COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul

This new thread is to replace the old thread on discussion about the novel CoronaVirus (COVID-19).

Here are the rules if you are to reply ;

• No political discussion, that is, complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or it's voters, etc... (a country's response, current policy, and state on the COVID-19 can be discussed, but no partisanship will be tolerated),
  • No antagonizing of any kind,
  • No conspiracy theories (hoax, bioweapon, etc...), there are PLENTY of facts published by reputable scientist and science teams,
  • No replies to incite fears or to be dismissive ; be alert, not anxious (thx Dr. Mike),
  • Do not be dismissive toward other's fears or concerns.
  • Misunderstanding and not knowing something isn't against the rules, but being dismissive and/or aggressive when corrected is, keep an open mind and keep the discussion friendly.

Failure to comply with these rules means you are asked not to post in this thread. Continuing to post will be treated as arguing with moderation. Please read Community Standard about what are moderators rights in terms of content posted, and it's removal, on the forums.

This thread is meant to discuss and share facts, experiences, fears, concerns, and questions about the current pandemic, if you want to vent about politics, or share your most recent conspiracy theory on the subject, I suggest other platforms, as any of the rules broken will result in your reply being removed and a warning issued.

The old thread ;

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1149427-corona-virus/

Relevant links ;

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china

https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus

How to properly wash your hands ;

Edited by wkdpaul
fixed OCD issues

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Pro tip:

- toilet paper

- paper towels

- tissues

- napkins

- and other papery products

Can be used interchangeably. 

Consider not being picky this time when the tissues you wanted aren't there but you're right next to a pile of toilet paper.

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i think the problem are with toilet rolls and the extreme accumulation or lack of, not serviettes ._.

Yes mostly, but you're missing some context. In the supermarket that I work in, we had just managed to obtain a load of toilet paper from somewhere but no other items like tissues. Otherwise there'd have been nothing at all.

Also that was just one example, people also refuse to wipe their ass with paper towels. (that just points out you still have plenty of toilet paper left)

I’m gonna copy and paste what I’ve written on an earlier thread that got locked: 

Just a PSA to everyone, now is not the time to brag how immune you are. You are risking the lives of many people so please stay at home, and if you really need to buy necessities like food or medication, don’t bring your entire family outside just to buy those. Don’t be that asshole who will shout at a cop for politely asking you to return home because you brought three other family members in your car. You’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem!

You can do stuff at home like play with your dog, watch that Netflix series (sorry 480p Netflix in Europe, we in Asia still get 1080p and 4K), read those books, learn how to cook, workout using your body weight, whatever to take your stress away. 

Also right now is not the time to be disgusting because so wash your hands for 20 seconds before rinsing and for the love of god, take a bath everyday regardless of your weather condition. No evidence shows that antimicrobial soaps are more effective than regular bath soaps so it doesn’t matter what brand.

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

My wifes work was deemed essential (food services for homebound elderly already in place for last 40 years) and required to take on any new constituents.  They are promised any overhead beyond the norm will be covered by Federally funded NFP money distributors (like Meals on Wheels, etc - who by the way distributes zero meals, they are a middle man that takes your donated money, Government allocated money (your taxes), and pays CEOs that then distributes the monies as they see fit to organizations like my wifes across the Country(see also, for Profit but I digress).

Just info sharing

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Pro tip:

- toilet paper

- paper towels

- tissues

- napkins

- and other papery products

Can be used interchangeably. 

Consider not being picky this time when the tissues you wanted aren't there but you're right next to a pile of toilet paper.

Paper towels, tissues, napkins, baby wipes, female hygiene products, and so on are not flushable. They can clog the pipes and cost tens of thousands of dollars to be removed. If you are going to use any non-flushables to clean yourself then dispose of them in the garbage.

Only flush toilet paper and your bodily waste.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

but evian or dasani though?

(sorry, had to get that out of my head ,_,)

Inb4 some rich dude buys all the Evian in the supermarket in thinking that rinsing using it removes more viruses that tap water... xD

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Im a prepper so heres a few tips:

You are currently being asked to "Bug-In", but you should still prepare a "But-Out" bag.  Just in case you have to get out.

Water hasn't been 100% targeted by the masses yet, either purchase containers or water now and fill if you can afford it (or buy bottled) (do your research 1 drop of bleach to keep clean etc etc).  Not to hoard, but to drink if needed.  Water purification tablets or Lifestraws if you can.

Dried fruit hasn't been targeted by the masses, lasts a good amount of time also.  Can absolutely restrict your need to go grocery shopping for fruits (quick perishables) - can do the same with canned vegetables - just take less salt in from other places to mitigate the preservatives in canned veggies.

If electric is cut, your freezer is useless.  Meat hoarding isn't advised, dried meat hording is.  Learn to make it now, not when the freezer goes out and you have 8 roasts and no game plan.

Potatoes when stored properly can last 2-3 months, are cheap, filling and easy to cook

Onions properly stored can last up to a year, flavor flavor flavor - better than eating things without some tastiness.

Flour properly stored lasts up to 6 - 8 months.  And making your own bread isn't expensive at all.  Learn now while at home going stir crazy.

Vegetable oil (opened but sealed between uses) can last up to a year

Corn Meal - 1+ year

Salt - flavor

Pepper - flavor

Theres thousands of other things but these are some basics - you will probably consume any of the above items within 1 year if you actually use it.  So buying it in preparation, learning to cook with it, and honing that skill now - if the proverbial poo hits the proverbial oscillation - is imperative to individual comfort.

Ill post more but I have to get back to work, if there is any interest

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

-paper tips-

Also, wet wipes are a thing that some people may have too (especially those with babies).

But please don't flush wet wipes in the toilet. 

It's clogging the pipes and is a serious problems.

Even the ones that claims to be "flushable".

Try taking one and putting it in a bucket of water.

If it doesn't "disintegrate" itself within a few minutes, it ain't God damn flushable and will clog the pipes.

In other news, dumb woman with Covid_19 doesn't respect quarantine order, gets arrested.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/a-woman-who-tested-positive-for-covid-19-was-arrested-in-quebec-city-after-she-left-isolation-1.4862611

alternate link to different news source:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-police-arrest-covid-19-1.5505349

Looking at Twitter for the reaction of people on that story, other than maybe 2 or 3 people, pretty much everyone else was on board with her getting arrested.

She's a literal danger to everyone and is willingly putting the health of others at risk with her selfishness. If she needed groceries or anything else, those can be ordered online or even by phone. There's no excuse.

She was arrested under the "Public Health Act".

Quebec's Public Health Act gives authorities broad powers during a public health emergency if someone jeopardizes the health and safety of others. The province declared a 10-day public health emergency — the first in its history — on Saturday.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm not sure how I feel about the entire Corona Virus thing.
Obviously it's killed people but the question is how many people have this thing, feel fine and don't know they have it.
The reason why I say this is because look at people like the Miami Mayor and the NBA players who all got tested, some have it and feel fine.

Being this said it feels like rolling a 100 side dice and if you roll a 1-5 you die.

And every person you meet has to roll dice.

Anyway I've been folding away with the LTT folding crew but wish we had more WUs. 

homeofmew (homeofmew#1337)

[ | folding@home | F@A Extreme Over Clocking | Bionic | ]

Bachelors of Science in Mathematics, University of Houston

46 minutes ago, homeofmew said:

The reason why I say this is because look at people like the Miami Mayor and the NBA players who all got tested, some have it and feel fine.

It really depends on the person. If you're young and healthy(like an active NBA player), the symptoms will more likely be similar to the flu but not as visible for some. Respiratory issues, fever and what not, not things that are visible basically. Maybe even less depending on your immune system's response to it.

For others though, like old people, it can get worse. I highly suggest you watch this video to get a full understanding of what happens when your immune system is unable to cope

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Also, wet wipes are a thing that some people may have too (especially those with babies).

But please don't flush wet wipes in the toilet. 

It's clogging the pipes and is a serious problems.

Even the ones that claims to be "flushable".

Try taking one and putting it in a bucket of water.

If it doesn't "disintegrate" itself within a few minutes, it ain't God damn flushable and will clog the pipes.

Spoiler

In other news, dumb woman with Covid_19 doesn't respect quarantine order, gets arrested.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/a-woman-who-tested-positive-for-covid-19-was-arrested-in-quebec-city-after-she-left-isolation-1.4862611

alternate link to different news source:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-police-arrest-covid-19-1.5505349

Looking at Twitter for the reaction of people on that story, other than maybe 2 or 3 people, pretty much everyone else was on board with her getting arrested.

She's a literal danger to everyone and is willingly putting the health of others at risk with her selfishness. If she needed groceries or anything else, those can be ordered online or even by phone. There's no excuse.

She was arrested under the "Public Health Act".

I'm glad they're enforcing this strictly.  I've already seen too many people who think the social distancing rule doesn't apply to them, or don't believe the virus is serious (including at least one person from the earlier locked thread).  We need to make clear that you're gambling with people's lives if you're infected and step outside.

Edited by LogicalDrm

seems like some young people have gotten really sick as well 20-30 years old, here in the United States we don't exactly know if they have other underlying things because of HIPPA, but in general it does seem to hit the elderly a lot more (what's happening to the elderly in Italy)

homeofmew (homeofmew#1337)

[ | folding@home | F@A Extreme Over Clocking | Bionic | ]

Bachelors of Science in Mathematics, University of Houston

The local news just ran a story on Covid_19... To tell us that the most common symptoms are not just "flu-like", but are respiratory issues. (which we know)

By that, it means things like shortness of breath, having some trouble breathing in/out, cough...

Because apparently too many people were still associating it with just the flu without understanding it properly.

Then she notes other common symptoms, which may include loss of smell without your nose being clogged up and is sometimes accompanied by a loss of taste too.

Funnily enough, half of patients are reporting light diarrhea. Justifying people buying toilet paper, I guess.

Article in French

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2020/03/21/le-symptome-le-plus-specifique-de-la-covid-19

Not too sure how valid it is considering who is talking about this (Not a doctor, just a pharmacist), but if it helps identify the symptoms for some people...

I for one certainly didn't know it could cause things like shortness of breath or apparently the loss of smell/taste in some people as well...

Just came back from shopping in my nearest mall.

The way security is enforcing the "distancing" makes me :-S

And I discovered a few changes since last Thursday:

• starting Monday the only mean of payment accepted will be Card. No more money.
  • starting Monday, all the counters will be closed and only the packaged food will be available (cheese, fruits & vegetables, meat, etc.). NOT COOL!!
  • the new crazy buying: laundry washing soap and softener and dish-washer liquid soap. The alleys were empty! O_o

I'm glad I finally managed to find an frontal thermometer, and only for 16€ (people didn't think to check the baby aisle...).  I've been looking for one for the past 2 weeks and simply couldn't find any nowhere... And the only ones I found on Amazon where some with a starting price of 130€ most of them coming from China... :-S

Rice and Pasta are still empty, but the cans aisle has been replenished.

The Government voted the extension of the State of Emergency. It was first for 10 days, today they voted it for the next 3 months.

Here the situation is starting to be dire in the hospitals: 670 patients infected (484 yesterday) and 8 deaths (in 1 week). The numbers just soared since yesterday... *sigh*

My daughter is starting to be scared.

I’m getting additional hazard pay when going to my grocery retail job now. Legit though I’m scared when driving to work. But it goes away once I get there. Lots of “I appreciate you” comments have increased tenfold too.

I didn’t believe this until I saw it. I’ve been in bumper to bumper traffic each time I visited LA.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

50 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Just came back from shopping in my nearest mall.

[...]

I went shopping yesterday, the social distancing (we have the 1m min distance rule) is respected by most people, but there are some issues

• in some shops, the aisles are so narrow that you cannot pass the person in front of you without violating the rule. This causes people either ignoring it or long waiting times if a slower person is in front of you.
  • I have seen people standing somewhere making phone calls on the sidewalk where it can be difficult to pass them at a sufficient distance, Fortunately, the roads are not that busy so this can be solved in a reasonable amount of time in many cases.

The stores themselves are quite well-stocked, I even managed to get some toilet paper and there was still some left. I assume that most of the people susceptible to panic buying have already stocked up on toilet paper by now.

I have heard from people working in the health sector that they will be issued documents certifying that they are working in that sector. It looks like this might be used should additional restrictions on movement be adopted.

This is more of an anecdote of something that happened recently to me than a Coronavirus fact, but yesterday I had to run to the local pharmacy to get some family members medications. These medications are necessary and I'm taking all reasonable precautions when I go out.

There was only one other person in the checkout line, and it's a pharmacy, so I gave the person about 2 meters of clearance. A third person walked up behind me. And I mean right behind me. So I jeered at her over my shoulder, moved forward about a meter, and the lady then stepped up again. Right behind me.

So, now within a meter of the guy at the counter and wanting to respect both his distancing and privacy at the pharmacy counter, and with this lady right behind me, I turned around, stared her dead in the eye, and moved a meter to the side.

So there I am, about 3 meters diagonally from the line, next up in line with this wonderful lady about a meter away to my right side when an old friend of mine walks up to my left side to get in line. He stays about a meter away. Good job.

The lady sees this, figures cutting in line is now ok, and steps so close to me that her jacket rubs me. Not to mention that she just cut in front of me in the line. I didn't know what else to do, so I just left and came back later.

Guys, please don't be like this lady. You never know what other people are doing right now and why they don't want to be next to people. They might have some very vulnerable family members at home that require care that does not allow them to practice true isolation.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

The coveted commodity.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

i think the problem are with toilet rolls and the extreme accumulation or lack of, not serviettes ._.

The biggest laugh is people are buying up toilet paper here - it's actually made right here in town. 

Meanwhile the supermarket was completely out of Chicken breast and rice, my favourite foods :(

Just now, straight_stewie said:

I didn't know what else to do, so I just left and came back later.

Did you consider at any point telling her "could you please keep a larger distance" or something?