COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
On 2/28/2021 at 11:37 PM, minibois said:

That was my main concern. Even ignoring the 95% effectiveness (or the 62%, with a large portion of the country who will be getting Moderna), my main concern was people with a vaccine honestly just being unsafe and transmitting it to not vaccinated people.

I predicted this happening (almost) a month in advance..

Today a customer walked up to me (of course with no mask). He walked too close, so I took a step back. He took a step towards me, I took a step back. Then the customer said "Oh don't worry, I have the vaccine!".

Yes sure, you have the vaccine, plus I'm wearing a mask, so you are protected, but not me.

So I just said that bluntly to him "well my mask and your vaccine protect you, but I still have to look out for myself", because who knows where this guy has been, if he's basically acting reckless towards others here.

I hate people often sometimes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yes sure, you have the vaccine, plus I'm wearing a mask, so you are protected, but not me.

I don't think that some most people realize that being vaccinated doesn't mean they can't still transmit.

I'm vaccinated, but I wear my mask.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

I predicted this happening (almost) a month in advance..

Today a customer walked up to me (of course with no mask). He walked too close, so I took a step back. He took a step towards me, I took a step back. Then the customer said "Oh don't worry, I have the vaccine!".

So I just said that bluntly to him "well my mask and your vaccine protect you, but I still have to look out for myself", because who knows where this guy has been, if he's basically acting reckless towards others here.

I hate people often sometimes.

I'm not entirely surprised. A lot of traditional vaccines make you immune to infection to begin with. This one does not necessarily provide the same kind of immunity.

Some people are saying that definitely, vaccinated people can still retransmit. The science is still out on the details, but Pfizer is at least in the process of testing their own vaccine to see what that might look like.

Their current best guess by researchers is that the vaccine significantly reduces but does not eliminate the risk of retransmission.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Outbreak in old people home that killed 8 deemed caused by employees refusing vaccination. 

At the time of the outbreak, 41% of employees had received their first shot, compared to 96% of residents. Only between 15% to 30% participated in non-mandatory screening tests.

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2021/03/19/des-aines-en-chsld-victimes-demployes-recalcitrants-aux-depistages-et-aux-vaccins?fbclid=IwAR2aGqQXaRq0rDmFjv8KYFFB-KB7qWl_AzPokiwCF-QL7IElTJyd19VwJxk

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

In light of the third wave in Europe and everything else, Japan be like :

TOKYO — Spectators from overseas will not be allowed to attend the Summer Olympics in Japan, organizers said on Saturday, making a major concession to the realities of Covid-19 even as they forged ahead with plans to hold the world’s largest sporting event.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/20/world/asia/tokyo-olympics-spectators.html

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

15 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

In light of the third wave in Europe and everything else, Japan be like :

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/20/world/asia/tokyo-olympics-spectators.html

Just cancel the Olympics.

Do Millennials and younger even watch that. 

5 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

I only watched it when Michael Phelps was a thing.

but 4 million tickets have already been sold to Japanese spectators so crowd control still needs to be monitored.

Edited by PhantomJaguar77

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Just cancel the Olympics.

They likely should - there's precedence for them being cancelled before.

Lots of them do, sure. In fact, for many younger people, it's the only sports they do watch.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 3/17/2021 at 1:09 PM, dalekphalm said:

My fiancee had her first shot on Monday - turns out it was Pfizer. Her reaction was very minimal. Her arm became slightly sore about 4  hours after the shot (shot was at around 4 PM, soreness was late in the evening). The next day her arm hurt a bit more but was fine by the evening.

Unfortunately (Thanks Doug), we found out that her appointment to get the 2nd shot is in... July. Fucking July. She has to wait Four months to get the booster shot (Pfizer recommends 21 days between boosters, and specifically recommended that the Government not space them out just to get more people on Shot #1).

Fuck that made me mad when she got the 2nd shot appointment date. All just so that "on paper" it looks like we're vaccinating more people.

Yes, having the 1st shot means she has better protection then nothing, but the booster is what provides the massive immune boost.

Darn, sad to hear the civi side is being screw like that on receiving the vaccine.

I got both of the Moderna ones.  Since I'm mil, they where pretty much, you shall get 2nd on or near 30 day mark.  I mostly got it because most of my relatives are in the higher risk group, and typically I don't show signs when I'm sick.

First shot, I think I maybe got a mild headache?  Could be allergy because Florida and pine trees.  Second one, yeah, was tired for sub 24 hours.  Personally, these two shots are probably the most mild shots I gotten over my years in the military. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

This is why my university’s senate denied a regular spring break. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Keepin it real Florida. 

On 3/21/2020 at 5:47 AM, akio123008 said:

Pro tip:

- toilet paper

- paper towels

- tissues

- napkins

- and other papery products

Can be used interchangeably. 

Consider not being picky this time when the tissues you wanted aren't there but you're right next to a pile of toilet paper.

With all the soccer moms screaming that they need to wipe their kids' a**es, why not invest in some baby wipes?

haha broskie like dab my guy

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

They likely should - there's precedence for them being cancelled before.

The problem is that Tokyo has spent a huge amount of money building the infrastructure already. During the War they were cancelled before this point, if they cancelled Tokyo now then its money spent on nothing.

Also wanted to share this video, anybody whose worried about not getting "the best" vaccine should watch it...

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Lots of them do, sure. In fact, for many younger people, it's the only sports they do watch.

I much prefer watching the winter olypmics than the "normal" olympics

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The problem is that Tokyo has spent a huge amount of money building the infrastructure already. During the War they were cancelled before this point, if they cancelled Tokyo now then its money spent on nothing.

Sure, I totally understand why the Japanese Government doesn't want to cancel them. It's almost always about money in the end.

But, they should be canceled. Straight up. If money is the problem, then the various member countries should chip in to ease the loss of revenue or something.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Also wanted to share this video, anybody whose worried about not getting "the best" vaccine should watch it...

I'll have a look when I get a chance, but I suspect I know where that video is likely going (and I almost certainly agree with it).

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

Me too - most of the sports are just more interesting to me, such as Skiing, snowboarding, etc. Never the less, either version is still interesting to catch on TV every now and then.

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

As a Canadian, "normal" Olympics ARE the winter Olympics 😛

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

As a Canadian, "normal" Olympics ARE the winter Olympics 😛

As an Alaskan I can confirm.

Waited a few days to post this just to make sure I didn't end up with any late side effects. Got my first Moderna shot 4 or 5 days ago. Slight soreness the first day. Second day turned into feeling like I got punched in the arm. No major pain, just a dull ache for a day or two. I didnt get a fever or headache.

I also don't get sick often in general. Flu tends to avoid me and flu shots have never given me side effects. So YMMV.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Had a shot of Bleomycin today, vaccine can't be worst.

Was about to sever my foot with a machete when the Tylenol finally kicked in. 

Even though we failed in other aspects regarding the pandemic, I think the US gets a grade A for vaccine rollout. My county/city is about 30% vaccinated with at least one shot.

https://consumer.healthday.com/biden-met-100-million-vaccinations-goal-early-2651169186.html

An average of about 2.2 million doses each day are going into the arms of Americans.

Getting my last Pfizer shot later today.

My dad got his shot today. Not sure which one but I know its not the Johnson and Johnson one. He had an 11am appointment. Got their about 10:20 and said he was seen and out of their by 11am. So I guess they didnt have too many show up, or they have a better system in place. Because after the shot you have to wait there for 15 min to ensure you dont have a bad reaction. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 3/18/2021 at 7:09 AM, dalekphalm said:

My fiancee had her first shot on Monday - turns out it was Pfizer. Her reaction was very minimal. Her arm became slightly sore about 4  hours after the shot (shot was at around 4 PM, soreness was late in the evening). The next day her arm hurt a bit more but was fine by the evening.

Unfortunately (Thanks Doug), we found out that her appointment to get the 2nd shot is in... July. Fucking July. She has to wait Four months to get the booster shot (Pfizer recommends 21 days between boosters, and specifically recommended that the Government not space them out just to get more people on Shot #1).

Fuck that made me mad when she got the 2nd shot appointment date. All just so that "on paper" it looks like we're vaccinating more people.

Yes, having the 1st shot means she has better protection then nothing, but the booster is what provides the massive immune boost.

New Zealand (in its own media) is apparently a world leader regarding COVID. I'm getting my first shot in July, at the earliest. Dumbass Ministry of Health ordered the vaccines late, so we haven't got many. I might get mine earlier, because my mother is immunosuppressed, but I doubt it. The MoH here is utterly incompetent. 

I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast and they had a guy saying COVID is just a common cold or whatnot, taking lots of Vitamin D etc, all that baloney. (As an aside for other people - COVID is probably harmless, but we go into lockdowns for the sake of other people - even a low death rate of like 0.2%, is still a huge number of simply unnecessary deaths). So Joe and the guest are obviously nutters when it comes to COVID, but the guest said that COVID is probably the most mismanaged event in recent history, which I completely agree with. 

• Initial stringent lockdowns proved to be more harmful, introducing more poverty etc, by the WHO - although they did support localised lockdowns. 
  • Whole debacle with vaccine availability, and now the EU taking exports of vaccines destined outside of EU. 
  • Pretty much Trump's entire stance towards COVID, and the misinformation pandemic - I imagine anti-vaxxers who don't understand safety in medicines are certainly on the rise.
  • To add, NZers see themselves as people with a lot of common sense - but crikey we are a stupid lot when it comes to science. Every time the media posts a COVID-related news, whole lot of COVID-deniers, anti-vaxxers pop up. Clearly the public education has failed - biggest burden for any vaccine/medicine rollout. Not to mention every doctor with an interest in public health or epidemiology is crapping out garbage publications, just makes a mess of what to really look for.

Sorry for the big rant, but I'm really frustrated. Our governments can, and should do better. Let's hope we are well-prepared for next time a pandemic hits. 

I think on the plus side, they discovered a higher rate of protection with a longer duration (3 mo) between shots. That was with the Oxford Vaccine however. 

35 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I'm getting my first shot in July, at the earliest. Dumbass Ministry of Health ordered the vaccines late, so we haven't got many.

Is it a former colonies thing? Same here.

Is it a former colonies thing? Same here.

No, I think it’s just lazy attitude we have in NZ towards COVID. Many people want to wait simply because we can. Silly.