COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
On 2/28/2021 at 12:14 PM, minibois said:

1. Most of the vaccinations are reported to be ~95% effective, meaning people still can get sick from the virus if I'm understanding this correctly?

well if everyone at the inperson thing has the vaccine, the chances of someone who is contagious coming to the event are already slim,  But then you take in the fact that everyone else is vaccinated and wearing masks and the chance of catching decreases extremely. But yes, theoretically someone could still get sick even if everyone at the event had a covid passport, but the chances would be extremely, extremely slim.

On 2/28/2021 at 12:14 PM, minibois said:

2. The other concern I have, is that people with this vaccination can still carry the virus and - through whatever means - transmit them to others, including those without the vaccination (or with it for that matter), is that correct?

you could still carry it, but the chance of carrying would also be reduced 95%. If were on the same page carrying meaning being infected, but asymptomatic.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

At least some faith remaining in parts of humanity, some countries know how to stop a pandemic.

https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/explained-new-zealand-bans-travellers-from-india-will-other-countries-follow-7264032/

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 4/8/2021 at 3:12 PM, 12345678 said:

Anyway, I'm sorry but I just don't understand what's the point of vaccinating the elders first, unless it's not for politcal reasons / testing reasons

most of the contacts are made from youngster and middle ages, and they usually are numerically inferior to elders, so it would take less time to vaccinate those, and at the same time you will decrease the spreading of it

As far as I've heard, if a vaccinated person is in contact with infected, then there is still possibility that vaccinated one might spread the virus afterwards. Therefore, vaccinated youth, might still bring it home, school, etc

9 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

As far as I've heard, if a vaccinated person is in contact with infected, then there is still possibility that vaccinated one might spread the virus afterwards. Therefore, vaccinated youth, might still bring it home, school, etc

yeah you're right, but those are part of the population who generally have more contact with people

also I struggle to say it, but frankly I just don't understand giving the priority to some old geezer over 90, who might aswell die for something else one day or another one, futhermore usually that demography of population is huge in respect to the others, and in theory they can aswell have less contact with others

just getting annoyed with all those gerontopolitics

Pass through a park to get to work; no distancing, no masks (or on the chin). Full of people, almost never seen.

I salute the medical personel who still have empathy for most of their patients.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:29 AM, FakeATF said:

I'm not Anti-vax or whatever, and I haven't really followed the vaccine. As for why would I not get it? Well, in my area they are only doing clinics of 200 doses at a time, and since i'm not in a risk group and there are a lot of geriatric people who live here, I figure that it'd be best for them to get theirs before I do.

On 4/7/2021 at 10:44 AM, dalekphalm said:

I'm not saying that you should try and get it before people who are at high risk do.

But once it becomes available to the general public, there is literally no reason for you to avoid it. COVID can still post a risk to a younger person, even if the risk of death is next to zero.

I know it's a few days late, but to add to this. If it's open for the general public, there's a good chance that the people in that age group that would have gotten it are choosing not to. This leads to three reasons to get it. 1) you want it. 2) that means less people in the vulnerable group aren't getting it, which makes for more reason for us to get it. (I know us getting it won't keep us from transmitting all the time, but it makes it more likely that people in your area could have it). 3) They have a shelf life. If it's available, it'll go bad before too long. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

16 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

I know it's a few days late, but to add to this. If it's open for the general public, there's a good chance that the people in that age group that would have gotten it are choosing not to. This leads to three reasons to get it. 1) you want it. 2) that means less people in the vulnerable group aren't getting it, which makes for more reason for us to get it. (I know us getting it won't keep us from transmitting all the time, but it makes it more likely that people in your area could have it). 3) They have a shelf life. If it's available, it'll go bad before too long. 

There are ~11,000 people who live in my area (3 towns that are right next to each other) and they've probably only done a dozen or so vaccine clinics. I think people keep misreading what I meant. I probably will get vaccinated, it's just a matter of when.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

9 minutes ago, FakeATF said:

There are ~11,000 people who live in my area (3 towns that are right next to each other) and they've probably only done a dozen or so vaccine clinics. I think people keep misreading what I meant. I probably will get vaccinated, it's just a matter of when.

I think the reason people are "misinterpreting" (and not misreading) what you meant, is because you said:

unno when or even if I'll get vaccinated because i'm not required to do it yet.

Emphasis mine.

People think you might not get vaccinated, because you said you might not get vaccinated.

If that's not the case, I apologize for misinterpreting your statement, but it's difficult to interpret the statement otherwise.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, FakeATF said:

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I think the reason people are "misinterpreting" (and not misreading) what you meant, is because you said:

Emphasis mine.

People think you might not get vaccinated, because you said you might not get vaccinated.

If that's not the case, I apologize for misinterpreting your statement, but it's difficult to interpret the statement otherwise.

I went on a little bit of an anecdotal rant there, but that is exactly why I thought you were thinking about not getting it.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

I went on a little bit of an anecdotal rant there, but that is exactly why I thought you were thinking about not getting it.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Emphasis mine.

Lol I forgot that I even put that there. whoops

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

Just now, FakeATF said:

Lol I forgot that I even put that there. whoops

No problem! I was as much saying that to anyone that might be reading that is in the same position as you are.

While we need to think about our communities and make sure that the people that need the vaccine get it, there's been enough clinics (At least here in the states and a few other countries) that the people who need it, should have gotten it if they want it. It's time to think of ourselves to help everyone. If that makes sense. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 4/9/2021 at 10:12 AM, 12345678 said:

Anyway, I'm sorry but I just don't understand what's the point of vaccinating the elders first, unless it's not for politcal reasons / testing reasons

Old people have terrible immune systems and their lymphatics are not great. The most notable change to your immune system as you age is your naive T cell population gets depleted - this is as more memory T cells are generated as your body has fought off more infections. This means your chance of detecting a virus, or other pathogen, that your body hasn't seen before is impaired. Viral innate immunity is impaired in other ways in elderly individuals - low NK cell populations mean a virus can take hold fairly easily. This is demonstrated epidemiologically in the higher mortality rate for COVID in old people. 

On 4/9/2021 at 10:12 AM, 12345678 said:

most of the contacts are made from youngster and middle ages, and they usually are numerically inferior to elders, so it would take less time to vaccinate those, and at the same time you will decrease the spreading of it

Younger individuals have a much lower risk of mortality than aged individuals. We would ideally like to prevent death, so we target aged and immunosuppressed individuals first. 

On 4/9/2021 at 10:15 AM, 12345678 said:

meanwhile again politics is just a pain in the ass, like in Italy, yeah we should also vaccinate for first teachers and lawyers because they have contact with the public

but those are BULLSHITS, most of those jobs are being done remotely, they have no fucking reasons to be vaccinated for first, but you know, those factions have also huge influence to governments

Those are bullshit, I agree. Like politicians getting vaccinated first as well. Makes sense for a prime minister or president to get the jab, but it should be limited to that. 

Politicians are not vaccinated first here. 

It works by age cohort. 

Next essential workers. Mostly teachers since we apparently really needed to open schools. 

On 4/9/2021 at 12:16 PM, Letgomyleghoe said:

well if everyone at the inperson thing has the vaccine, the chances of someone who is contagious coming to the event are already slim,  But then you take in the fact that everyone else is vaccinated and wearing masks and the chance of catching decreases extremely. But yes, theoretically someone could still get sick even if everyone at the event had a covid passport, but the chances would be extremely, extremely slim.

you could still carry it, but the chance of carrying would also be reduced 95%. If were on the same page carrying meaning being infected, but asymptomatic.

Just wanted to say on this topic

When you have a vaccine, it means your body can recognise and eliminate the viral replication portion of the vaccine. This secondary response can take hours to initiate, in that timeframe there may be some infected cells that can mean the virus is able to spread from a vaccinated individual - it would really depend on viral load, as would symptoms (it would often be asymptomatic as the innate immune system will not be as activated, as the adaptive immune system is initiated much quicker)

Many people think of vaccine efficacy like you can either be immune or not, whether the vaccine works. It's not quite black and white. You have three main components, the epitope (the bit of the virus we want the immune system to recognise), the vector (you've probably heard of the adenovirus vector, or an mRNA vaccine), and an adjuvant. The last one is important to stimulate the immune system, thats why people often get flu-like effects - thats the innate system reacting and detecting the vaccine. What we want to initiate with a vaccine is a T-cell dependent antibody response (TDAR). T cells are important for activation of B cells to produce antibodies. If successful, the vaccine will produce the correct antibody response.

Sometimes it's not quite as effective in some individuals due to HLA haplotypes - HLA is a molecule in our bodies that recognises the epitope and varies with different people. The binding affinity of the epitope to the HLA molecule may determine how significant the T cell response is. If we don't have a significant T cell response, we still might get an antibody response, however the antibody response may be different, not quite as effective at eliminating the virus. 

So vaccine effectiveness can vary person to person by many factors, and response varies. However it is important to remember that a vaccine is much better than 'natural immunity' (whatever that is lol). There is much less chance of antigenic sin - where the immune system recognises a portion of the virus that is not a conserved region, or the viral replicating region, so there is a chance of re-infection. Moreover, you may have complications from the primary infection. 

Greetings from Montréal

https://www.reddit.com/r/mcgill/comments/mny5mt/just_disappointing_tbh/

My county/city is now almost 25% fully vaccinated. Hope this keeps up ahead of summer because we are a tourist hotspot.

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2021/apr/09/san-diego-county-nearing-25-fully-vaccinated-again/

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Protest the curfew, attack small businesses. 

7 hours ago, Benji said:

I have no idea what these idiots think they're doing, but apparently their brains don't work appropriately anymore. Every time someone "protests" against something, other innocent people have to suffer because these tools start randomly destroying other people's property.

"Oh, hey, an excuse for wanton violence! IDIOT SMASH!"

They don't give a shit about the harm they may cause others, they only care about letting go of any shred of dignity and causing harm to anything and anyone in their sights.

8 hours ago, Benji said:

I have no idea what these idiots think they're doing, but apparently their brains don't work appropriately anymore. Every time someone "protests" against something, other innocent people have to suffer because these tools start randomly destroying other people's property.

Protesting government COVID rules by smashing small businesses is painfully idiotic. Small and local business already have a hard time because of all the COVID restriction already, having to deal with this on top must be so frustrating !

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Canadian gets double lungs transplant because of COVID related permanent damages to his lungs ;

https://www.cp24.com/news/mississauga-man-with-covid-destroyed-lungs-receives-double-lung-transplant-1.5383613

People should really think about it twice, just like the gym outbreak (now linked to 440+ infections), you might be fine and COVID might be nothing to you, but the people you infect might not be as lucky.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Canadian gets double lungs transplant because of COVID related permanent damages to his lungs ;

https://www.cp24.com/news/mississauga-man-with-covid-destroyed-lungs-receives-double-lung-transplant-1.5383613

People should really think about it twice, just like the gym outbreak (now linked to 440+ infections), you might be fine and COVID might be nothing to you, but the people you infect might not be as lucky.

That would require that people think about anyone but themselves - which is clearly impossible.

I unfortunately live in a college town that students party.

I saw a party that was unmasked ugh.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, Rauten said:

That would require that people think about anyone but themselves - which is clearly impossible.

My state is a fantastic example of this. And of course, I get to live in one of the worst counties. This is fine.

Unrelated, Montana do be lookin' mighty fine right about now. At least it's not solid fucking red.

image.thumb.png.dd143e6716bb01e0f96051a1a64a14ac.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)