Microsoft bids goodbye to Calibri font and asks users to vote on a new one

WolframaticAlpha

It doesn't matter, all professors are probably still going to force you to use Times New Roman because we're all still stuck in Office 2003 apparently.

It's worth pointing out that this is only a change to the default font for documents/etc in MS Office, not a change to Windows or even to the font used by the Office UI itself. The others don't use Calibri anyway - the default system font is Segoe UI.

Bierstadt would be my preference - it's clear, legible and doesn't try to do anything radical (cf. the ɑ rather than a in Tenorite, and the variable stroke widths on the e in Sleema), while also not being unnecessarily widely spaced (cf Grandview).

HTTP/2 203

On 5/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, AMD A10-9600P said:

I like Tenorite best, Bierstadt looks ok too. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to them keeping Calibri though. Is this the default font for their logo, or for Windows and Microsoft products in general?

Personally, my favourite logo font right now is Intel's with their 11th gen chips. It just looks very modern and is a big step away from their old design, whilst still remaining true to it, which I like.

Intel unveils new logos, 11th Gen 'Tiger Lake' CPUs

I'm sorry but the e in the intel logo font really bugs me. It just looks weird.

I vote for Courier New.  /s

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I like grandview the best I think. Any font that shows little to no difference between I and l should be trashed. Myanmar Text Regular is my favorite font that I use for everything when adding text to an image in photoshop. Its my favorite font.

I'm sorry... this is irking me, though... but WINDOWS 10 HAS ISSUES! AND WE'RE FOCUSING ON A TYPEFACE THAT'S ONLY LIKE 512kb OF DATA!!!???

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Wait a damn second...my Teams crashes every ten minutes. Outlook freezes when I try to preview an attachment. Excel gives me a random "There's a problem with your workbook" message, and suddenly I can't copy, paste, or see my cursor. Edge is the equivalent of an AR-15 with the barrel facing backwards. And they're going to change a font?!

Goddammit Microsoft.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Wait a damn second...my Teams crashes every ten minutes. Outlook freezes when I try to preview an attachment. Excel gives me a random "There's a problem with your workbook" message, and suddenly I can't copy, paste, or see my cursor. Edge is the equivalent of an AR-15 with the barrel facing backwards. And they're going to change a font?!

Goddammit Microsoft.

Man, that almost sounds like that buggy Evernote plugin; because that lately has been a source of my woes.

Can we have an option called "Fonty McFontyface" and have the internet vote on it?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Grandview looks similar to their latest custom Xbox font, I kinda like it. Tensorite looks basic and has the least character, so that’ll probably win.

I like Bierstadt and Tenorite. Keeps the same calibri essence with its reserved and basic design.

(also because their names are cool, I mean come on!)

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

On 5/3/2021 at 3:52 AM, SansVarnic said:

I vote for Courier New.  /s

It's funny cause that is one of my favourite fonts

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/1/2021 at 3:09 PM, DrMacintosh said:

I would say everyone should use San Francisco for everything, but its a sans-serif font so lowercase l and capital I have no distinction so its kinda trash for reading passwords. 

You should NEVER EVER have to or be able to read password

On 5/1/2021 at 1:20 PM, TetraSky said:

image.thumb.png.b671d2023265d5d8edee78d4b42de538.png

Is it wrong if I can barely even tell any difference between them?

dude its same here, just skeenas s and grandviews and bierstadts M's are different. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

On 5/3/2021 at 4:34 AM, ARikozuM said:

I'm sorry... this is irking me, though... but WINDOWS 10 HAS ISSUES! AND WE'RE FOCUSING ON A TYPEFACE THAT'S ONLY LIKE 512kb OF DATA!!!???

they're not changing anything in windows.  Like @colonel_mortissays: this vote is just the change which font Word opens with and sits you at your document.  The windows default UI font isn't even Calibri.

That being said I like Skeena

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Consolas. At least I would be able to tell the difference.

On 5/1/2021 at 12:52 PM, givingtnt said:

I'm just glad this isn't an open poll where we'd end up with comic sans..

What could ever possibly go wrong with polls?

https://youtu.be/HiTqIyx6tBU

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 hours ago, Franck said:

You should NEVER EVER have to or be able to read password

Uhh, you’re wrong because these things called password managers exist. Also IT admin apps that let me reset my users passwords exist. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Bier or Tenorite since they don't have the dumb fancy lower case g.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

Bierstadt?
Did anyone point out already that this is German for Beertown? Interestingly enough it also looks the best imo.