Microsoft bids goodbye to Calibri font and asks users to vote on a new one

WolframaticAlpha

Summary

After nearly 15 years of service, theCalibri font face is being replaced by Microsoft. Calibri will no longer be the default font face used by Microsoft. Microsoft is planning to replace Calibri with one of 6 other fonts . These are named: Tenorite, Bierstadt, Skeena, Seaford, and Grandview. Calibri will still be available in office.

image.thumb.png.9e9892904d3bb8a95a95d8bddcb85f2c.png

Quotes

Default fonts are designed to be unobtrusive and adaptable, and Calibri has served that role capably. It renders well on just about any screen, at any size, but it still has a bit of character. Its subtle curves make it a bit warmer than its blocky sans serif cousins Helvetica and Arial, two designer favorites that are famous — or infamous, in some circles — for their brutal simplicity and balanced stroke weight. (Sans serif means no curly bits at the ends of the letters)

My thoughts

I hated Calibri. But now I feel that it was a pretty ok font. Imo, Tensorite looks like the best font. But Microsoft without Calibri is weird. Calibri is MS, like Neo Sans Intel is intel, Fira is Google and San Francisco is Apple. Imo, MS should actually continue using the same font, cuz it sets them apart. RIP, Calibri, you did a good job at making documents look more profesh.

Personally my favourite brand font is Intel's big bold Neo Sans Intel

Sources

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/28/business/microsoft-font-default-calibri/index.html

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2021/04/28/beyond-calibri-finding-microsofts-next-default-font/

I wish they would fix this UI/UX mess that is called Windows 10 instead of trying to find a new font.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I like Tenorite best, Bierstadt looks ok too. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to them keeping Calibri though. Is this the default font for their logo, or for Windows and Microsoft products in general?

Personally, my favourite logo font right now is Intel's with their 11th gen chips. It just looks very modern and is a big step away from their old design, whilst still remaining true to it, which I like.

Intel unveils new logos, 11th Gen 'Tiger Lake' CPUs

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

I think they should switch to this.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Why?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

I'm just glad this isn't an open poll where we'd end up with comic sans..

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Fucking finally. Calibri is sooo ugly, especially on Word man.  

Just now, duncannah said:

Is this really a good way to show off a font?

yes, because it's bright, colourful and modern.

what would you expect? A picture where all letters and symbold are displayed in upper and lower case? haha who would use that?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Comic Sans. Because only a clown cares more about font than fixing really dumb shit in Windows. Like trainwreck of mishmashed languages when you want to use US English for Windows interface, but you're not from US...

Times New Roman, 12pt, MLA format. No exceptions. I will reduce your grade 10pts for every source you fail to include - minimum of 10 sources. 15 page minimum - no exceptions. You have three minutes and twelve seconds to complete.

33 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Is this really a good way to show off a font? Maybe show it used on normal text instead of stuff like this...

image.thumb.png.71583d7fc6ade8afe560f316630bf0af.pngimage.thumb.png.87e85062bb2a99fadc02b51aeef1dffb.png

29 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

yes, because it's bright, colourful and modern.

what would you expect? A picture where all letters and symbold are displayed in upper and lower case? haha who would use that?

They did properly show off the fonts, just not in their blog.

image.png.d69dad1e8eab399e590e2d5559a66933.png

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Comic Sans. Because only a clown cares more about font than fixing really dumb shit in Windows. Like trainwreck of mishmashed languages when you want to use US English for Windows interface, but you're not from US...

I suppose you don't understand that the people that work on developing office aren't the exact same people that work on Windows.

It's time for the internet to come together and demand WingDings becomes the new font. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Papyrus

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Instead of screenshotting a tweet, please link the tweet so it embeds LOL!

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Papyrus

https://linustechtips.com/uploads/monthly_2021_04/602328458_whenyoucanteven.jpg.6edd3abf717a786f44c3d5eabce36491.jpg

I think they should take Bierstadt just because of the name.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

image.thumb.png.b671d2023265d5d8edee78d4b42de538.png

Is it wrong if I can barely even tell any difference between them?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

31 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I kinda like Grandview. It's the one that fucks with my dyslexia the least out of those options.

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I kinda like Grandview. It's the one that fucks with my dyslexia the least out of those options.

Have you  tried dislexie font?  I'm interested to know if it helps reading.  It seems like a good concept but I'm not dyslexic enough to notice.  Most fonts just look the same to me, especially the ones they're polling about here. 

50 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Times New Roman, 12pt, MLA format. No exceptions. I will reduce your grade 10pts for every source you fail to include - minimum of 10 sources. 15 page minimum - no exceptions. You have three minutes and twelve seconds to complete.

Times New Roman, 10pt, 1.5 spacing. 

I would say everyone should use San Francisco for everything, but its a sans-serif font so lowercase l and capital I have no distinction so its kinda trash for reading passwords. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

They are all reasonable options.

Bierstadt and Tenorite seem like the more likely ones to be selected in my opinion; Grandview is a bit too thin, Seaford a bit too wide, and Skeena would be refreshing for a default font, but I think it's uniqueness would be too polarizing for some.

45 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Is it wrong if I can barely even tell any difference between them?

Yes. The differences are fairly subtle, but still quite apparent.

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I suppose you don't understand that the people that work on developing office aren't the exact same people that work on Windows.

Send Office people to fix Windows shit that's broken for years because clearly someone isn't doing their god damn job there.