anything just so they dont have to learn anything new.

Literally the only reason I have to occasionally run Windows for personal stuff is the occasional bit of gaming. I’m not a big gamer. For people who are I think it’s a big reason for them to stick with it, hopefully Valve keep making strides with Proton.

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

question is when it will hit ppl's nerves hard enough to make them switch. This might sound rude but to me it seems like most ppl are masochist

i think its pretty clear people don't want to switch one pita with another one that might be worse...

I've gone over this many times, Linux doesn't have the support windows has, not even close and not even from foss, and then there's the whole archaic ui thing...

get ms to open source their apis , make a cool modern functional ui... people will do the switch right there

But, of course, those aren't easy tasks,  I know.

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

so they dont have to learn anything new.

i think its not that, people just dont like to regress,  in options,  in usability,  in "overall feel". 

Professional mainstream OS's definitely have some kind of "bling factor" that Linux lacks, you shouldn't underestimate this either.

7 hours ago, Paul Thexton said:

hopefully Valve keep making strides with Proton.

They're literally the only ones trying... issue is going by the Steam client,  modern UI isnt exactly their strength,  however I wish them all the best with Proton and i agree, it looks already promising in terms of support  / performance.  

@jagdtigger hey maybe its a genX thing, but we really don't like going backwards 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i think its pretty clear people don't want to switch one pita with another one that might be worse...

I wont repeat things said in the previous pages. Use case dependent, and contrary to your belief for the majority it can be a viable alternative without any pain at all. (Just introduced my dad to kubuntu because windows as usual became slow and wanted me to reinstall it. Offered him the option to try it and he accepted it, so far havent heard him complaining even though he only uses a live session. Seems like one less windows machine in the house. [He is not tech-savvy by any standards BTW.])

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

I wont repeat things said in the previous pages. Use case dependent, and contrary to your belief for the majority it can be a viable alternative without any pain at all. (Just introduced my dad to kubuntu because windows as usual became slow and wanted me to reinstall it. Offered him the option to try it and he accepted it, so far havent heard him complaining even though he only uses a live session. Seems like one less windows machine in the house. [He is not tech-savvy by any standards BTW.])

oh, i get that... for mainly text based stuff, web surfing, etc,  Linux is probably fine, I just see this always from a gaming perspective and its just too much hassle, stuff that almost guaranteed wont work,  etc... at least its progressing in the right direction i guess. But I admit my view on this is quite narrow... not at least because i made my windows 90% how i want it, stuff "just works" and everything is where i want pretty much, no annoying popups or mysterioys background processes... all i really still want is a "XMB" kinda thing lol... (VISTA and maybe XP of all things had that already... oof) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I just see this always from a gaming perspective and its just too much hassle, stuff that almost guaranteed wont work

Well actually that is also up for a huge change, valve really did a huge favor for linux gaming with proton and native titles. Maybe its time you give it a try again... 😄

On 4/11/2022 at 4:49 AM, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

much better window managment (windows remember where they should be when monitors are plugged/unplugged, way to set a monitor snap to without a 3rd party program)

holy fucking shit I'm upgrading right now

no but seriously I've been waiting for this since 2015 and it's a travesty 10 never got this basic feature or at least the option to disable the awful automatic screen detection...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

holy fucking shit I'm upgrading right now

no but seriously I've been waiting for this since 2015 and it's a travesty 10 never got this basic feature or at least the option to disable the awful automatic screen detection...

This was like one of the bigger things about windows 11.

I’ve not used it personally, both monitors almost always stay plugged in, unless Im

working with my rpi and ssh isn’t working

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

This was like one of the bigger things about windows 11.

I’ve not used it personally, both monitors almost always stay plugged in, unless Im

working with my rpi and ssh isn’t working

You'd think that would be enough, but have you ever used a 4k displayport monitor? when you turn those off windows decides it should assume the monitor is gone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 hours ago, Paul Thexton said:

If you get a chance to check out a mini LED MBP, do yourself a favour and look at some HDR content on YouTube. It looks ridiculously good (I’m quite sure OLED is better, never used an OLED display that size to compare), bloom is only noticeable on completely black screens with white text on.

Are the normal M1 MBA screens HDR compatable?

3 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Are the normal M1 MBA screens HDR compatable?

Apple says it should be/is, but I’m thinking you won’t be getting deep blacks on the panel.

On 4/10/2022 at 11:18 PM, darknessblade said:

this is a feature many people want in windows 11 and have been using for decades

Honestly, these "many people" are wrong. If I see one of those idiots pulling this shit one more time, I'm gonna take their brain and park it sideways within their head too. I don't know what that means, so don't ask, but I'll do it!

The only people that are worse, are the ones that then also hide the bloody thing.

The next time some dude walks in with a hidden and sideways task bar and asks for support, I'll go and take his body, put it sideways in my trunk and make him disappear too. 

Moving the Windows Taskbar Back to the Bottom

On 4/11/2022 at 2:43 PM, Brooksie359 said:

battery life alone could make their laptops worth it

The MacBook Air M1 has a 20 hour battery life (maybe longer). It is $1000. The highest end Macbook has a 20 hour battery life. it is 4000-6000 (IDK, I don't have the money, so why bother looking it up?). The higher end one would be a rip-off. MacBooks (besides the Air) are great for video editors, but for the common user the high end ones are rip-offs.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

You'd think that would be enough, but have you ever used a 4k displayport monitor? when you turn those off windows decides it should assume the monitor is gone.

Hm…

thats weird, any monitors I’ve used windows knows are still plugged in when they turn off

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler