Freesync works on Nvidia Cards

Nicnac

There seems to be a workaround that allows you to use an Nvidia card with freesync. All you need is an amd APU.

https://wccftech.com/freesync-working-with-geforce-gtx-cards-but-there-is-a-catch/

Don't expect everything to work fine though:

The catch here is that to get it working you’ll need to be using an APU, we went with a Ryzen 5 2400G as it was similar to the posters 2200G.  Based on the way it works it should work with any APU that has the necessary output to a Freesync capable monitor.  We stepped things up a notch to use the GTX 1070 with our 2400G to try and capture some performance metrics and see if there was any perceivable latency issues.  We did find a couple abnormalities, the biggest being Unigine Valley was simply acting strange and never performed right, but it’s only being used as a demonstration in the below video.

Here's the original Reddit post by a user making his 1060 run freesync:

Would be pretty cool to see this work, though probably not intended by Nvidia. Do you think they are going to nerf this workaround or not care?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

This is big news, I hope people are able to replicate it.

Who wants to run an APU with a decent GPU though?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, Sylvie05 said:

People who want Gsync, but don't want to buy a Gsync monitor.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

I don't think there's really a relevant market of people who bought an APU instead of the 1600/2600 and also a highish end graphics card. I would love to be able to use Freesync on my Ngreedia card but this still doesn't really make it a viable option

That's an F in the profile pic

22 minutes ago, Sylvie05 said:

It'd be cheaper than to pay up for a Gsync monitor

Honestly, when you buy a 1060 class GPU and want freesync, just get a RX580. It's the better card anyway.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

More proof you dont need dedicated hardware inside monitor to run it any form of sync, just nvidia shenanigans.

Nvidia is my #1 most hated tech company atm and rising, intel is the second but nvidia is dwarfing anyone else, i cant really think of a company more stupid than nvidia on any form of electronics or new tech, all have pro's and con's but nvidia is stacking con's faster than i can keep up with them.

30 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Hell just froze over?

No wonder RTX costs so much! Gotta absorb that G-Sync module costs :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Now I wonder if this could work with a dedicated amd gpu as well and not just with the igpu.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

It sounds like the display output is routed through the amd iGPU perhaps which is why freesync would become supported? Not entirely sure how that part works though.

Now I'm just curious, could this work with an Intel cpu if intel enabled freesync support for its iGPUs?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

15 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It sounds like the display output is routed through the amd iGPU perhaps which is why freesync would become supported? Not entirely sure how that part works though.

Now I'm just curious, could this work with an Intel cpu if intel enabled freesync support for its iGPUs?

probably so...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

If you're going through all that trouble with specific ass hardware to run Freesync on an Nvidia card, why not get an AMD card at that point? Or, better yet, why not get a G-Sync monitor?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

>Can use AMD feature without having to buy AMD card

>Have to buy AMD processor instead

LMFAO

I don't think anyone is gonna go out and buy an apu for this lol. It's much more a nice solution for people who already have an apu rig and now have the choice whether they want to upgrade to an amd or nvidia dedicated gpu

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, Supportsneedlove said:

It'd be cheaper than to pay up for a Gsync monitor

You would still have a crappy CPU tho.

Doubt anyone would consider an APU +dGPU over a real CPU + dGPU.

10 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

You would still have a crappy CPU tho.

Doubt anyone would consider an APU +dGPU over a real CPU + dGPU.

You havent payed attention to the price of the 2200G have you?

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

More proof you dont need dedicated hardware inside monitor to run it any form of sync, just nvidia shenanigans.

Ehm, this doesn't prove that at all.

The way this works is by having a FreeSync monitor connected to an AMD GPU.

Then you have an Nvidia GPU which you force to do the rendering and calculations.

Then when a frame is done on the Nvidia GPU, it is copied over to the framebuffer of the AMD GPU, which then sends that to the monitor.

Also, this does not prove that you don't need dedicated hardware for "any form of sync". G-Sync and FreeSync works differently. Just because FreeSync doesn't need "dedicated hardware" (which it does, it's just that anyone can make it unlike the G-Sync module) doesn't mean G-Sync doesn't. G-Sync has quite a few features such as lightboost control built into it.

i'd rather have screen tearing than a bad CPU bottleneck tho...so thanks anyways :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Hell just froze over?

Nah just like with the physx on AMD exploit Nvidia will patch it out

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, exetras said:

This is big news, I hope people are able to replicate it.

No, its CAPTAIN OBVIOUS CALLING!

Because it doesn't work on nVidia, it works with AMD Card as a slave and NVIDIA Master Card.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Not yet, prep for incoming fix from nvidia just like what they did with physx.....

And full HDMI color range before they supported it. 
Im not joking

For years you were locked to limited color range on many hdmi devices and the only way to make it full was through a registry thing, which they eventually patched instead of adding full color range support like everyone begged. They patched the fix out long before they actually added support. 
"NVIDIA please add full colo range options to HDMI"
"No, and fuck you for doing it yourselves."

I wonder if itll be like this with integer scaling, something tons of people want yet amd and nvidia keep dragging their feet on. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch