COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul

My mother finally got her first shot. Moderna vaccine, when the pharmacy in her store had extra. Hadn’t gotten it until now. I guess when she saw I am fine after my vaccination she finally took it while other family members would argue against taking it.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

On 3/19/2021 at 10:45 AM, wkdpaul said:

Yeah, it's really not popular for some reason, and people keep complaining about privacy (good thing to be worried about), while posting on Facebook from their phone (oh the irony).

People "worried" about being microchipped by the COVID vaccine while posting that on their phone with a GPS and broadcasting its position to a radio tower 24/7 to a social media network that knows more about them than the federal government after driving to a coffee shop with their car with a serial number that they registered with the state government so they can buy a latte with a debit card attached to a bank account they opened with their photo ID and social security number is the funniest thing. If the government wanted to track you then they already have everything at their disposal to do so, no fake vaccine needed.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

People "worried" about being microchipped by the COVID vaccine while posting that on their phone with a GPS and broadcasting its position to a radio tower 24/7 to a social media network that knows more about them than the federal government after driving to a coffee shop with their car with a serial number that they registered with the state government so they can buy a latte with a debit card attached to a bank account they opened with their photo ID and social security number is the funniest thing. If the government wanted to track you then they already have everything at their disposal to do so, no fake vaccine needed.

Of all the pseudo-science and tinfoil-hattery surrounding these vaccines, the microchip angle has to be the dumbest. Clearly the people believing it are ignorant, because if we had microchips with GPS and whatever else they think are in these right now, we'd be injecting dementia patients and criminals we need to keep and eye on with them already; There are legitimately practical uses for technology that could pull that off, of course it's sci-fi impossibility.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

3 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Of all the pseudo-science and tinfoil-hattery surrounding these vaccines, the microchip angle has to be the dumbest. Clearly the people believing it are ignorant, because if we had microchips with GPS and whatever else they think are in these right now, we'd be injecting dementia patients and criminals we need to keep and eye on with them already; There are legitimately practical uses for technology that could pull that off, of course it's sci-fi impossibility.

I'd be pretty impressed if they could implant microchips with a vaccine needle ngl. Would be really awesome to monitor patients serological markers in real-time. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

I'd be pretty impressed if they could implant microchips with a vaccine needle ngl. Would be really awesome to monitor patients serological markers in real-time. 

Yeah. Having seen the size of microchips vets inject into cats & dogs, those are not going through an intravenous needle.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Parents in-laws got their vaccine shot yesterday, they got the Pfizer one, the second shot appointment is for July (don't remember the date). They have some soreness but otherwise are fine.

My mom and her husband have their appointment for the mid of April (it's slower in their area).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Parents in-laws got their vaccine shot yesterday, they got the Pfizer one, the second shot appointment is for July (don't remember the date). They have some soreness but otherwise are fine.

My mom and her husband have their appointment for the mid of April (it's slower in their area).

What is with Canada and these long, drawn-out periods between doses? Don't Pfizer and Moderna specifically recommend not doing this, instead giving a two week period between shots?

4 minutes ago, Nowak said:

What is with Canada and these long, drawn-out periods between doses? Don't Pfizer and Moderna specifically recommend not doing this, instead giving a two week period between shots?

Don't know, the gov prefers to have everyone with at least 1 dose, than half the population on their 2 doses, I also think it's 21-28 days between doses, not 2 weeks, but still, it's pretty ridiculous (I think it's at 90 days here now ?)

EDIT  ; nope, it's now 120 days, up from 90 days previously ;

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-to-stretch-delay-for-second-vaccine-doses-to-four-months-up-from-three-1.5332749

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Yes the vaccine manufacturers recommend about 2 or 3 weeks (21 days for the Pfizer one, I believe).

Canada is following the UK vaccination model: Giving more people the initial shot will help more than getting less people both shots.

And as much as I really dislike this notion, there is merit to it.

For starters, the initial shot generally gives a similar (slightly reduced) immunity response as both shots - the second shot is more for longevity than actual protective strength.

Second, some initial CDC data actually points to 1st out of 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine being around 80% effective at preventing infections (not just preventing COVID-19 - the illness, but actually stopping SARS-CoV-2 from infecting you to begin with). Both shots bring that up to around 90%, according to their data.

This is good for two reasons:

1. It means that the initial dose is an effective means at short term protection.

2. It also means the holy grail of vaccines is true: The COVID vaccines actually help to significantly reduce infection rate

This could mean no need for yearly boosters, and could also mean COVID-19 is effectively killed and starved, if enough people get vaccinated (as opposed to just being weakened to the level of a common cold). This could potentially lead to the eradication of COVID-19.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 hours ago, Nowak said:

There is higher efficacy with a longer duration between shots (proven via Oxford vaccine in UK)

Most likely however, this is actually due to vaccine availability and health infrastructure burden. 

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Most likely however, this is actually due to vaccine availability and health infrastructure burden. 

Pretty much. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

There is higher efficacy with a longer duration between shots (proven via Oxford vaccine in UK)

That might be true for some vaccines, but you cannot apply that as a universal to all vaccines (COVID or otherwise).

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

This is precisely what the UK and Canadian governments are doing - they're certainly not extending the 2nd dose (4 months in Canada's case) because of some idea that it'll be more effective if they do so.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

That might be true for some vaccines, but you cannot apply that as a universal to all vaccines (COVID or otherwise).

This is precisely what the UK and Canadian governments are doing - they're certainly not extending the 2nd dose (4 months in Canada's case) because of some idea that it'll be more effective if they do so.

That was mainly the basis in the UK - the study was retrospective I believe. 

Greatful that I got my second does 21 days after the first, to the day.

The US has botched the absolute crap out of most of the pandemic, but the tiered vaccine program worked really well. The emphasis on starting with the highest risk people and working down to the lowest risk people seems to be working rather well, at least in the area I live.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

My states just opened vaccinations up to all adults as of Monday. I have one family member in my covid bubble that's getting their second dose in a few days, and another that just became eligible and is working to schedule theirs. Getting close now.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Starting April 15th in California, those who are 16 years or older are eligible for the vaccine. 

https://apnews.com/article/california-vaccinate-16-older-in-3-weeks-3e33679ef4514fe6b7ebaf35c96aebb6

My university already sent out an email to students in hopes that we will get vaccinated. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Got my first dose today and apparently my next is mid June. Scanned the QR code on my card and info says the next shot can be put 4~12 weeks after the first one. AstraZeneca btw.

In Montréal 100k elderly out of a pop of roughly 450k have no appointment booked for vaccination. Darwin Award right there. 

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sante/383179/vaccination-a-montreal-plus-de-100-000-sexagenaires-nont-toujours-pas-pris-de-rendez-vous

1 hour ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Just another day in Poland. From 8 AM today we started registration for people in age 40-59 and the whole system went down due to the number of people willing to register.

With that, the whole online healthcare system went down and those who were already waiting in line for the dose were told there is nothing that can be done about it.

Also starting from today we have a Census running which online service also went down because of that.

Sounds like good intentions but the infrastructure couldn't handle all the load.

19 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

https://www.journaldequebec.com/2021/04/01/120-cas-de-covid-19-lies-au-mega-fitness-gym-1

At least 120 cases from gym that defied all measures. 

I literally keep coming across posts in my local Buy Sell group on Facebook about people asking for Gyms that will defy the closure orders.

I hope each and every gym gets reported and fined.

Fuck people that are just making it worse for the rest of us.

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I literally keep coming across posts in my local Buy Sell group on Facebook about people asking for Gyms that will defy the closure orders.

I hope each and every gym gets reported and fined.

Fuck people that are just making it worse for the rest of us.

English version ;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/gym-outbreak-quebec-city-1.5973890

His stupidity actually made the government close all non-essential business in the area for a few weeks, before this, the COVID cases per day were around 20 IIRC (in that area).

That gym owner single handedly closed a whole city with his stupidity !

2 minutes ago, WrdPeter said:

English version ;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/gym-outbreak-quebec-city-1.5973890

His stupidity actually made the government close all non-essential business in the area for a few weeks, before this, the COVID cases per day were around 20 IIRC (in that area).

That gym owner single handedly closed a whole city with his stupidity !

But of course people will try and argue "Gym's aren't where the cases are happening!" or "How is that different from Walmart?"

For starters, groceries are essential. Gyms (sorry any Gym owner here) are not. You can work out quite effectively from home. You can go on walks or hikes or bike rides, etc. Gyms are a luxury that not everyone can even afford.

Second, Walmart offers online shopping, and contactless curbside grocery pickup (we have been doing this almost exclusively for several months now).

Third, literally any crowds or gatherings are bad. Including inside Walmart. But it's about LIMITING UNNECESSARY contact. Less is better. We can't get to zero and expect society to still function, but we can reduce unnecessary contact and trips as much as is possible.